BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

Closed Thread

11-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #309
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
# not sure why in F30 section..
Check that. It's in the Universal Forums -> General BMW Forum.

If you don't like the F30 at the top of the page, feel free to change the "F30" in the URL to "F48". That'll get you pictures of its closest relatives in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E36 View Post
So it's an X2 Sedan...
No more so than a 3 Series is an X3 sedan, which is to say not really at all. Though, yes, the two do share a platform along with every other RWD BMW now, save for the 2 Series Coupe, 4 Series, and X6, since those haven't switched to the G generation yet.

It's really an F40 (yet to be released, next generation 1 Series hatchback) sedan. That and this will share a platform with the X1, X2, and other UKL vehicles not sold in the US. Though this is technically the next generation version of the platform called FAAR now, I believe.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #310
Inablur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silber Bimmer

Quote:
Because it's FWD with a 4 banger and not a RWD with a 6 banger
So a 235i will become a 4 banger, and the 2er will no longer be RWD but be FWD like the next 1er... Im officially confused
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #311
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It's really an F40 (yet to be released, next generation 1 Series hatchback) sedan. That and this will share a platform with the X1, X2, and other UKL vehicles not sold in the US. Though this is technically the next generation version of the platform called FAAR now, I believe.
Is there currently a place on bimmerpost where we can look for the latest info on the F40 (can't help but think of an Italian car when I see that...)? Been looking but I don't see it...

While I consider a fwd-based bimmer to be a bit of rolling blasphemy, it DOES sound an awful lot like a certain sporty v-dub compact I've owned for eight years (four doors, fwd, hatchback, and a snappy little turbo engine). I could see a future 135i hatch (fwd or awd) replacing my zippy v-dub in two years, provided BMW makes it look good - and offers a stick shift.
      11-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #312
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inablur View Post
So a 235i will become a 4 banger, and the 2er will no longer be RWD but be FWD like the next 1er... Im officially confused
There is knowledge in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Is there currently a place on bimmerpost where we can look for the latest info on the F40 (can't help but think of an Italian car when I see that...)? Been looking but I don't see it...
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=901686

April 2018
  • F40 M135i xDrive: I don't usually report on non-US models, but I feel I should make an exception here since the US M235i GC will be virtually the same car in a different body. So, here's what to expect: same engine as X2 M35i (300hp version of transverse B48), sport automatic only, xDrive only, M Sport configuration includes as standard: bodywork, suspension (non-adaptive), brakes, steering rack, 18" wheels. Regular sport seats will be standard, with upgraded M Sport seats optional. As far as other options, pretty much anything you can add to a G20 will be available on F40 too (well, not rear wheel drive, of course). Still on track for 07/19 SOP.

Of course, there will be models below M135i too, just as there are models below the M140i today. However, keep in mind, as has been the case for the past and current generations, the next 1 Series hatchback will not come to the US. We only get the 2 Series GC that is the topic of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #313
emulajavi
First Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW F56

It seems that the awful hood line in the middle of nowhere will be back on these FWD 2-Series.

I they could make the 2nd gen (current) X1 which is also FWD without the hood line, I don’t know why the hood line came back with the X2, and now the new FWD 2 Series.

If I were a boss at BMW and the engineering team came to me with a car that has a hood line in the middle of nowhere I’d send them back to the drawing board.

It’s poor design and lazy engineering!
Appreciate 2
DeeKay553.00
      11-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #314
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Bro, srsly, I'd give you a lift but you have legs. Next time man.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #315
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
So it's an X2 Sedan...
based on that wheel well gap i agree. im disappointed by it's ride height. they basically just threw a sedan body on the x1/x2 and called it a day. I'll wait for the m2gc with mxdrive that will eventually show up.
      11-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #316
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
based on that wheel well gap i agree. im disappointed by it's ride height. they basically just threw a sedan body on the x1/x2 and called it a day.
It's a test mule, not a production car. Common sense says it will not have an SUV ride height. Go look at pictures of the 1 Series sedan - it will sit just like that. If that's still too high for your tastes, well then so is every other series BMW sedan, and you were going to need to get lowering springs anyway.

