ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-11-2022, 09:58 AM   #1
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Bluetooth options for audio with DSP

Hello everyone !
My name is Ralph. I've joined the forum a while ago. Was a member of E60.net back in the day. So a while back after few years without BMW in my garage I've purchased an F90 M5. I found many informative things here about it. 3 months forward I found a pretty nice 2006 Z4 3.0SI with 6 speed and thought I've never had a roadster I'll try it I am pretty impressed in how fun little thing this is I don't plan on doing any mods with the car, but what bothers me is the stereo without capability of Bluetooth audio streaming. I have done some research and I am bit confused. I know about bluebus and from units. Honestly I don't want to spend that on just listening to music. Now being 2006 my car doesn't have AUX output. It doesn't seem to have iPod connection either. Is there currently any non battery powered option that would work ? I am fine with removing factory radio and to plug something in the back. I don't really care about being able to control my phone with steering wheel controls. If there is something like that please let me guys know. Also how would sound quality be compared to AUX port in case I would just go that route ? I think that's the least expensive option to just retrofit auxiliary input. I remember in E46 there would be some resistor in factory aux that would downgrade music quality so I've installed some aftermarket input instead of going factory one.
Let me guys know and thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 10:51 AM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

You can't replace a DSP radio with an non OEM head unit/radio ….

Bluebus is probably the best option… I have DSP/10 speaker Carver unit with Bluebus installed.

There is a Bluetooth adapter/harness that plugs into the back of the radio which your original harness then plugs into…

As per this…. https://www.google.ca/search?q=bluet...;client=safari

Gives you what you want and hands free as well. FWIW the Bluetooth plugs into the aux circuit that your radio actually has even if there is no aux plug in on your dash. The harness adapter is wired for this…

I added the aux circuit when I installed a Sirius radio radio to my '04 eight years ago…. It didn't have it installed prior to this.
      08-11-2022, 11:14 AM   #3
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I referred to factory aux input cable that I don't have and I do not want to replace factory stereo with aftermarket one. I simply wanted Bluetooth for streaming music. Since I don't have auxiliary input installed cause I have 06 model but I have Mode button would one of those Bluetooth units work that stays I in the back of the radio with custom harness ? I thought they wouldn't work with radio that has DSP ? Just need to clarify that. Like I said I don't care about controlling phone with steering wheel buttons.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 03:51 PM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Check the glovebox to be sure there is no auxiliary input hiding in there. If not I believe you can retrofit one. Then you can use something like a Tunai Firefly to link your BT source.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...mpid=352576039

There are a ton of threads here discussing aux in retrofits. It looks like there are lots of youtube videos too. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 06:25 PM   #5
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

As I said… have the Carver 10 channel DSP radio system… added the aux wiring to the radio 8 years ago. The Bluetooth harness in the Google results simply plugs into the radio and the wiring harness stacks/plugs into it…. Or the reverse. It's obvious as to what goes where. Much better than the pin connector I got which had to be oriented correctly when plugged into the back of the wiring harness. It was an eBay special ….

The biggest pain is removing the air vents… which isn't that difficult… just a pain in the butt.

All in all a 30 min job first time around.
      08-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #6
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I've ordered harness with Bluetooth dongle from eBay that plugs in into the back of the radio for Bluetooth streaming. I've just installed it today. Removal of vent above the radio is a little tricky but not super hard. The harness plugs right in and works pretty well for what it supposed to do. All in all 15 min job. Thanks for help !
Appreciate 1
wdb4721.50