ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-15-2019, 04:29 AM   #1
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Autosolutions SSK - noises?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to hear others' experience with increased transmission noise after installing an Autosolutions short shift kit, specifically in Z4Ms.

I had the kit installed along with Vibra-Technics engine mounts a couple of months' ago. Immediately I noticed a high-pitched whine in second gear that starts at about 2,500rpm and becomes higher-pitched as revs increase. The whine is also there in third gear but is much less obvious.

There are also clunks when the clutch is disengaged and a whirring sound in third gear and higher at lowish (~2,000rpm) revs.

None of these noises are super loud. With the air conditioning on you can barely hear them and with the windows down you can't hear them at all.

I was expecting some increase in NVH but I haven't read about these kinds of noises from other people who have installed the AS SSK.

The action of the shifter is great and there is no movement or vibration; it's just these noises that I want to get to the bottom of.

I've been corresponding with Ronald over email but we haven't come to any solid theories yet. Ronald says he hasn't been in many Z4Ms post-install, so he doesn't have a good grasp on what is normal.

I ran the car for a couple of hundred km to see if it would bed-in but nothing changed. I also tried a ZHP shift knob and no knob at all but neither made the sounds go away.

I have the car booked in in early-January with the shop that installed it to see if they can find anything but just thought I would send a 'shout out' on these forums to get a gauge on whether anyone else has experienced something similar.

Obviously, the VT engine mounts may be contributing but AS SSK and VT mounts are pretty common in combination. If the shop can't find anything obvious I will be going back to new OE engine mounts.

Thanks in advance for any advice and comments.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i

I can't see how this is caused by SSK. That's almost 100% your new mounts. Maybe with overtightened nuts.

I've got the stock shifter (AS SSK is still waiting in the box) but I've also got UUC red poly. The tranny whines like a jet.. but I love it
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #3
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks vt100.

I’m hoping it’s not the SSK. I haven’t read about these kinds of noises in threads about the VT mounts either, with or without SSKs.

That’s a good suggestion about the engine mount bolts being over tightened - I’ll mention that to the shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I suspect engine mounts too. The Bimmerworld Group N reps are nice improvement over stock but less NVH than solid.
      01-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #5
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks 3002 tii.

The car is in the shop today for a check-over.

I will probably go back to OE if nothing else is identified as a possible cause.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:24 AM   #6
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quick update: inspection didn’t turn anything up. Everything installed correctly, bolts torqued appropriately, no rubbing of components.

The shop then installed new OE engine mounts. This took the edge off the noises ever so slightly but they are still there. So, the VT engine mounts are not the cause.

Apparently my transmission fluid looked pretty dark and had a few metal specs in it. A transmission fluid change is next.

We’ll see if that helps at all but I’m not holding my breath.

It’s looking more likely to be something to do with the SSK. Ronald offered to send some less stiff bushes for the shifter so that will be an option after the trans fluid.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 06:23 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Did you see if any of the screws from the transmission bushings are making contact with anything?
      01-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #8
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

The inspection showed everything installed correctly and no contact with bolts, etc. At least that’s what the shop told me.

The new transmission fluid with friction modifier has certainly helped but the sounds are still there. Having said that, they are pretty quiet now and other people have trouble hearing them. Even with just the aircon fan on they pretty much can’t be heard.

I’ve sent Ronald an email to see if he has any advice / insights.

Is it possible that the transmission is worn and the tighter shifter is now transmitting the sounds from the gearbox?

The car only has 28,000km on it but the state of the transmission fluid was a bit of a shock.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:21 AM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Seems unlikel... assuming you dropped the exhaust to install the shifter, you sure somethings not touching the head shield by the trans tunnel? And does it happen to get quieter as the car is warmed up?
      01-14-2020, 05:25 AM   #10
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I need to call the shop back so I will ask about the heat shield to make sure.

