ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Z4 USB MP3 Player installation report

For a long time I've wanted to be able to play MP3s from a USB stick in my Z4 coupe. Sure I could just buy an MP3 player and run a cable to the AUX input port since I have an '07 with the AUX port standard, but I really wanted something cleaner that would be out of the way and interface with the factory Nav screen and all the various dash and steering wheel controls. Most folks in this boat seem to opt for an Ipod and one of the Ipod integration systems like DICE, Intravee or Grom, but I'm not a member of the Legion of Steve and no I-pods, phones or pads have yet taken over my life - so I just wanted a cheap simple USB port without all the bells and whistles.

I asked about this on this and some other boards a few months ago and nobody had a good answer. Then recently Bimmernav started offering this little box that looked like it was exactly what I was looking for. Not much feedback, but for $130 I figured what the heck. I received the unit on Tuesday, installed it yesterday and played with it some today. The following is a both an installation DIY and a preliminary evaluation of the unit.

Installation:
I wanted the MP3 player to sit in the box below the Nav DVD player in the center storage area between the seats. This meant I first had to remove this box. This involves removing the center panel covering the box. This is well covered in other DIYs so I won't duplicate it here, but the result was that after about 30 minutes I had the box out and ready for me to mess with it:

The MP3 player is about the size of a deck of cards with a plug that attaches to the back. I wanted to punch a hole in the back of the box so the MP3 player could sit flush with the rear of the box and the plug could screw into the opposite side. This leaves more room for a USB stick. Anyway, here's a pictures of my hack job on the back of the box (I tried to mill a clean slot, but the rear post on the box didn't give me enough room so I had to finish up more crudely with a saw and file):

With that done I could place the MP3 player in the box (held down with a bit of velcro tape):

With that part done most of the wiring needed to be done from the back of the car. That involves pulling much of the carpeting and side panels to access the rear bulkhead. This is again discussed in other DIYs so I won't duplicate, but the end result is access to the backside of center compartment as shown:

The open hole in the bulkhead lines up almost exactly with the back of the box that I removed (which is why there's so much empty space in this picture). After fishing around a bit I found the unused connectors for the DVD changer (in my car these were taped down underneath the center box I pulled). This 3 and 6 pin connector will plug right into the cable for the MP3 player:

Also note the purple and white wire in the bundle above these connectors. This is a switched power connection, also required by the MP3 player and the one actual bit of wiring (other than simple plugging in of connectors) required of the installation. I split the purple/white wire and crimp connected it with the red switched power wire from the MP3 player as shown here:

There are probably better ways to tap into a power wire, but crimping is secure enough for this application, easy and quick. Anyway with the 3 and 6 pin connectors attached (Bimmernav has a nice video in the first link) all that was left was to plug the cable into the back of the player and shove the box back into place between the seats. Even with the box back in place there was plenty of room to stow all the excess cable in the bulkhead hole as shown:

Then a quick test with a USB stick in place:

Turn the key to ON and, hey it lights up:

So far so good. There followed another half hour of reattaching all the miscellaneous bits in the center compartment and trunk and then everything looked nice and clean.

The real question: How well does the damn thing work?

Short answer: Well enough, but a bit buggy.

Longer answer: All the controls work. The Nav screen now indicates that I have a CD changer and can access CDs 1 through 9. I initially tried to put 13 CDs worth of folders on the USB drive, but the BMW system will only recognize 1 through 9. Track selection through the steering wheel controls works fine as does CD selection (i.e. folder selection on the USB drive) via the radio channel buttons. That's the good news.

The bad news isn't awful but is kind of annoying. First, the information displayed on the Nav screen is very limited - track number and CD number only. This is particularly disappointing since if I play a single MP3 CD in the CD player in the dash I get full title/artist/album info on the screen.

The 2nd bug isn't really a bug, but an undocumented file system requirement. You can only put 9 folders on the USB drive and each folder can only contain 99 songs. Go over these limits and the system will "drop" files (i.e. various songs you've loaded simply won't show up). When I've kept to this 9 x 99 limit though, the system seems robust and all the files loaded always appear.

The other bugs are minor and seem to appear on other aftermarket USB MP3 players as well. First, the time to load all the songs from a cold start up is pretty long - about 15 seconds. Not a huge deal, but just long enough to annoy. Fortunately, once everything's loaded you don't need to wait again until the next time you start the car. Also, I've noticed a low level of engine noise on top of the audio output (whine with frequency that changes with engine rpm). This is quiet enough to be inaudible when driving, but sitting at idle it's just loud enough to be bothersome. If it bugs me enough I may try to put a simple RC low pass filter in the power line to suppress it.

