ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-15-2022, 03:34 PM   #1
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Non working inner headlights

Apparently because I have bi-xenons the inner 2 headlights don't work,
has anyone found a way to add a working bulb behind those lens and add that extra light to the high beam circuit?
Thanks
      08-15-2022, 05:00 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I did look into it, there is a reflector behind the dummy projector. The dummy projector consists of a solid black fake projector lens with a translucent blue lens for the angel eye to shine through, I assume to make it look less yellow. The problem is, there's a one piece chrome surround in front of for both the dummy and real projector, but the hole for the dummy side is smaller than the reflector behind it, so I imagine the light pattern would be pretty screwed up. With the angel eye bulb holder removed, a H7 bulb drops right in, but there's no retainer, so something would need to be fabricated to hold the bulb in place.

I have extensive experience with the facelift Bi-Xenon headlight assemblies for the E85/E86 since I was retrofitting dual angel eyes using bright LED rings as a service. I used a damaged headlight from a wrecked car to prototype the dual angel eye retrofit before I went into production. Bottom line, for me, adding a high beam in place of the dummy projector would be more trouble than it's worth, though if you want to tackle it, I'd be very interested in how you accomplish it.

Name:  AE close.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  134.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 08:00 PM   #3
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Bottom line, for me, adding a high beam in place of the dummy projector would be more trouble than it's worth, though if you want to tackle it, I'd be very interested in how you accomplish it.
Well I know those dummy projectors on other Z4's use a halogen bulb with an appropriate reflector so I guess I could cannibalize a standard headlight for that.
I could also use couple of the new LED headlight bulbs and try something, yes, a lot of work and as you say, probably not worth the effort.
I just wondered if there was a popular off the shelf remedy.

So you market an angel eye kit?
      08-15-2022, 09:15 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
Well I know those dummy projectors on other Z4's use a halogen bulb with an appropriate reflector so I guess I could cannibalize a standard headlight for that.
I could also use couple of the new LED headlight bulbs and try something, yes, a lot of work and as you say, probably not worth the effort.
I just wondered if there was a popular off the shelf remedy.
The Z4 headlights with a high beam in place of the dummy you're speaking of have completely different internals so I can't see how that would work and even if you could hack something together, they may not come close to the light output of the stock Bi-Xenons high beams.

Also, the internals of the headlights auto-level with a motor so it's not so simple to modify them.

If you really want to replace the dummy projector with a real light, a better option would be to put a dedicated LED high beam projector in there, though mounting it would take some modifications.

If you simply want better lighting than the stock Bi-Xenons, replace the current projector with something like a Morimoto EVOX-R 2.0 Bi-Xenon projectors along with better bulbs which will have much better light output than the stock projectors, plus be 100 times easier since they'll bolt right in place of the stock projectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
So you market an angel eye kit?
No, I don't market a kit.
Appreciate 2
3002 tii2281.50
      08-15-2022, 09:17 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
That last paragraph by pungo is exactly what I did and it was easily one of the best bang for buck mods. Makes the light output more in line with modern led cars.
pungo878.50