ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-25-2022, 11:38 PM   #1
TyzToyz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si

Engine PCV blow-by Heater Recall

Has anyone else received a letter from BMW about the most recent recall (2022-95)?
If so, did you have the work performed?
Just wondering how involved it is and whether I should allow a dealership to perform the work?
Coincidence or not, problems seem to arise with anything taken to a dealership.
Does anyone know how this particular system works? Does it only work in cold temperatures or does it function all the time the the PCV system works?
Can I just unplug it (the electrical connection, not the unit itself)? This car is m never driven much or at all in temperatures below 10 degrees celsius.

Tye
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 05:47 AM   #2
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
I received the same notice for our 2011 wagon, NHTSA language states "The remedy is expected to become available July 31, 2022. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417"

A quick search here shows the same, looks like nobody has received an appointment for work. Cannot say the same for my car and operating temperatures, reaches -30C (-25F) here in winters - still my daily!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 10:08 AM   #3
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyzToyz View Post
Has anyone else received a letter from BMW about the most recent recall (2022-95)?
Just wondering how involved it is and whether I should allow a dealership to perform the work?
Does anyone know how this particular system works? Does it only work in cold temperatures or does it function all the time the the PCV system works?
Can I just unplug it (the electrical connection, not the unit itself)? This car is m never driven much or at all in temperatures below 10 degrees celsius.

Tye
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...1436607&page=3
Phatty there says he unplugged it with no issues
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 12:29 PM   #4
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Just had mine done at the local dealer on my e92. The worksheet says all they did was splice into a wire and insert the kit, whatever that means. Was kind of hoping they would fix something for free while they were in there, heard a few people on here had that happen before. I'll keep playing the lottery. They did tell me I have an oil leak though, who could believe that on a 13 year old BMW! In any case I think it's a good idea to get it done. Regardless of how rare it is, fires aren't cool.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 01:08 PM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I got that letter and I have an appointment to get the work done in early August. As not getting it done exposes your car to a continued risk of an engine fire and becoming a total loss, I would absolutely recommend that you get this done. In fact if you refuse to have this recall work done and your car subsequently catches fire and is a loss, could your insurance company refuse to pay out? I wouldn’t want to put myself in that nasty situation.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 03:58 PM   #6
Emmrbee
Retired
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Quote:

Tye
Does this apply to E85 or E86 series?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 05:56 PM   #7
TyzToyz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si

Both E85 & E86.

If I unplug the sensor, it does not heat, therefore cannot catch fire.
If they were going to replace the complete valve cover, then it may be more tempting.
I just don't like other people turning wrenches on my stuff unless it is completely beyond my scope.

Tye
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 05:57 PM   #8
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmrbee View Post
Does this apply to E85 or E86 series?
Either that have the N52 motor. The heater involved in the pcv system was BMWs cure to the moisture build up that would occur in the pcv of the M54. So pre facelift are not part of this. In the end counter productive fix that now have even worse side affects. So no issue for my 03 e85 but issue for my 07e86 and ‘11 128.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 02:28 PM   #9
jmilt13
Private
Rep
Drives: 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Both E85 & E86.

If I unplug the sensor, it does not heat, therefore cannot catch fire.
If they were going to replace the complete valve cover, then it may be more tempting.
I just don't like other people turning wrenches on my stuff unless it is completely beyond my scope.

Tye
Could you help with any pics on how to get to the PCV to unplug it?
Appreciate 0