Last edited by vachss; 12-16-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Thanks for the review. Just wished that it would display more info...similar to the in-dash MP3 CD would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
vachss
Captain
Rep

UPDATE: The dropped files bug is fixed. Wasn't even really a bug, just a finicky file system requirement. The USB drive can only contain a maximum of 9 folders (labeled CD01, CD02,....) each of which can contain a maximum of 99 files. Any more than this and the system barfs and starts failing to load files. Still I've now verified that with 9x99 = 891 MP3s the system reliably reads them all.

So in summary this is a VERY BARE BONES USB MP3 player, but it does work as advertised. If you want basic USB functionality then it may be a good cost-effective choice. If you want the kind of more user-friendly file handling and display that handheld MP3 players have had for the last 7-8 years then you might want to spend the extra money on a higher end system.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Thanks for sharing! I think I will look into this as I really like that I can play the music off an SD card as well. May you please confirm it plays off an SD card? I think my car is prewired for the CD Changer but will have to confirm.

Any idea on if you can still use the indash cd player? Or does it assume you have the CD changer and only plays off that?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
vachss
Captain
Rep

I haven't tried an SD card yet, but I would expect it would behave exactly the same as the USB flash drive. I'll dig out a card from one of my cameras and try it in the next day or so.

No interference at all with the in-dash CD system. When you install the Bimmernav device you just have 4 mode options (AM/FM, CD, CD changer, AUX) instead of 3. You can toggle back and forth between the in-dash CD and the virtual CDs on the flash drive.

FWIW While I'm basically happy with this system I am second guessing myself a bit and wondering if one of the GROM units might have been a better choice. Same cost for the basic unit, but with the GROM you need to spend an extra $65 for an add-on module for it to work with BMW's DSP system where the Bimmernav unit doesn't require this. Also reports on other forums have suggested that the GROM units can be a bit flaky and require firmware updates to work right.

That said, for the extra $65 and the extra potential set up hassle you do get ID3 tag support and with 900 extra songs in my system I am missing that extra info a bit.

In short, either device is a good cheap way to get a bunch of songs on flash drive to play on your Z4's sound system, and you can decide where on the spectrum of cost vs. function you want to reside.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
The GROM does look promising. I like the fact that it does display ID3 tag and doesn't appear to require the extra tap for power. I'm not sure why the add-on module is needed to work with the DSP system when the CD changer or the Bimmernav unit doesn't require this? The GROM website also only indicated that it only support up to '06 Z4. '07 and '08 uses MOST bus? I thought the Z4, up to '08s were still IBus? Thanks for the heads up.

PS...I'm starting to regret that I've found this site since I'm constantly wanting to "mod" this thing.

Last edited by XMetal; 12-16-2011 at 01:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
The GROM does look promising. I like the fact that it does display ID3 tag and doesn't appear to require the extra tap for power. I'm not sure why the add-on module is needed to work with the DSP system when the CD changer or the Bimmernav unit doesn't require this? The GROM website also only indicated that it only support up to '06 Z4. '07 and '08 uses MOST bus? I thought the Z4, up to '08s were still IBus? Thanks for the heads up.

PS...I'm starting to regret that I've found this site since I'm constantly wanting to "mod" this thing.
Hi XMetal, I'm doing some research on the same thing (GROM MST3):

http://gromaudio.com/store/most_adap...pto_fiber.html

According them, BMW Z4 2006-2010 is supported by the MST3. But I thought the same as you, that up to 2008 was still on IBus. Did you ever find out what's with that?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
half
Rep
Drives: z4

Wow Vachss, very beautiful work. Can you post the link where you bougth reader please?
Thank's
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Just bought the GROM unit. Will be installing it later this week. I'll be posting a new thread instead of hijacking OP's thread

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
SupahNin10doh
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4

I cant make a thread yet, first post so I'll post here temporarily

I bought a Grom Bluetooth Aux kit from GromAudio but can't find a single soul who can install it.
I've been to every major shop hear in San Antonio, from Custom Sounds, Electronics 2000, to Mothers Tint and even drove out all the way to Houston to Grom's official partners River Oak Audio, but even they could not install it.
I'm tired of wasting both gas and time to get this thing installed.

So I ask here on the largest Z4 forum on the net, Can anyone near the San Antonio area install this module into my car?
Its supposed to connect to the CD changer which is supposedly behind my seats.
My car is a 2003 Z4 3.0i with no navi.

