ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Please help! Coolant Leak!

Hey everyone, I'm sort of a novice when it comes to participating in this forum but I've been forced to post on here after my research ended up empty handed. I own a 2005 BMW Z4 3.0 and recently I've discovered that some of my coolant has run down onto my belts and which sort of slung it onto my air intake box. I noticed this after seeing some white remnants of dried coolant on the side of the air intake box but I can't seem to find the leak anywhere. As of right now I'm thinking it's the water pump but I'm not too entirely sure since I've never had such a situation before. I'll try to send in some pictures when I've got some time, hopefully they'll help give you all an idea of what's going on.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Urgent!!

Is there anyone that can help?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
B328iC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97 328iC, 2003 Z4

Could water pump, thermostat, a hose. Pictures would help.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Expansion tank is another known leak point.
How many miles on the car?
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #5
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
If your around 80k I'd say redo it all ... expansion tank thermo and pump, I chose to do hoses but that would be up to you
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Expansion tank is another known leak point.
How many miles on the car?
My car is at about 107,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Pics will help. Cooling system due for an overhaul at those miles if still original
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Quote:
Pics will help. Cooling system due for an overhaul at those miles if still original
Whs
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #9
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here are the pictures. After some investigation I found out that the coolant reservoirs leaking a little bit. That still doesn't explain how there is some coolant flinging into my air box...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #10
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Place a piece of cardboard under your radiator area overnight and note location of drips next day. Should pinpoint the leak area.

Also any leakage of fluids will be pushed towards the rear of the car when vehicle is at speed. The pulleys will pick up that fluid and fling it.

Lastly, replace those parts noted by WickedNY. It’s time. And cheap insurance
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #11
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think that my plan of action will be to first replace the coolant reservoir since I know for a fact that is one thing that is at fault. If the problem isn't fixed then I'll do what you have mentioned. As an 18 year old getting into bmws this was devastating for me so thank you everyone for your input.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #12
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Preventative maintenance, be thankful your situation wasn't like mine... out of state, no prior warnings, coolant tank ruptured while driving on weekend. Towing + paying for somebody do to something that id do myself at home...stealership prices...lesson learned + 1 expansion tank in garage parts bin
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #13
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNy View Post
Preventative maintenance, be thankful your situation wasn't like mine... out of state, no prior warnings, coolant tank ruptured while driving on weekend. Towing + paying for somebody do to something that id do myself at home...stealership prices...lesson learned + 1 expansion tank in garage parts bin
It's such a sad reality when a owners of bmws start calling dealerships a stealership. Really says something about BMW and their way with customers.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:34 PM   #14
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Vasha View Post
I think that my plan of action will be to first replace the coolant reservoir since I know for a fact that is one thing that is at fault. If the problem isn't fixed then I'll do what you have mentioned. As an 18 year old getting into bmws this was devastating for me so thank you everyone for your input.

If it is leaking from the reservoir then make sure you don't drive it at all. It can explode at any second. Good place to get the parts is ECS Tuning, it's where I get all of my parts. Luckily it's not too expensive for the parts and it's a very easy car to work on. Mine went out on the highway, no fun! I replaced every part in the system. Might be good to replace the oil filter housing gasket while you're in there, that also is a matter of time and is cheap and easy to do. Valve cover gasket is the other thing. Other than those things you're set...besides the crazy steering these things get in the heat. That too has a solution, free but tricky.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:48 AM   #15
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Quote:

If it is leaking from the reservoir then make sure you don't drive it at all. It can explode at any second. Good place to get the parts is ECS Tuning, it's where I get all of my parts. Luckily it's not too expensive for the parts and it's a very easy car to work on. Mine went out on the highway, no fun! I replaced every part in the system. Might be good to replace the oil filter housing gasket while you're in there, that also is a matter of time and is cheap and easy to do. Valve cover gasket is the other thing. Other than those things you're set...besides the crazy steering these things get in the heat. That too has a solution, free but tricky.
Noted, although I have checked the gaskets on what you stated and they all seem to check out for now. I just need to get this stupid coolant stuff situated. Luckily my uncle is a mechanic so I'll buy the parts and have him advise me on the matter.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #16
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hey everyone. After some more deep digging and investigation it's the thermostat that's at fault. I found one online that's an aluminum build. Should I get that one or should I stick with the plastic ones?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #17
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey everyone. After some more deep digging and investigation it's the thermostat that's at fault. I found one online that's an aluminum build. Should I get that one or should I stick with the plastic ones?
Honestly don't skimp out highly highly suggest you replace all listed above...learn from others misfortunes
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #18
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
lots of variables.are you keeping it for the long haul? I'd get the stewart pump