ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Gotta Laugh At Yourself Sometimes

Yesterday here in the NY area was beautiful and sunny...a nice apology after receiving a foot of snow on Saturday. I ventured out to a local park with my Fatbike on the rack, cranked up the seat heater and put the top down. There was no wind, the air was crisp and all was good. Waiting at a stop light to enter the Sawmill River Parkway I hear a noise to the left and turn my head... to see a snowplow on the parkway send a pile of slush in the air and headed straight for me. "Really, is this going to happen!!" is all I could think. Luckily I didn't get nailed too bad in the cockpit. I gave the two hands in the air "oh well" sign to the guy in the truck behind me, put the roof up and continued on. Yeah, I felt a little foolish. Won't be the last time.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

I feel that way every time it starts raining when the top is down, except I can imagine dirty slush is even worse! Lucky for me, I haven't had a bird poop into the cockpit yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Glad to hear you didn't get soaked too badly. I would think salty slush and interior electronics would not mix. I imagine that plume of slush went into slow motion as you were watching it head for your car.

This reminds me of a story a deputy sheriff of a NC mountain town once told me. She said that a guy was driving down the highway when he saw someone in front of him hit a deer. The guy pulled over, and the deer appeared to be dead. He thought the deer's injuries must be internal. So, the guy decided he would put the top down on his red Cadillac convertible with white leather interior and wrestle that deer into the backseat for some free venison. It was work, but he managed to carefully get the deer in the backseat, put the top up, and start heading for his house. Only, that deer wasn't dead. It was cold stone knocked out, and about half way to the guy's house, that deer woke up, and decided it didn't care much for riding in the back of a Cadillac. When all was over, the white leather seats were torn and bloody--some of that blood was the deer's and some was the driver's. The top was torn, and windows were broken. The deer bolted as soon as the driver managed to pull over and open the door.

Word to the wise -- don't put roadkill in your convertible -- you might experience a resurrection firsthand.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

That sucks. Murphy's law right?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I had a similar thing happen as I was passing a livestock truck on the freeway.
Saw lots of brown liquid suddenly start squirting out of one of the holes.
Took evasive, and luckily it just ended up all along the outside of the passenger side.
Wow, it was close to a major disaster.
I now give livestock trucks a wide berth, instead of my usual teasing: "MMmm. Unprocesssed bacon!".
      01-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon
I had a similar thing happen as I was passing a livestock truck on the freeway.
Saw lots of brown liquid suddenly start squirting out of one of the holes.
Took evasive, and luckily it just ended up all along the outside of the passenger side.
Wow, it was close to a major disaster.
I now give livestock trucks a wide berth, instead of my usual teasing: "MMmm. Unprocesssed bacon!".
Dude!

Lots to take away from this thread!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MR

StickMon, I've never given much thought when passing a livestock truck...until now! Thanks for the heads up or if the top is down--"heads down"!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #8
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Has anyone been crapped on by a bird in the head yet? I've had one close call where it hit right next to the shifter...

-gc
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #9
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

The grossest story I've heard was my buddy's. He was cruising up I-93 to Lake Winnipesaukee in NH with the top down on his vintage Merc, following a big rig. Suddenly he felt drops and thought "funny, rain's not supposed to be in the forecast." A couple seconds later, he is completely covered in blood/guts along with the interior of his car. In case you don't know, NH is moose country and the big rig up ahead smashed right through one. Let's just say that vacation didn't go as planned.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas-can View Post
Has anyone been crapped on by a bird in the head yet? I've had one close call where it hit right next to the shifter...

-gc
While not in my car, I was on a San Diego beach bar deck and a seagull hit a perfect bullseye into my beer! Impressive, but pretty disgusting.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #11
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Has anyone been crapped on by a bird in the head yet?
It's only a matter of time.
Somebody near the 210 in Arcadia has a pigeon coop.
A cloud of them circles over my head every morning while I'm creeping along at 6 mph.
      01-27-2016, 06:27 AM   #12
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

That was a philosophy moment right there, sometimes life sucks but you gotta keep the top down in case it doesn't! haha
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #13
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:

-gc
Back in my Miata days I had a bird turd land on my leg as I sat at a red light....
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #14
HankDKrank
Seasoned Novice
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 Roadster

Isn't is a good luck charm if you get hit and wear it? On a fishing boat?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #15
Bossdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR Imola Red

Quote:
This reminds me of a story a deputy sheriff of a NC mountain town once told me. She said that a guy was driving down the highway when he saw someone in front of him hit a deer. The guy pulled over, and the deer appeared to be dead. He thought the deer's injuries must be internal. So, the guy decided he would put the top down on his red Cadillac convertible with white leather interior and wrestle that deer into the backseat for some free venison. It was work, but he managed to carefully get the deer in the backseat, put the top up, and start heading for his house. Only, that deer wasn't dead. It was cold stone knocked out, and about half way to the guy's house, that deer woke up, and decided it didn't care much for riding in the back of a Cadillac. When all was over, the white leather seats were torn and bloody--some of that blood was the deer's and some was the driver's. The top was torn, and windows were broken. The deer bolted as soon as the driver managed to pull over and open the door.

Word to the wise -- don't put roadkill in your convertible -- you might experience a resurrection firsthand.

Salty
TOMMY BOY!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #16
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Just finished detailing my beloeved Z4MR and chose a parking stall on the street to prevent door dings....came back to my car and I had parked under a street light pole on the Seattle waterfront....seagulls crapped ALL over my car.
      01-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #17
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

had 2lb of rotting meat under my passenger in the texas heat for a week..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #18
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossdog View Post
TOMMY BOY!
I didn't get the reference, so I googled it. That is too funny. I imagine that's exactly how it happened with the guy in Waynesville...or I was being told a tall tale. :-)

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0