ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-21-2020, 04:38 AM   #1
yyz_bobby
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 (2007)

Brake and Suspension recommendations needed

Hi all some advice and recommendations on the following required:

𝗖𝗮𝗿 𝟮𝟬𝟬𝟳 𝗘𝟴𝟱 𝟮.𝟬

Based - UK
Driving Style - non-track, daily driver, regular country road blasts on weekend

1) 𝗕𝗿𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝗗𝗶𝘀𝗰𝘀/𝗣𝗮𝗱𝘀 - my front are oem and, produce too much brake dust along with not feeling sharp.
I have looked at EBC Red Stuff pads but if anyone has a better ceramic pads recommendation let me know.

Also for brake discs front what would you recommend and size? (prefer drilled/grooved for the aesthetics)

Does anyone recommend getting brake lines replaced since going to be down there? Big difference to braided?

2) 𝗙/𝗥 𝗦𝗽𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀 - its not a must have right now but seems like a doable DIY, so if I am going to be taking wheels of I am considering this.

How much difference to the ride do springs make?

Again any recommendations and before vs after comments.

3) 𝗙/𝗥 𝗰𝗼𝗶𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀 - again its a nice to have, just want to get an idea of recommendations and price.

Comments on real experience before and after.
I have seen for sale full kits with the springs and coil-overs and some of these are really expensive so guess something mid-range would be ideal.

** I recently put on 18" alloys, is their potential to lower the car but not to the point the wheels rub the arches?

*** Any discount codes along with recommended sites would be great

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
Hawker
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Garage List
I went thru this also. Ended up putting on H & R springs and Koni Sport shocks w/ new swivels up front and reinforced rear upper supports. Changed to braided SS brake lines at the same time. I was concerned at the 1" + lower height which on this car is rather dramatic, however, I found the ride not noticeably harsher and the cornering greatly improved. So far I give the suspension mod and 'A'. The braided brake lines firmed up the pedal some and did not adversely affect anything. I give this an 'A+' as the poor condition of the old rubber lines was a real concern when I saw them. (87K miles on OE suspension)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 10:22 PM   #3
FigureItOut
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i

1) Powerstop - they make a kit with replacement calipers (powder coated), rotors (drilled and slotted) and pads (extremely low dust). I'm sure that the fancier options outperform them, but for the $$$ these are the best thing out there. I've been putting them on everything since I took a gamble and threw them on my Z. They improve aesthetics, make almost no noise, and almost no dust. They seem to perform perfectly adequate for public road spirited driving.

2) Couldn't say

3) I put on a set of BC racing coil overs with the Swift Spring upgrade. My OEM springs and struts were getting badly worn and I was already tearing the car apart so I took a gamble on the BCs. Thus far I like them. They are noisier and harsher with a bit less travel, but I suspect my car just rides like an ///M does from the factory. Some tweaking to the rebound and ride height has helped dramatically. The car is tight, communicative, and just oozes "sporty" which is all most of us want anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Having been through the coilovers game, I recommend stock for a DD. Any aftermarket suspension is an unknown. these sets are not engineered/designed with as much thought as the stock suspension.
Appreciate 0