Quote:
I'll wait for the m2gc with mxdrive that will eventually show up.
It isn't happening any time soon - almost surely not at all for the F44 generation. But Mercedes and Audi can help you out if you want a small 400hp sedan with AWD and a transverse engine.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #317
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

This just in - the next M2 will be FWD to provide increased oversteer and torque steer, something current owners said they prefer in their sports coupe. We interviewed 72 year old John Johnson and current BMW X2 owner and he confirmed, "When I drive, I don't like turning the wheel, but if I have to, I want it to be real easy like, and I don't want to worry about the back sliding should I accidentally push the gas pedal too hard. I also like the tug in the wheel I feel on my wife's Accord when I hit the gas, how hard can that be to duplicate, BMW?"

The only transmission option will be a 10 speed automatic developed in conjunction with FCA Group and pulled from the now defunct Chrysler 200. When asked about this decision, BMW execs said, "the consumer want more numbers and letters, so a 10 speed transmission is always better than 8, and an M245.75i Sport Xdrive will be perceived as more valuable and exclusive than a simple 230i."

This story is developing...stay tuned for more.
Appreciate 9
drexplode1762.00
Tuscan221.50
tetsuo1111224.00
stein_325i25051.00
ZMM_OMG143.00
Mavus2014.50
      11-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #318
IanMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Make it stop already.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #319
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Any renders released?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #320
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
It's a test mule, not a production car. Common sense says it will not have an SUV ride height. Go look at pictures of the 1 Series sedan - it will sit just like that. If that's still too high for your tastes, well then so is every other series BMW sedan, and you were going to need to get lowering springs anyway.
So long as it has a liftback and mounting points for a roof rack, that's fine by me. I keep going back to "just give me the E46 size with today's tech" and this is the ticket since we wont get the 1er.

Quote:
It isn't happening any time soon - almost surely not at all for the F44 generation. But Mercedes and Audi can help you out if you want a small 400hp sedan with AWD and a transverse engine.
Mostly a joke at BMW creating a product for everyone
      11-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #321
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
This just in - the next M2 will be FWD to provide increased oversteer and torque steer, something current owners said they prefer in their sports coupe.

Four or five years ago, when knowledge of UKL BMWs (BMWs that will share the MINI platform, and thus be FWD) came about, it looked as if that is exactly what would happen. SCOTT has suggested that there was a degree of conflict and debate within BMW about this possibility.

In the end, a compromise was made. All sub-3-Series BMWs would move to UKL except the coupe and convertible which would stay on CLAR. This would allow both the 2 Series Coupe and the M2 to remain RWD. That's a big win for enthusiasts who want a high performance two-door passenger car.

So far however, for everyone else, it comes at price. All other form factors not only move to the FWD/AWD architecture, but the line up will top out with 300hp M Performance models. Contrast this to Audi and Mercedes approach where there is no small RWD coupe/convertible below the C Class and A4, but they invested in a full AMG and Quattro Sport RS chassis and powertrain for their *transverse* platform. They are therefore able to share this hardware across their small sedans, hatchbacks and SUVs, and offer high performance products with the level of performance that enthusiasts expect in form factors that can satisfy most everyone.

BMW deserves props for keeping the M2 RWD for the foreseeable future (into late next decade, at least, maybe longer), but they should not have done it at the cost of giving up an M program for the rest of their small vehicle lineup.
Appreciate 3
Dackelone10511.00
bobert858.50
Viffermike1753.00
      11-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #322
combot
Rep
Drives: F30 330i LCI

so ugly,2 seris shouldnt get a gc
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #323
Blader
Lotus Exige ClubRacer
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY15 Lotus Exige CR

Garage List
2010 E88 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Contrast this to Audi and Mercedes approach where there is no small RWD coupe/convertible below the C Class and A4, but they invested in a full AMG and Quattro Sport RS chassis and powertrain for their *transverse* platform. They are therefore able to share this hardware across their small sedans, hatchbacks and SUVs, and offer high performance products with the level of performance that enthusiasts expect in form factors that can satisfy most everyone.

BMW deserves props for keeping the M2 RWD for the foreseeable future (into late next decade, at least, maybe longer), but they should not have done it at the cost of giving up an M program for the rest of their small vehicle lineup.
Actually everything below the Mercedes C Class and the Audi A4 already has a transverse platform with a FWD/AWD setup and uses basically the same AWD setup as their lesser powered versions in each range so BMW is doing exactly the same thing.

