ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #1
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Stoptech (the company) having problems...

Was trying to get some replacement parts and was emailed this (a bit of a warning for those who use Stoptech like I do):

Quote:
StopTech (and parent company Centric Parts) were acquired by First Brands Group and then "broken" following a series of changes. They moved their shipping warehouse 475 miles north to Patterson, California to consolidate with other First Brands companies. They let go all the City of Industry warehouse employees, some with decades of brake experience. They switched to an Oracle-based backend software system, but botched the transition. And they forced StopTech and Centric to switch suppliers to First Brands-owned facilities that didn't even have the tooling or experience to make the needed parts.

Bottom line, StopTech has been shipping nearly nothing since May and the new owners have been gradually discontinuing product lines from StopTech and Centric, such as OEM replacement floating rotor kits, OEM caliper pistons, chassis components (bushings, end lines, tie rods, bearings, etc.). Because of the inability to manufacture new parts, the fill rate for orders has dropped to near zero, For example, almost ALL caliper rebuild components are backordered. Every size of AeroRotor has been backordered for months and they are not expected until the end of November, although that will probably slip.

... At best, if parts are already sitting on the shelf in Compton, it will still take months to get them. But more likely, the parts would have to be manufactured and in that case, you may never see them....
      10-04-2022, 06:56 AM   #2
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Horrid news, I always liked Centric parts and loved stoptech sport pads for street use.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 07:37 PM   #3
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Not good to hear. I've been very happy with my Trophy kit for the last 4.5 years. No issues. I recently replaced my front rings. Had a little trouble finding them. Bimmerworld had them and said that something was going on with Stoptech. Now we know. Hopefully this will get sorted.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 07:47 PM   #4
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
This puts a damper on things, it's the only set up I run…even on my trucks
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 01:37 PM   #5
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Stoptech update

This is posted on the Zeckhausen home page:

StopTech Parts
Consumables and Replacement Parts for StopTech Brakes

For over two decades, Zeckhausen Racing has carried a comprehensive selection of consumables and replacement parts for StopTech big brake kits. We currently have street and racing brake pads, rotors and rotor mounting hardware, and caliper rebuild parts.

We used to carry replacement calipers, caliper adapter brackets, rotor mounting hats, stainless lines and more. However, on December 21, 2023 StopTech announced the closure of their USA manufacturing facilities, effective immediately. StopTech plans to build a new factory in Juarez, Mexico but warns that new orders may not begin shipping until 3rd quarter 2024 or beyond. At this time, no orders are being accepted for StopTech components labeled as unavailable or backordered. Some components are still in inventory and are labeled with available quantities. Please do not order more than the available quantities or your order will be canceled.

In order to continue to support our customers with StopTech big brakes, we have recently added Girodisc replacement rotors and hardware. And we continue to offer brake pads that fit every StopTech caliper type from companies such as Hawk, Ferodo, Performance Friction, Pagid, Porterfield, Centric and more. As our StopTech-branded rebuild parts inventory dwindles, we are exploring other sources and will add them to the site as they become available.

If anyone has experience with Girodisc rotors, chime in…
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 02:18 PM   #6
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

I am one of those who switched to Girodisc, ran a few events last year on them, just as good as Stoptech rotors (I just replaced the rings, not my existing hats).