ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #771
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Wait, is wood good or bad this year?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #772
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Wood is good again.
      01-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #773
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Wood is good again.
I've learned something about you Rick.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410882.00
      01-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #774
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Quote:
Wood is good again.
Just remember to keep It sanitized and well oiled! :

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410882.00
      01-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #775
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Presumably you like the Boos?
I have not had this one very long, seems to be good quality. I am retiring a Henckels board that is splitting. It has been totally neglected and abused (I would buy another one).

I have a round thick bamboo board that I use for pizzas (not sure of the brand, it was a gift), it has held up well.

The Boos board has a nice channel in it and a little catch drawer to catch juices, a picture of it is in my Thanksgiving post a page or so back. I was looking for something large enough to handle a prime rib roast or a whole turkey and contain any juices from carving. I have only used it a couple of times so far, and it has done exactly what I wanted.

Edit: The round bamboo, and the retiring Henckels Board
Attached Images

Last edited by KenB925; 01-03-2020 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410882.00
PoorLurker1135.00
      01-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #776
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

I am hungry
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      01-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #777
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Since we've decided wood boards are the best

what is everyone using for stainless steel non stick? I need a stainless non stick pan and am trying to research saute pan or skillet. I want to minimize the amount of pans so I am looking for a versatile pan.

Not sure if I even need a stainless saute pan as I have a nonstick one. Man the rabbit hole of researching this stuff sucks!

Last week, I was researching knives to the point I gave up, got rid of my knife block, and just kept a serrated knife, paring knife, and a chef knife. Found a Bob Kramer knife that felt so comfortable that even my wife noticed how much better I chopped. But the "what else is out there" got to me and about 20 hours of research later on knives, here I am asking about pans, hahaha
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #778
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Good stuff
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #779
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Since we've decided wood boards are the best

what is everyone using for stainless steel non stick? I need a stainless non stick pan and am trying to research saute pan or skillet. I want to minimize the amount of pans so I am looking for a versatile pan.

Not sure if I even need a stainless saute pan as I have a nonstick one. Man the rabbit hole of researching this stuff sucks!

Last week, I was researching knives to the point I gave up, got rid of my knife block, and just kept a serrated knife, paring knife, and a chef knife. Found a Bob Kramer knife that felt so comfortable that even my wife noticed how much better I chopped. But the "what else is out there" got to me and about 20 hours of research later on knives, here I am asking about pans, hahaha
We are actually switching from non-stick to stainless, mainly because of getting tired of non-stick pans bubbling, flaking or peeling. We bought 2 skillet / fry pans. One is an All-Clad copper core and the other is a French brand copper core I can't find any longer, but really like. We also have 2 All-Clad d5 sauce pans and did buy one small All-Clad non-stick for eggs. Anything else we buy will be pan by pan over time, as necessary. I'm not buying any more sets of pans.

I just upgraded my knives to Wusthof Classic Ikons (small set of 4 knives with block and shears + bought separate smaller serrated). All the good quality pans and knives expensive, at least to me.
PoorLurker1135.00
      01-03-2020, 04:01 PM   #780
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We are actually switching from non-stick to stainless, mainly because of getting tired of non-stick pans bubbling, flaking or peeling. We bought 2 skillet / fry pans. One is an All-Clad copper core and the other is a French brand copper core I can't find any longer, but really like. We also have 2 All-Clad d5 sauce pans and did buy one small All-Clad non-stick for eggs. Anything else we buy will be pan by pan over time, as necessary. I'm not buying any more sets of pans.
Since I built my outdoor kitchen I have been collecting cookware. All my stainless is All-Clad, Fry Pan, Saute Pan (Copper Core On that one), Stock Pot, and roasting pan. I am going to get an All-Clad non-stick soon, not sure what size I want.

In addition to that I like Le Creuset enameled pans and dutch oven, I have a grill pan too that I don't use much. The cast iron is nice for the wood oven, and I also put them on the grill pretty often.

I have another brand of enameled cast iron, one pan, one oval dutch oven, I'll see what brand they are when I get home. They have also been good, in the wood oven and on the grill.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410882.00
PoorLurker1135.00
      01-03-2020, 04:21 PM   #781
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Since I built my outdoor kitchen I have been collecting cookware. All my stainless is All-Clad, Fry Pan, Saute Pan (Copper Core On that one), Stock Pot, and roasting pan. I am going to get an All-Clad non-stick soon, not sure what size I want.

In addition to that I like Le Creuset enameled pans and dutch oven, I have a grill pan too that I don't use much. The cast iron is nice for the wood oven, and I also put them on the grill pretty often.

