ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #1
mmben
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Z4 Cranks for long after hours of not usage - Replaced starter already

Hi everyone! I am new in this world!

I have a BMW 2005 automatic, 2.5i. It has 40,000 miles and I bought it on November. The car was very well maintained and it looks very well. But in the last month I have had some issues.

The car began to have some issues and began cranking but it would eventually start after couple of seconds.
Last week it completely died and it wasn't the battery. I took it to the mechanic and they changed the starter. IT starts now BUT
every time I try to start it for the first time after couple of hours, it cranks for some seconds and it struggles to finally start.
after it is on and running, if I restart it, it starts as normal and as if NOTHING WAS WRONG.
After some hours, or in the morning, the car struggles to start again.

Do you have any idea of what it can be the issue going on here? Please I need any help you can provide me and if you have any guess on how urgent this matter needs to be taken care of?

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmben View Post
Hi everyone! I am new in this world!

I have a BMW 2005 automatic, 2.5i. It has 40,000 miles and I bought it on November. The car was very well maintained and it looks very well. But in the last month I have had some issues.

The car began to have some issues and began cranking but it would eventually start after couple of seconds.
Last week it completely died and it wasn't the battery. I took it to the mechanic and they changed the starter. IT starts now BUT
every time I try to start it for the first time after couple of hours, it cranks for some seconds and it struggles to finally start.
after it is on and running, if I restart it, it starts as normal and as if NOTHING WAS WRONG.
After some hours, or in the morning, the car struggles to start again.

Do you have any idea of what it can be the issue going on here? Please I need any help you can provide me and if you have any guess on how urgent this matter needs to be taken care of?

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Do you have a check engine light?
If yes, pull codes with a BMW specific code reader.

If no, turn the key to start for a few seconds before trying to start the engine.

Does the engine start normally when it would struggle to start after doing this.

If yes then enjoy.
If no then you have a fuel delivery problem IMO.

Hope others chime in.
Good luck.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Could be that the fuel pressure is bleeding off over time. Try turning the key fully on, and then waiting 10 seconds or so before trying to start the car. If the fuel pressure is bleeding off that will give the pump a chance to bring it back up. If that does work I'd have the fuel system checked out, particularly the injectors. You don't want them leaking gas into the combustion chamber when the car isn't running.

EDIT: I see @Steeler beat me to it!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 06:58 AM   #4
Colemme
Heliophile
United_States
Rep
Drives: MRoadster

I agree. Check the Mass Airflow and Engine Coolant Temp Sensors too...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 12:46 PM   #5
mmben
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
Do you have a check engine light?
If yes, pull codes with a BMW specific code reader.

If no, turn the key to start for a few seconds before trying to start the engine.

Does the engine start normally when it would struggle to start after doing this.

If yes then enjoy.
If no then you have a fuel delivery problem IMO.

Hope others chime in.
Good luck.

I do have a check engine light. I will definitely run the diagnoses.

Thank you so much for the time!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 01:06 PM   #6
mmben
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemme View Post
I agree. Check the Mass Airflow and Engine Coolant Temp Sensors too...
I checked this online and it is pretty crazy how such a small piece can create so much damage.

I will get it checked very soon.

thank you.
Appreciate 0