ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
Thank you again kind sir for this fascinating snippet of american history.

Two things either need to happen

A. These all made into a book. Very easy using online sites.
B. Start teaching a history course. You would excel!

Thanks again!

JHLC
JHLC,

You're quite welcome, my friend. (So many snippets, so little time… )

For some time I've had in mind the idea of combining these reports into a book (or maybe several books). I'm sure I could easily sell at least 10 or 15 of them! Seriously, it would be nice to have them all handy in a couple of volumes. Perhaps one of these days.

As for the history course, I suspect that the students would all wonder why a modern-day BMW Z4 kept showing up in scenes of the American Revolution, Civil War, etc.!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #24
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
So I got up this morning and grabbed some breakfast, still feeling like I was not fully over my late winter flu. I decided to grab a cup of tea and check out the forum and lo and behold, came across this story. I sat down to read and was completely absorbed by the story. At the end, my tea was gone and so was my flu, for the most part.

Thanks for the great read and flu remedy!!!!
Huz-Z,

Aha--when I turn the stories into a book and go to market it, I can get you to write a testimonial for the back cover regarding their therapeutic nature! A guaranteed cure for the flu!

For FDA approval, I'll have to explain how the process works. First, one reads several of my reports in a row. Second, they fall asleep. Third, rest and sleep are the best things for treating the flu. Et voila!

Seriously, I'm glad you're feeling better, and I hope the Grey Ghost story helped at least a little.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #25
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
The word "travelogue" does not do justice to this piece. Another excellent adventure which amuses and enlightens.

I grew up 3 miles from Chickamauga Battlefield, so I know a little bit about living with the ghosts of history around you. Thanks for the history lesson!
Dr. J,

Many thanks!

I also post these reports on the Washington, DC BMW motorcycle club forum. One of the members there reminded me that 2013 is the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg and that there will be a gigantic reenactment--possibly the largest such event ever.

I better dust off my lawn chair and my replica Colt 44 Navy Revolver and start planning!

Of course, it will also be the anniversary of the Battle of Chicamauga. I'm hoping to get down to Tennessee one of these months to do some touring there. That battlefield will be a mandatory destination.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #26
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeggman View Post
Magnificent!!!

Side Note: My Great-Grandfather (we have long generations) was in the 10th NY Cavalry. He was taken prisoner at the Battle of Gettysburg, imprisoned at Belle Isle in the middle of the James River, Richmond, Va. and eventually paroled to Annapolis, Md. after the winter and the loss of approx 1/2 the prisoners at Belle Isle.

There is an area in Annapolis, that is called Parole (near the Annapolis Mall) as a result of the over crowding at St. John's College of paroled Union prisoners. The Union rented farm land in the outlying area of Annapolis to handle the overflow, hence the name Parole has stuck to that area through today.

Thanks again Rick, your articles are priceless.
Yeggman,

Glad you enjoyed the story! And many thanks for the interesting information about how Parole got its name. I've been through Parole a number of times over the years, but I'd never heard its connection to the Civil War.

And I'm especially glad that your great-grandfather, like Loogey's, made it out alive.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #27
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko521 View Post
Seriously...you should consider writing a history book.
bucko,

That's a great idea. Unfortunately, if I got worn out toward the end of the project, I might be tempted to start making things up, for convenience!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #28
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
I was a Navy brat. By grade 11 I had gone to 11 schools. My Father was an Airman, enlisting in the RC Air Force in '35 or so. He took leave, and went to university, where he received Army training...In '40? He joined the Wavy Navy and was assigned as a radar officer on cruisers in the Royal Navy serving in the Mediterranean. He wrote a book and published it just before his death in '93. He had retired as a Captain in the Royal Canadian Navy.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=IM1S...ed=0CDQQ6AEwAA

When I was 10 we moved to the US. He had been serving at sea for 8 years or so, including the Korean War.
Dave,

It sounds like your Dad was quite a fellow. My father trained as a navigator and weatherman for service in B-29s during WWII. The war ended shortly before he would have shipped out for overseas duty.

Most people don't realize that radar was one of the Allies' "secret weapons." I believe it was instrumental in the defense of England during the "Battle of Britain." Is your Dad's book still in print?

Rick
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #29
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3 30i-'11 BMW 128i

Garage List
Wow! What a story! As a history graduate from LSU (who's 1st superintendent was none other that Gen. William T. Sherman when it was a military academy in Pineville, LA) that was truly an enjoyable read. That area of our great country has played such a vital role in the formative years of the US as we know it, and it's always a pleasure reading of your exploits out there.
Thank you for such an informative and well-presented snippet of history.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #30
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Dave,

It sounds like your Dad was quite a fellow. My father trained as a navigator and weatherman for service in B-29s during WWII. The war ended shortly before he would have shipped out for overseas duty.

Most people don't realize that radar was one of the Allies' "secret weapons." I believe it was instrumental in the defense of England during the "Battle of Britain." Is your Dad's book still in print?

Rick
Sent you a PM...

The Brits recruited young electrical engineering students as "Radar Officers" at the beginning of the war. My Father was one...graduating from Queen's University in '41. Several of my classmates were sons of Radar Officers. There was a huge need then. Of course, the war was well under way when he started; he graduated early, without exams, to serve.

Now we have radar- like sensor controlled braking in cars with advanced cruise control! My how things have changed. My 530 xi t had that.

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #31
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

I had no idea how horrible the Civil War really was. Alumnireview states, "The war was the bloodiest in American history. By the time the last shot was fired, more than 750,000 Americans had been killed. By comparison 25,000 died inthe Revolutionary War; 116,000 in WWI, 405,000 in WWII, 36,000 in the Korean War, and 58,000 in the Vietnam conflict)"

www.alumnireview.queensu.ca , "A conflict without end?"

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #32
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
I had no idea how horrible the Civil War really was. Alumnireview states, "The war was the bloodiest in American history. By the time the last shot was fired, more than 750,000 Americans had been killed."
That is a huge number.... considering that the USA population was about 31 million people at the start of the war. In today's numbers that would amount to about 8.5 million people being killed. Devastating numbers no matter how you look at it.

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0