ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #1
drocket77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4

Custom Seats

So when I bought my E85, it had a set of cheap custom seats. I don't mind them, but there is a problem. They are very basic, and do not allow for the passengers airbag to be used. Not to much of a problem, as I rarely have passengers.But on those occasions, I would like it to work.
What I want to know is there a set of wires on the harness I can bridge, to fool it that there is someone in the seat. I tried turning it off and on in the door jam, and using my bi-directional scanner, but I think it needs input from the seat. I just don't wanna start back probing and jumping random wires in the harness. I know it will be on all the time until I shut it off in the door jam. Anyone know which wire/s have the signal?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Are you referring to the passenger occupancy sensor in the seat? There are emulators out there that plug in or you can get a sensor/steal one out of a stock seat. I picked a sensor up to put under the seat cushion for my sparco evo for my passenger seat. I can’t remember so double check but if the occupancy sensor isn’t present I think the system is always active, but double check on that.

Last edited by Piper1; 06-20-2021 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 07:23 PM   #3
drocket77
Private
United_States
Rep

I really didn't think to see if they sold an aftermarket thing like that.... I will look into it. But it is off. Lights say off, and my scanner is saying it is off. Even after I turn it on by the door jam. So I will look for either a used sensor or emulator. Thanks.

Oh, and I assume this would probably be the same for ALL BMW's for at least 03-04. If not, at least the 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:02 PM   #4
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocket77 View Post
I really didn't think to see if they sold an aftermarket thing like that.... I will look into it. But it is off. Lights say off, and my scanner is saying it is off. Even after I turn it on by the door jam. So I will look for either a used sensor or emulator. Thanks.

Oh, and I assume this would probably be the same for ALL BMW's for at least 03-04. If not, at least the 3 series.
When mine threw the code it was because I forgot to unplug the battery before unplugging the seat. It threw the occupancy sensor code but I never got the car saying it was off on the center where it shows off or on if you switch it off with key or if a passenger simply isn’t sitting in it. I tried one emulator but it didn’t work for some reason. That’s why I sourced a mat sensor so it would actually be right. I do know of posts where others had success from the emulator just not sure if it was the same brand or not.

Which ever emulator you get make sure you check the harness plug to make sure it matches. If I remember right 06+ has a different connection. The purpose of the emulator it fools the ecu to think there’s always a passenger so it’s on all the time. If also after all this what ever you get and they happen not to work might be worth checking that the switch by the door jam for on off with key is working right and turning it “on” correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
drocket77
Private
United_States
Rep

I should have time this weekend to check it. cars been sitting at work for the past few days, as I have a company truck for a bit. I will try the switch by the door jam first. If I remember where it is, I think you access it from under the glove box. Hope its not as bad as changing fuses(just a complaint from a chunky guy trying to contort my body).
Appreciate 0