I have another brand of enameled cast iron, one pan, one oval dutch oven, I'll see what brand they are when I get home. They have also been good, in the wood oven and on the grill.
Forgot about Le Creuset. We have a couple of baking dishes for the oven. Also, I have an Emile Henry baking stone I use in the oven but haven’t tried on the grill yet. We have struggled with cast iron experiments due to humidity here, as well as repeated lack of diligence in care.
PoorLurker1135.00
      01-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #782
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I will probably look at 20 boards 20x each before purchasing but keep coming back to this one. It is a little smaller than I’d like but it will be used for food prep (including meat) and maybe serving. It won’t be used to carve roasts or turkeys so it might work.

https://www.amazon.com/Large-Reversi...8EVX93TYGR6PWJ
      01-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #783
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Forgot about Le Creuset. We have a couple of baking dishes for the oven. Also, I have an Emile Henry baking stone I use in the oven but haven’t tried on the grill yet. We have struggled with cast iron experiments due to humidity here, as well as repeated lack of diligence in care.
We’re using an older set of All Clad stainless (D3 series?) - 3 frying pans, Small and medium saucepans, medium and large sauté pans, soup pot, roasting pan, large stock pot with mesh basket and medium stockpot with colander insert. Also have a le creuset Dutch oven, circular braiser, and cast iron frying pan. 10 years old and still work/look great. Non-stick is still good for eggs and fish, so recently got a 2 frying pan All Clad set.

For stainless pans, get some barkeepers friend (powder not liquid) to get the stains, polymerized oil and stuck on bits off. Works great and keeps them looking new.

Knives are all Wusthof Grand Prix II, but I do want to pick up a Chinese cleaver and a Japanese chef’s knife soon.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      01-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #784
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
We’re using an older set of All Clad stainless (D3 series?) - 3 frying pans, Small and medium saucepans, medium and large sauté pans, soup pot, roasting pan, large stock pot with mesh basket and medium stockpot with colander insert. Also have a le creuset Dutch oven, circular braiser, and cast iron frying pan. 10 years old and still work/look great. Non-stick is still good for eggs and fish, so recently got a 2 frying pan All Clad set.

For stainless pans, get some barkeepers friend (powder not liquid) to get the stains, polymerized oil and stuck on bits off. Works great and keeps them looking new.

Knives are all Wusthof Grand Prix II, but I do want to pick up a Chinese cleaver and a Japanese chef’s knife soon.
Yep, we also use Barkeepers powder. Works great. Also try to wash, dry and out away right away. My wife hates that part.

I’ve actually put the Le Creuset pieces in the dish washer. Makes me cringe every time I do, but they seem fine other than water spots that wipe off. We don’t use them much but not sure I’d do it if we used them a lot.
      01-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #785
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
True cast iron is finicky stuff...or we just over clean everything.

I only have one piece that is truly well seasoned and as non-stick as anything could be, but it is used for only one thing (those pancake balls).

Other then that one piece I have more or less switched to the enameled cast iron (Le Creuset), easier to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:25 PM   #786
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep, we also use Barkeepers powder. Works great. Also try to wash, dry and out away right away. My wife hates that part.

I’ve actually put the Le Creuset pieces in the dish washer. Makes me cringe every time I do, but they seem fine other than water spots that wipe off. We don’t use them much but not sure I’d do it if we used them a lot.
If it’s not plates or silverware it usually doesn’t go in our dishwasher. Glass, wood, knives and pots/pans usually get hand washed.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:35 PM   #787
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If it’s not plates or silverware it usually doesn’t go in our dishwasher. Glass, wood, knives and pots/pans usually get hand washed.
We put daily glasses, but not crystal, in the dishwasher. No good knives, pans or wood though. We do have a pretty good Bosch dishwasher that does a nice job.
      01-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #788
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Good info guys! Thanks!

I agree with not wanting to buy sets. Sure you get more of a deal break, but I don't want to house so many things. Though I just increased my storage space in the kitchen drastically, I want to cut back on items. I have one pantry door with 3 shelves providing me space for a bag of rice, rice cooker above that, kitchen aid mixer, and on the top - my blender.

Looks so nice to open the door and only see one item per shelf. (it's a fairly narrow shelf)

My next rabbit hole is how to taste... (like a chef)

I need to learn the foundations of cooking so I can tell when yogurt or ... should be added

I am about to message some chefs on Thumbtack and ask if they can develop some curriculum for me. Might be a bit odd as people probably just request a tutorial on how to cook a recipe. I am more of a Chopped chef kind of guy. Open the cabinet and see what I can make from presented ingredients.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 06:43 PM   #789
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post

My next rabbit hole is how to taste... (like a chef)

I need to learn the foundations of cooking so I can tell when yogurt or ... should be added

I am about to message some chefs on Thumbtack and ask if they can develop some curriculum for me. Might be a bit odd as people probably just request a tutorial on how to cook a recipe. I am more of a Chopped chef kind of guy. Open the cabinet and see what I can make from presented ingredients.
Pick up Salt Fat Acid Heat (book, not the Netflix show) - it’ll help you understand the concepts of the four major elements so you can get a feel for how to ad lib. They had it at Costco a while back, but you can find it plenty of other places too.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 06:56 PM   #790
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Pick up Salt Fat Acid Heat (book, not the Netflix show) - it’ll help you understand the concepts of the four major elements so you can get a feel for how to ad lib. They had it at Costco a while back, but you can find it plenty of other places too.
Book goes in much more depth than the series? The series was fun to watch, but it seemed like it lacked the technical detail I was looking for.

edit: just skimmed the first 51 pages on preview and it looks like the depth that I was looking for!

Will pick it up!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #791
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Smile

Broke out the electric Deep Fryer recently. Southern Fried Catfish! *drool

01-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #792
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Broke out the electric Deep Fryer recently. Southern Fried Catfish! *drool
DUUUDE!! I know we're at odds over in the non-Cowboys thread, but come on buddy, where's the invite??? I might have brought rum.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00