ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #8053
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
CNN reporting is, in fact, VERY biased and has been for a very long time. Mr. Trump is simply the first leader to call them on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
It's amazing what they report is corroborated by the rest of the media!

The rest of the media....

By this - he means

MSNBC
VOX
NYT
VICE NEWS
HUFFINGTON POST
SLATE
MOTHER JONES
JACOBIAN

Wrong! I have quoted the New York Times a few times, I don't read or use the other stuff. They are biased.
Saying anything else is a lie. And you know it.
      10-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #8054
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks View Post
Do you even read his posts?
I pride myself in being a fairly intelligent, yet sometimes condescending, asshole.

No on the first, absolutely on the second.
      10-18-2019, 09:57 PM   #8055
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Another large miss:

Trump's National Doral Miami golf course to host G7 summit

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50087836

How the fuck did his "team" allow this? This is an astoundingly stupid move, even by this administration's standards.
There won't be any meaningful political fallout over this. Only haters crying like whiny bitches not getting their way. That makes it a hit to me.
      10-18-2019, 10:14 PM   #8056
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
There won't be any meaningful political fallout over this. Only haters crying like whiny bitches not getting their way. That makes it a hit to me.
The president awarding a contract to himself is the epitome of corruption. Too bad you can't see it. But please refresh me on how Biden is the corrupt one.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #8057
glennQNYC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
Quote:
The president awarding a contract to himself is the epitome of corruption.
He didn't "award a contract to himself." This is so dumb I don't know where to start. What I do know is it isn't worth trying to explain it; or hearing you compose some fallacy. Enjoy your evening.
      10-19-2019, 07:20 AM   #8058
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Riveting insight. Thanks.

I'm betting Mulvaney is gone within 12 mos, probably within 6.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2019, 07:36 AM   #8059
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Hooligan - you are usually quite rational - but you and I both know that you are now dealing in semantics.

I'll refer to a quote from a past president - "It depends on what your definition of 'is', is."

We all know that the emolument clause is referring to the fact that a sitting president should not be receiving any financial benefit from the office. We also know that every sitting president and member of congress has violated that principle. Otherwise, each elected official would leave office with no additional net worth or income during that period other than their official salary.

There is enough legitimate beef with Trump to attack him with, trying to grasp at straws to get every little nitpick isn't going to solve anything, help anyone, or prove any point.

Addendum: If you read that definition in entirety, it reads "a salary, fee, or profit" - one can easily interpret that as that a salary or fee is also representative of a profit. I certainly expect to profit from my salary and also expect any fee I charge to ultimately profit me as well.

If, as president, I perform a service that costs me money directly, and I am reimbursed for that cost - but nothing more than my cost, then there is no way that is in any way a violation. This is essentially the same thing. Again, bad optics for sure, but nothing more.
One can also easily interpret it as saying all three things - salary/fee/profit - are verboten. Yes?

You're an accountant Helena, so let me ask you this:

A business like Doral has certain fixed monthly costs, right?

Say that business then hosts a large event during their off-peak season (we'll call it hurricane season) that nets them a higher-than-average/expected occupancy.

That could easily represent actual profit for the business for that time period, compared to "average" or projected revenue for that time period, even if they charged them a discounted "at cost" rate. Yes?

Not to forget the aforementioned free advertising the property would get from all of the news coverage. How much is an international ad campaign worth?

Keep in mind that all this is based on the very questionable premise that the emoluments clause was only meant to address profit, not payment. An extension of that supposition is that I, as President, could own a building - let's say it's called 666 Fifth, and I bought it at the height of the market (i.e. over-payed) and am now taking a monthly loss on the property of $1.25M a month. A foreign government could rent the building from me for $1.249M a month, even though "market rate" was $750K a month, and that would be hunky dory because I wasn't making a profit?

This is definitely not semantics, it is a very real pitfall of having an international businessman in the White House.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #8060
glennQNYC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Some thoughts on this stupid emoluments topic.

1. This discussion should be had in the context that President Trump donates his annual $400,000 Presidential salary to charity. Every quarter the White House announces what charity/organization he is going to give $100,000 of his salary to.

2. He didn't need to become POTUS in the first place. He was already a multi billionaire earning a $60m a year salary (that's $1.15m a week)!

3. Does anyone really think President Trump or the Trump brand has increased their brand equity since he decided to run for President? The Trump name is far, far more polarizing than it was before he jumped into the political arena. President Trump and Trump brands have been negatively impacted by him becoming President.

10-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #8061
Dagamus_NM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 x1, '10 m3, '91 332iC

Quote:
One can also easily interpret it as saying all three things - salary/fee/profit - are verboten. Yes?

You're an accountant Helena, so let me ask you this:

A business like Doral has certain fixed monthly costs, right?

Say that business then hosts a large event during their off-peak season (we'll call it hurricane season) that nets them a higher-than-average/expected occupancy.

That could easily represent actual profit for the business for that time period, compared to "average" or projected revenue for that time period, even if they charged them a discounted "at cost" rate. Yes?

Not to forget the aforementioned free advertising the property would get from all of the news coverage. How much is an international ad campaign worth?

Keep in mind that all this is based on the very questionable premise that the emoluments clause was only meant to address profit, not payment. An extension of that supposition is that I, as President, could own a building - let's say it's called 666 Fifth, and I bought it at the height of the market (i.e. over-payed) and am now taking a monthly loss on the property of $1.25M a month. A foreign government could rent the building from me for $1.249M a month, even though "market rate" was $750K a month, and that would be hunky dory because I wasn't making a profit?

This is definitely not semantics, it is a very real pitfall of having an international businessman in the White House.