Last edited by Blader; 11-14-2018 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #324
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader View Post
Actually everything below the Mercedes C Class and the Audi A4 already has a transverse platform with a FWD/AWD setup and uses basically the same AWD setup as their lesser powered versions in each range so BMW is doing exactly the same thing.
That was my mistake - sorry. I absolutely meant to type "transverse". Thank you for pointing out my error. I have corrected it.

BMW isn't quite doing the same thing. Yes, all three use a transverse platform, but BMW is the only one who has not gone all in with a full-bore high performance lineup akin to what they offer for their longitudinal chassis. Audi and Mercedes offer top of the line AMG and RS models with ~400hp (rumored to be as much as 420hp for Mercedes second generation AMG *45 vehicles, the first of which is launching very soon). As I mentioned in my post, BMW's lineup will top out with the 300hp M*35i M Performance models.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #325
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Four or five years ago, when knowledge of UKL BMWs (BMWs that will share the MINI platform, and thus be FWD) came about, it looked as if that is exactly what would happen. SCOTT has suggested that there was a degree of conflict and debate within BMW about this possibility.

In the end, a compromise was made. All sub-3-Series BMWs would move to UKL except the coupe and convertible which would stay on CLAR. This would allow both the 2 Series Coupe and the M2 to remain RWD. That's a big win for enthusiasts who want a high performance two-door passenger car.

So far however, for everyone else, it comes at price. All other form factors not only move to the FWD/AWD architecture, but the line up will top out with 300hp M Performance models. Contrast this to Audi and Mercedes approach where there is no small RWD coupe/convertible below the C Class and A4, but they invested in a full AMG and Quattro Sport RS chassis and powertrain for their *transverse* platform. They are therefore able to share this hardware across their small sedans, hatchbacks and SUVs, and offer high performance products with the level of performance that enthusiasts expect in form factors that can satisfy most everyone.

Seeing how well the AMG A45, RS3, etc. are selling, I'm pretty sure BMW will eventually give in and make their smaller UKL models available in full M guise as well Keeping M as a purist RWD-based only lineup as opposed to AMG and Audi Sport is laudable... But if there are more buyers willing to jump from their A45 over to a new 1M hatch (hell, they could call it M1 hatch at this point) than there would be leaving BMW for 'selling out', then they most definitely will do it. Let's hope no M2 Active Tourer though
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #326
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
Dear BMW:

Don't make another mistake... this has to available as an M2GC (S55) and would be the hottest hatch EVER.

KTHXBAI
S55 not possible with front drive platform and side mounted engine. This is based on the x1 platform shared with MINI. Won't be 50/50 weight distribution and little in common with the M2C or M240i. 35i designation is for the B46.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #327
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader View Post
True but then why would I buy this over an Audi? What's the differentiation?

2-series has RWD with a straight 6 and that's what sells it over an A3. Frankly, that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #328
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Seeing how well the AMG A45, RS3, etc. are selling, I'm pretty sure BMW will eventually give in and make their smaller UKL models available in full M guise as well Keeping M as a purist RWD-based only lineup as opposed to AMG and Audi Sport is laudable... But if there are more buyers willing to jump from their A45 over to a new 1M hatch (hell, they could call it M1 hatch at this point) than there would be leaving BMW for 'selling out', then they most definitely will do it. Let's hope no M2 Active Tourer though
I mean, at that point won't the entire lineup be all electric anyway so all this will me moot? [ducks]
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #329
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
This just in - the next M2 will be FWD to provide increased oversteer and torque steer, something current owners said they prefer in their sports coupe. We interviewed 72 year old John Johnson and current BMW X2 owner and he confirmed, "When I drive, I don't like turning the wheel, but if I have to, I want it to be real easy like, and I don't want to worry about the back sliding should I accidentally push the gas pedal too hard. I also like the tug in the wheel I feel on my wife's Accord when I hit the gas, how hard can that be to duplicate, BMW?"

The only transmission option will be a 10 speed automatic developed in conjunction with FCA Group and pulled from the now defunct Chrysler 200. When asked about this decision, BMW execs said, "the consumer want more numbers and letters, so a 10 speed transmission is always better than 8, and an M245.75i Sport Xdrive will be perceived as more valuable and exclusive than a simple 230i."

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #330
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Crazy how the 2 is the new 3 huh
Closed Thread