ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
Naiart
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M

Rust Proofing - Yay or Nay?

Apologies if this has already been posted. I’m planning to drive my new to me Z4M roadie daily through the Ontario winter, as I don’t have space for a second car.

Is rustproofing a good idea? And if so, does anyone know a good shop in the GTA for it? Or can I get away with frequent washes and living on a prayer.

Thanks for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:30 AM   #2
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiart View Post
Apologies if this has already been posted. I’m planning to drive my new to me Z4M roadie daily through the Ontario winter, as I don’t have space for a second car.

Is rustproofing a good idea? And if so, does anyone know a good shop in the GTA for it? Or can I get away with frequent washes and living on a prayer.

Thanks for your reply.
I use Krown. I had a 2000 Honda Civic that I drove year round through GTA winters that I rust proofed every year and I ran into it the other day nine years after selling it and the body was still in fantastic condition. Underneath had rust, you can't stop everything, but the wheel welds were still great and are usually a weak spot on those cars for rust. My 128i same thing. I see newer cars on the road in worse condition rust wise and I suspect they don't wash enough and/or rust proof at all.

I was even contemplating getting my Z4M sprayed even though I store it and was going to ask forum members if I was crazy for thinking that!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

I've been doing Krown rust proofing on the Z4M since I first brought it home 6 or 7yrs ago. I drove the first winter with it but after that it's been a garage queen. I also rust proof all my BMWs with Krown.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

U could get a winter beater for the cost of rustproofing (which if not applied correctly makes matters worse) and winter rims and tires. This car may have good weight distribution but the low 1st gear and 10w60 oil do not make it a daily winter car. I wouldnt even consider it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

My car came from Florida and goes away well before the snow (and salt) arrives, so no rust proofing for me.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post

I was even contemplating getting my Z4M sprayed even though I store it and was going to ask forum members if I was crazy for thinking that!
Yes, that sounds like a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
U could get a winter beater for the cost of rustproofing (which if not applied correctly makes matters worse) and winter rims and tires. This car may have good weight distribution but the low 1st gear and 10w60 oil do not make it a daily winter car. I wouldnt even consider it.
There are people that daily them through the winters in Chicago and whatnot. If you get good winter tires it makes a big difference, and you can run different weight oil for different conditions, just may want to change it more often.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
You definitely can winter drive the Z4M, the biggest problem I see would be ground clearance. Any deep snow and it'll turn into a plow.

I don't daily my Z4 so it's not rust proofed, but I do my M3 so it's rust proofed by Rust Chek in Mississauga. My dad managed that shop for around 10 years so we still have a good relationship with the owner/workers so it's where I trust.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0