ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
bigjet
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4

clock spring

airbag lite stays on and code reader says steering wheel. Looks like clock spring problem. Any suggestions
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #2
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Welcome aboard to the electrical bug some of us have been having. There's very few threads on this. Dbarton figured out his issue, however, he was not having the airbag light on. I do have the airbag light on, and that's when all the other issues occur; blinkers don't come up in dash, radio controls and steering control buttons don't work, AC doesn't blow cold.
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I had the airbag light stay on and the code translation was something along the lines of too much or inconsistent resistance. I removed the Airbag, steering wheel and cleaned all the associated connections involving them and the clock spring as far as I dared with CRC spray quick drying electronics cleaner. I say as far as I dare because when I got down to some of the components behind the clock spring (I think relays) some small plastic pieces started to break when trying to remove them. Upon re-assembly when reconnecting the various plugs I put them on and off a few times as to perhaps clean off some of the contacts. Buttoned it all back together. Cleared the code with an PC based INPA setup I had cobbled together and all was good. That was over a year ago. Total time in the car was about an hour I think.

If I had to do it again, I'd purchase a code reader that can clear the airbag code. Getting that INPA setup running was a real PITA. I assembled a write up with some pictures in the DIY section.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
bigjet
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4

removed the steering wheel and cleaned all. Re-assembled and all is good. Cleared the codes and airbag lite gone.
Appreciate 0