ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #23
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Gotta get some coding done this spring...when the PO brought my car into Canada from the USA ,BMW here had to recode it for import regs. Every single bulb lights up when i start mine .
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #24
mitchsf
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster

At this point I don't want to cut the lights open, maybe next winter (our "work on the car" seasons are reversed, in Florida). I will try a set of bulbs that StickMon recommended. Thanks for the comments.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 04:57 PM   #25
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M Roadster View Post
I just coded mine with the Carly app and WiFi module (have to use their module). Coded front and rear DRLs and 3 blink turn signals, but there are more options you can do.
Carly is subscription base now. I don't think it is worth the price. I purchased before subscription and was grand father so I don't have to pay annually.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 12:50 AM   #26
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
Carly is subscription base now. I don't think it is worth the price. I purchased before subscription and was grand father so I don't have to pay annually.
Can it be used with multiple cars? If so would you be interested in renting it to me?

I have a similar product called OBDEleven for VW's. MUCH better pricing scheme - you buy the dongle for ~$60, and for that you can do your own long coding and tons of diagnostic stuff. Optionally, you can purchase credits to code a buttload of individual settings with one-touch "apps", for a very reasonable price. They never expire. I spent about $30 additional for more credits than I'll ever be able to use. So, for about $90 total, I can tinker forever. The Carly yearly subscription scheme doesn't work for me AT ALL. Very poor value for the typical consumer.
      01-31-2019, 01:16 AM   #27
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
Can it be used with multiple cars? If so would you be interested in renting it to me?

I have a similar product called OBDEleven for VW's. MUCH better pricing scheme - you buy the dongle for ~$60, and for that you can do your own long coding and tons of diagnostic stuff. Optionally, you can purchase credits to code a buttload of individual settings with one-touch "apps", for a very reasonable price. They never expire. I spent about $30 additional for more credits than I'll ever be able to use. So, for about $90 total, I can tinker forever. The Carly yearly subscription scheme doesn't work for me AT ALL. Very poor value for the typical consumer.
This will not work because Carly app is associated with my Apple ID. I have a dell laptop with DIS, INPA , NCS Expert, etc if you want to borrow. I haven.t use it for some time but I was able to connect before putting it away.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 12:05 PM   #28
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
Gotta get some coding done this spring...when the PO brought my car into Canada from the USA ,BMW here had to recode it for import regs. Every single bulb lights up when i start mine .
As an alternative, you could drive across the border to a US dealer and recode the car there so that you get US-spec DRLs (halos only) when the car is started. And drive back home later in the evening when you will have your full headlights / taillights on.

My 3.0si is coded that way and I like it - particularly because when its foggy (and we get that here in Atlantic Canada A LOT), I can turn the fog lights on while having the headlights off, and thereby avoiding all the back glare one gets when driving in very foggy conditions with the main lights on. Way safer methinks.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 01-31-2019 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #29
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

God knows what US stealer would charge. No fogs on the Ms btw.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #30
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
God knows what US stealer would charge. No fogs on the Ms btw.
Back when I got my car I had it shipped up the east coast from Florida and picked up in Maine by a Canadian transporter to bring here. Before I realized that I didn’t need any coding done, I spoke to a dealer in Maine who said they could code any feature on the car to my spec for $80.00. So a phone call couldn’t hurt.

And yes I know that the M has no fogs. I guess I was trying to say that while having full headlights on as daytime running lights is great for safety most of the time, they defeat the purpose of fog lights if you can’t turn the mains off in the fog.

Cheers!!
Appreciate 0