If anything, the sounds get louder - slightly - once the transmission is warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #11
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Z4 M Roadster

I'm getting exactly the same noises as you after I installed RTD shifter. Waiting on an AS kit to switch it with. Was hoping it would fix the noises I was hearing but I guess not lol long as it's not damaging anything or doesn't mean anything is broken/out of place I don't mind it. Just don't know if that's the case
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:16 AM   #12
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi ryank382,

Really interesting to hear you’re experiencing the same thing with a different shifter. I wonder if it would be worthwhile working out the differences and similarities are between the two SSKs to see if that gives any clues.

Personally, I don’t think I can live with the sounds so I’m chasing a solution or return to stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 03:29 AM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Is the whine noise coming from front (engine), directly underneath (trans) or behind (diff)?
      01-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #14
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBan View Post
Hi ryank382,

Really interesting to hear you're experiencing the same thing with a different shifter. I wonder if it would be worthwhile working out the differences and similarities are between the two SSKs to see if that gives any clues.

Personally, I don't think I can live with the sounds so I'm chasing a solution or return to stock.
Honest I was just assuming a chassis mounted shifter would result in more tranny noise then oem parts but I really don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Is the whine noise coming from front (engine), directly underneath (trans) or behind (diff)?
All the noises are coming from directly underneath the shifter for me
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:45 PM   #15
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The whine for me is also coming straight from shifter but that’s from inside the car. I think the shop checked for sounds on the hoist when it was in gear but I imagine without any load it may not have been possible to replicate. Another thing for me to check with them though 👍
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:49 PM   #16
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank382 View Post
Honest I was just assuming a chassis mounted shifter would result in more tranny noise then oem parts but I really don't know
None of the reviews I‘ve read about the AS kit have mentioned any noises at all, which is why I wanted to ask on here.

Ronald from AS also didn’t think it sounded normal (at least from my description). Ronald did suggest trying a weighted shift knob in case the whine was some kind of resonance. I tried a ZHP knob but it didn’t help.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 01:18 AM   #17
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2nd gear whine and it’s louder as revs climb but what about it when you come off throttle?
      01-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #18
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
2nd gear whine and it's louder as revs climb but what about it when you come off throttle?
Just went for a drive to confirm. Still hear same whirring sound off throttle as well. however on throttle it is ever so slightly louder but you have to listen closely. Which I would assume is normal since you're sending power through the tranny. Honestly don't think it means something is wrong or there's an issue but worth sharing and discussing just in case
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 01:40 AM   #19
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just went for a drive to confirm. Still hear same whirring sound off throttle as well. however on throttle it is ever so slightly louder but you have to listen closely. Which I would assume is normal since you're sending power through the tranny. Honestly don't think it means something is wrong or there's an issue but worth sharing and discussing just in case
That rules out the diff then...

Have you tried removing the shifter trim and foam so you can get a better head and isolate the noise?
      01-23-2020, 07:52 AM   #20
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That rules out the diff then...

Have you tried removing the shifter trim and foam so you can get a better head and isolate the noise?
Not really tbh, didn't think it was necessary as I can already hear it coming from the trans right under the shifter but I'm taking the car to autocouture once I finally receive my AS ssk so I'll be sure to ask them about it just in case
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:54 AM   #21
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not really tbh, didn't think it was necessary as I can already hear it coming from the trans right under the shifter but I'm taking the car to autocouture once I finally receive my AS ssk so I'll be sure to ask them about it just in case
I have no doubt Tommy and the crew can figure it out.

Are they sending u few replacement parts or entirely a new kit? I’d consider buying your old kit off you. I’m local too so we could experiment and see if it exhibits same noise on my car lol.
      01-23-2020, 08:19 AM   #22
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have no doubt Tommy and the crew can figure it out.

Are they sending u few replacement parts or entirely a new kit? I'd consider buying your old kit off you. I'm local too so we could experiment and see if it exhibits same noise on my car lol.
yea we could potentially do that that'd be cool. I did have someone else reach out already to take it off my hands so I'd have to see if he's still interested first which he might not be if this AS kit takes any longer to come loll and it's a whole new kit with everything including selector rod. In the meantime here's a quick vid of the shifter

Appreciate 1