ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

VIN Stickers

If this has been asked before I apologize in advance. I searched on "VIN", "VIN Sticker", and "Stickers" and didn't find an answer...

I recently worked on a friend's 2007 silver Z4 3.0si Roadster, to replace the Bank 1 Sensor lambda probe. I noticed that his car has stickers on the bolt flange of the front fender about halfway down next to the middle mounting bolt, across from the strut mount. I didn't look at them closely, and they looked faded, but I assumed they were VIN stickers. He bought his car18 months ago used from a BMW dealer.

My Z4 is a black 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe and has no such stickers on the fenders. And I never noticed them when I bought the car used from CarMax in December 2014. I have the original CarMax pics, which I just checked as I was writing this... There is only one pic of under the hood and there is no sticker on the right fender. But in December 2018, I hit a deer and had the right fender replaced, so I was thinking the BMW Certified shop didn't replace the sticker. As far as I know the left fender is original, but it could have been replaced at some point too prior to my ownership.

So my questions are: What are the stickers for? Do the 2007's and down have them only? Or, do the Roadsters only have them?

Can anyone shed some light?

TIA
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Sounds like the paint color sticker to me. Z4's don't have VIN stickers as earlier BMWs (including the Z3) had on every single body panel. Can you post a pic of exactly where these stickers are located?
      05-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

My car has one on the rear bumper that is only visible when you remove the license plate.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 11:21 PM   #4
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
My car has one on the rear bumper that is only visible when you remove the license plate.
That's a barcode for scanning during manufacturing and shipment. It's an industry standard and on all BMWs and most other manufacturers' vehicles.
Appreciate 0