Even if he held the event there for free there is a certain level of prestige associated with such an event. That prestige translates to increases in revenue and facility usage. All of the Trump properties are doing this. But those used for official purposes are seeing much more increase in revenues and usage.

Mar-A-Lago has doubled its membership fees. Why? The answer is quite obvious. The prestige associated with the presidency.

Those that shrug it off will be back to crying over the smallest thing when the pendulum swings the other way.
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #8062
Dagamus_NM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What a colossal pussy.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-...awful-coverage

While the reporting is obviously biased, the man spent eight years pushing conspiracy nonsense about our previous president that aired on right wing news media. I don't recall Obama suing over that.

What a small man Trump is. Complete and total pussy.
Appreciate 2
cjb762563.50
mbanks21920.00

10-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #8063
glennQNYC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post
What a colossal pussy.

While the reporting is obviously biased, the man spent eight years pushing conspiracy nonsense about our previous president that aired on right wing news media. I don't recall Obama suing over that.

That's fighting back. Welcome to politics.
      10-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #8064
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Riveting insight. Thanks.

I'm betting Mulvaney is gone within 12 mos, probably within 6.
Months? Could also be days......maybe weeks.
      10-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #8065
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Give me a break the entire media wasnt trying to forward an agenda to impeach Obama over every sentence he said.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #8066
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
What a colossal pussy.

Well isn't it great Trump can push back against CNN, but not Turkey.....

10-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #8067
Dagamus_NM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Suing over every little thing. Used to be that was something the right would criticize.

The letter he wrote to Erdogan and Turkey's subsequent response tells everything we need to know about Trump and his strength. He rolls over constantly and people see it as winning.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #8068
glennQNYC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Quote:
Suing over every little thing. Used to be that was something the right would criticize.

The letter he wrote to Erdogan and Turkey's subsequent response tells everything we need to know about Trump and his strength. He rolls over constantly and people see it as winning.
I thinks it's comical that you characterize years-long attempts to weaken our President as a "little thing."
      10-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #8069
Dagamus_NM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I thinks it's comical that you characterize years-long attempts to weaken our President as a "little thing."
The man files lawsuits over everything. He is the biggest snowflake in the world.

He can dish it but he sure cannot take anything even remotely construed as criticism.

CNN bias is not weakening him, he is and has always been weak.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #8070
glennQNYC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Quote:
The man files lawsuits over everything. He is the biggest snowflake in the world.

He can dish it but he sure cannot take anything even remotely construed as criticism.

CNN bias is not weakening him, he is and has always been weak.
Wondering if you realize that a lawsuit wasn't actually filed. This was a shot across the bow. Like I said... Welcome to politics.
      10-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #8071
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

Quote:
Some thoughts on this stupid emoluments topic.

1. This discussion should be had in the context that President Trump donates his annual $400,000 Presidential salary to charity. Every quarter the White House announces what charity/organization he is going to give $100,000 of his salary to.

2. He didn't need to become POTUS in the first place. He was already a multi billionaire earning a $60m a year salary (that's $1.15m a week)!

3. Does anyone really think President Trump or the Trump brand has increased their brand equity since he decided to run for President? The Trump name is far, far more polarizing than it was before he jumped into the political arena. President Trump and Trump brands have been negatively impacted by him becoming President.
1) Doesn't matter, it's still covered under "can't accept items of value"
2) Again doesn't matter. It's still covered under "can't accept items of value"
3) Refer to 1 & 2
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2019, 05:36 PM   #8072
Dagamus_NM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wondering if you realize that a lawsuit wasn't actually filed. This was a shot across the bow. Like I said... Welcome to politics.
It is still part of his character. Even if it has some merit in this case.

I honestly wish he would sue and set a precedent. Take the news back to what it was in the 1980s and 90s. There is enough going on in the world for a 24 hour news network to report without all of the opinion stuff.

That said, he is still a weak man. Get rid of him and Pence and put somebody in that will actually stand up for America and challenge Putin.

Turkey, we are getting owned by Turkey. Do you not have a problem with this? China is expanding their footprint all over the world economically to the point that they won't need us. Russia is expanding their influence, particularly in places where we have been and what are we doing?

Obama was wrong to not raze Damascus, rid the world of Assad. Putin stepped in and challenged him and he backed down. The right went nuts and rightfully so, I was very disappointed in what I saw as the worst move of his presidency. Trump took a situation which had already turned in our favor regarding ISIS and to his credit mostly finished the job. Then he ditched our allies in the weakest of ways and sold our soldiers to Saudi Arabia.

We have always armed those fighting in our proxy wars. Supported them with air power and finances. For us to provide the men and Saudi to provide the money is not how this works. What kind of superpower are we if our men are dying for a Saudi conflict?
Appreciate 1
wdb1537.50

10-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #8073
glennQNYC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Get rid of him and Pence and put somebody in that [I like]
No. That's not how democracy works; no matter how much the Democrat party wants our elections to be dictated by elites. Support for President Trump is over 80% among Republicans. We've decided he is our guy for the 2020 election. Vote for someone else if you think they're better.

Quote:
Obama was wrong to not raze Damascus, rid the world of Assad.
Thank you for this. Your post provides me the opportunity to display my principles aren't dictated by party. I supported Presiden Obama's decision to stay out of Syria then, and I still do today.
      10-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #8074
glennQNYC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
we are getting owned by Turkey. Do you not have a problem with this?
Knowing Turkey is a member of NATO, and geographically important; what do you suggest? Don't tell me about problems and challenges; tell me the solutions you support. I'm all ears.

The other point I can't help but be disgusted by is how people seem to be forgetting that the American President represents we Americans. When Turkey allegedly throws our President's letter in the trash, they threw all of our letters in the trash. It's foolish for any American to think they're separate from this because they don't support the current POTUS.