ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Need some picture taking help.

I am going to Bimmerfest East on the 6th. I borrowed a friends Canon EOS Rebel XT so I can take some great pictures.

Instead of staying in 'Automode' does anyone have some suggestions on settings? I have already set the storage mode for the highest resolution and I set it up to save the pictures in JPGs and RAW format. Both will be saved for each shot.

It should be sunny and bright out...

I have 8Gig, 4Gig and 2Gig compact-flash cards set up...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Stick with Auto - that's why these cameras have these featuresSo old guys like us can take decent pictures...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Auto mode will make sure everything's exposed properly, but there are other things you might want to consider - particularly stopping motion blur and making sure all of the portions of the image you want are in focus (depth of field).

The first of these comes from having a high enough shutter speed (typically figure 1/focal length - i.e. if you're shooting with a 50mm lens then you'll need to shoot at 1/50th of a second or preferably faster). If you're shooting fast moving action then you may need to bump this up to something considerably faster to freeze the motion.

The second depends a bit on what you're shooting. For portraits folks generally like to blur out the background and use a relatively low f number (I don't know what lens you'll be using, but if it's a standard kit lens then as wide as it will go - f/3.5-5.6). For everything else, though, you probably want a much larger depth of field top keep everything in focus. For this you'll usually want at least f/8.

On Canon cameras the simplest way to control these parameters is to go into P, Av or T modes. In P mode the camera will guess at a shutter speed and aperture, but you can modify them as you see fit. In Av mode you pick the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed. In T mode it's the reverse. All these modes work, but you may find one or another more convenient - I personally find Av mode easiest to deal with.

Finally, there's the question of ISO speed. Setting this to a high number like 400-800 allows you to use high f numbers and short shutter speed, but gives a noisier (grainier) result. Noise isn't the prettiest thing, but it's generally better than out of focus images. In bright sun I'd probably start with ISO 200 (which most DSLRs can handle with minimal noise) but be ready to bump it up if you're not getting the f number and shutter speed you want.

That's all I can think of that won't take the next hour to write...

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Shipkiller won't be able to figure all that out This is not a weapons system, it's a camera damn it
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
Auto mode will make sure everything's exposed properly, but there are other things you might want to consider - particularly stopping motion blur and making sure all of the portions of the image you want are in focus (depth of field).

The first of these comes from having a high enough shutter speed (typically figure 1/focal length - i.e. if you're shooting with a 50mm lens then you'll need to shoot at 1/50th of a second or preferably faster). If you're shooting fast moving action then you may need to bump this up to something considerably faster to freeze the motion.

The second depends a bit on what you're shooting. For portraits folks generally like to blur out the background and use a relatively low f number (I don't know what lens you'll be using, but if it's a standard kit lens then as wide as it will go - f/3.5-5.6). For everything else, though, you probably want a much larger depth of field top keep everything in focus. For this you'll usually want at least f/8.

On Canon cameras the simplest way to control these parameters is to go into P, Av or T modes. In P mode the camera will guess at a shutter speed and aperture, but you can modify them as you see fit. In Av mode you pick the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed. In T mode it's the reverse. All these modes work, but you may find one or another more convenient - I personally find Av mode easiest to deal with.

Finally, there's the question of ISO speed. Setting this to a high number like 400-800 allows you to use high f numbers and short shutter speed, but gives a noisier (grainier) result. Noise isn't the prettiest thing, but it's generally better than out of focus images. In bright sun I'd probably start with ISO 200 (which most DSLRs can handle with minimal noise) but be ready to bump it up if you're not getting the f number and shutter speed you want.

That's all I can think of that won't take the next hour to write...

Have fun!
newer canon and nikon DSLRs don't really show noise until ISO 1600 or so
      07-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
newer canon and nikon DSLRs don't really show noise until ISO 1600 or so
Yep. This shot was with ISO 3200 when I was still learning the camera in winter: Still little noise.

Nikon D3100

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Stick with Auto - that's why these cameras have these featuresSo old guys like us can take decent pictures...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Shipkiller won't be able to figure all that out This is not a weapons system, it's a camera damn it

To know me is to love me.. Or hate me...
Appreciate 0