This is the model I have
BMW Mini 98-06 AUX-IN Android iPod Bluetooth Adapter - TRUNK (BMWTA3) - 1 pcs x 78.99
Add Grom Bluetooth Dongle (USBBTD) - 1 pcs x 49.99
BMW DSP CONVERSION KIT (C-DSP) - 1 pcs x 64.99
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 01:28 AM   #11
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupahNin10doh View Post
I cant make a thread yet, first post so I'll post here temporarily

I bought a Grom Bluetooth Aux kit from GromAudio but can't find a single soul who can install it.
I've been to every major shop hear in San Antonio, from Custom Sounds, Electronics 2000, to Mothers Tint and even drove out all the way to Houston to Grom's official partners River Oak Audio, but even they could not install it.
I'm tired of wasting both gas and time to get this thing installed.

So I ask here on the largest Z4 forum on the net, Can anyone near the San Antonio area install this module into my car?
Its supposed to connect to the CD changer which is supposedly behind my seats.
My car is a 2003 Z4 3.0i with no navi.

This is the model I have
BMW Mini 98-06 AUX-IN Android iPod Bluetooth Adapter - TRUNK (BMWTA3) - 1 pcs x 78.99
Add Grom Bluetooth Dongle (USBBTD) - 1 pcs x 49.99
BMW DSP CONVERSION KIT (C-DSP) - 1 pcs x 64.99
For those who are just now reading the thread, I did install the GROM MST3 (and removed it for dealer software flash, then reinstalled it). I haven't posted any reviews yet because it has been 6 months and half a dozen firmwares later, some major features still don't work properly (i.e. file/directory browsing, song resume on startup). I'm still working with the manufacturer on a fix.

Anyways, I digress. I would offer to help but your system is for ibus I think, which is completely different from the fiber optic MOST bus that newer Z4s have (which the MST3 is designed for). I would have no idea where to even start.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
qxzj
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

My MP3 installation

I'm having a helluva time (not in the good way) of getting my Bimmernav USB/Aux In MPS player installed. I've looked on all the threads I can see on this site, and I can't find my issue. I have a 2005 Z4 with CD changer but no Nav.

In short, I can find the 3-pin plug, but not the required 6-pin plug. I've pulled every cord I could see out of the rear cavity, accidentally disconnecting the central console light in the process (and who knows what else -- since there are three connectors running off that harness).

The 3-pin connector was plugged into the back of the CD changer. I pulled out another plug that looks like it has room for 20 pins and says AMP on the back. I just don't see any other plugs in the cavity. Is there somewhere else I should look? I would think the 6-pin would come off the same basic harness as the 3-pin, but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it.

Any ideas, folks?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

No 6 pin connector... Likely a DSP radio/amp system. Does your amp have a coaxial connector/3 pin wire connector plugged into amp underneath the wiring harness connection to amp. If it does the system needs a DSP adapter. Your units webpage talks about needing a DSP adapter for some systems...

Your systems 6 pin connector will plug into the DSP adapters 6 pin connector and the coaxial cable from the adapter is plugged into the amp...
      07-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #14
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

The USB player will take the place of the CD Changer, so it needs to be connected in the same place the changer was.

Also if you want OEM AUX, it's super easy add it, just plug the AUX lead into he back of the radio. There's the official ugly ash tray replacement, or you can get the plain cable and route it to the panel under the AC controls like it is on 07 and 08 Z4s
      07-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
qxzj
Rep

It looks like the 3-pin and 6-pin were both supposed to be connected to the rear of the CD changer. There's a spot for both, and it's very evident. I found only the actual 3-pin connector. It does look like there are other coaxial cables running around the back, as well.

I'm not sure I have an amp. The ones I've seen in videos are on the right side of the cavity. I have nothing there.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Try looking in the battery well... underneath the trunk mat. Not sure where the battery is located on yours but some like my Z4 are located there as is my amp..
      07-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
qxzj
Rep

Ha, I kept staring at that and thinking it must have to do with the battery/electrical. Yeah, that does look like an amp.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
qxzj
Rep

No, there's only some huge connection to the amp near the battery. I'm out of guesses now.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #19
qxzj
Rep

Is there anyone in the DC area who could point me in the right direction? IS there a good audio place in the area?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #20
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Keep looking...those 2 connectors are in that cubby hole. It took me a while to look for them as well...but I finally found them taped to the car's body inside that cubby hole as shown this picture.

FYI...My car has DSP, but it didn't need the DSP adapter when I installed the GROM
Attached Images

Appreciate 0