ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-27-2022, 10:58 AM   #1
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

'Clank'....suspension?

So my Moupe has developed a stacatto, 'clank' noise that seems to happen when slowing/coming to a stop. It tends to happen only one time when slowing down and only occurs somewhere below 20mph (5-15mph). It's louder if it occurs at high end of the range and is definitely audibpe then. It sometimes happens on consecutive slow downs and tends to happen only after I've driven for a little.

I noticed a light clanking noise when going over really bumpy roads (think salt environment + buckled/cracked asphalt and concrete) but thought it related to noise from loose strut braces, reinforcement plate bolts (torqued but not stretched), or vibra-technics mounts.

At this point, I'm guessing something suspension related is loose. Any suggestions on where to start looking? 45kmi on the clock with all original suspension bits.
      07-27-2022, 01:05 PM   #2
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Have you upgraded any brake components? My car has bronze caliper bushings, which replace rubber parts and will make little click noises sometimes over bumps or when applying the brakes. I can only hear it at slow speeds.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1154.00
      07-27-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I replaced pads and rotors a few years ago but all the caliper bits are original OE.

I did check the top nuts for the motor mounts, reinforcement plate bolts, and strut braces. Everything is snug. Brakes and trans mount are next on my list (since I touched them a few years back. I need to bleed brakes anyways.
      07-27-2022, 03:17 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Possible bad end link or anti sway bar bushings?
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 2
bosstones1154.00
kaybat125.50
      07-27-2022, 03:41 PM   #5
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Heat shielding come loose?
Also, there are 2 exhaust rubber supports, #5 they hold the exhaust piping off the reinforcing plate, mine were completely broken and allowed the system to bounce.
Attached Images

07-27-2022, 08:31 PM   #6
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
Possible bad end link or anti sway bar bushings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
Heat shielding come loose?
Also, there are 2 exhaust rubber supports, #5 they hold the exhaust piping off the reinforcing plate, mine were completely broken and allowed the system to bounce.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I definitely suspect something shifts under changing load so I'm hoping it's just a bushing. That could also explain the metallic clank on bumps, too. From inside, it seems like the noise is coming from the front passenger side.
      07-27-2022, 08:36 PM   #7
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Make sure your X cross member under your car is tight and hasn't lost any bolts. Mine had and sounded like you described, took me forever to figure it out. It's the big silver thing right behind the engine, just looks like a shield but it's not. I'm betting that's it.
Appreciate 2
kaybat125.50
bosstones1154.00
      07-29-2022, 09:18 AM   #8
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Make sure your X cross member under your car is tight and hasn't lost any bolts. Mine had and sounded like you described, took me forever to figure it out. It's the big silver thing right behind the engine, just looks like a shield but it's not. I'm betting that's it.
+1 Easy to check if it's not tight enough and a likely culprit.

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415290

While we're here...I've got a squeak coming from my drivers rear suspensions. Happens on a sharp impact, such as when hitting a bump or a drainage grate in the left lane of a parkway. Has anyone diagnosed something similar? I changed my rear shocks last year but the mouse....remains.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1154.00
      07-29-2022, 07:30 PM   #9
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

It's likely the emergency brake mechanism in the rear wheel drum. I had the squeak issue when I sat in the car. Determined that if the e brake was pulled and I sat in seat/pushed down on rear arch, it would squeak. If e brake was not on… and sat in the car/pushed down on the rear arch…no squeak.

Still haven't fixed it as I'd have to do a brake job and car doesn't need it.

As I drive with the "music on" if it's squeaking when I hit a bump I can't hear it.
      08-01-2022, 04:29 PM   #10
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Do you mean the reinforcement plate underneath? Or the cross braces in the engine bay?
Attached Images

08-03-2022, 07:11 PM   #11
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Do you mean the reinforcement plate underneath? Or the cross braces in the engine bay?
Sorry haven't been on. The reinforcement plate underneath is the one. Some bolts are at an angle so make sure to get them all to torque, I'm still betting this is the issue.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1154.00
      08-04-2022, 02:30 PM   #12
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
It's likely the emergency brake mechanism in the rear wheel drum. I had the squeak issue when I sat in the car. Determined that if the e brake was pulled and I sat in seat/pushed down on rear arch, it would squeak. If e brake was not on… and sat in the car/pushed down on the rear arch…no squeak.

Still haven't fixed it as I'd have to do a brake job and car doesn't need it.

As I drive with the "music on" if it's squeaking when I hit a bump I can't hear it.
Really??? That's an interesting thought. But mine is happening when the ebrake is off, car is in motion and hits a bump. I'll check for the ebrake interaction though. One thing at that corner to cross off the list easily. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 06:17 PM   #13
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

The e brake squeal is a real thing as another forum member on a different forum had the issue and confirmed it with my info. What exactly is squealing I can't tell you as I'm not doing a brake job until it's needed.

Check your rear driver shock and RTAB and any other suspension bushings etc in that area. Could be the cause.
      08-04-2022, 06:35 PM   #14
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sorry haven't been on. The reinforcement plate underneath is the one. Some bolts are at an angle so make sure to get them all to torque, I'm still betting this is the issue.
No worries! I remember checking the plate when I first got my quick jack last fall. Granted, I didn't check torque but I remember checking to see if any bolt was missing and seeing if I could move the plate manually. I'll double check it, though, since the car will be up anyways.