ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-03-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
RickS
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0SI

Trouble shooting top problem...

I think I know the answer but figured I’d through this out there with the slim-to-none hope there’s another solution.

Here’s the background, last December bought an 06 3.0SI, power top worked great. Car looks to have been garage entire time (really clean underneath). This winter while in storage checked the drain plugs, poured water in by the plug and immediately came out the drains.

Three weeks ago brought the car in for the PCV Heater recall. While in had dealer change the oil and adjust the parking brake. The day after I picked it up I took it for a top down ride, went to put the top up and it went slower than before the trip to the dealer. It only got worse until this weekend it finally wouldn’t raise the top or put in down. You can hear the motor run but doesn’t move the top when trying to lower the top. Hear nothing when trying to raise it.

I assume it’s just a coincidence this happened right after the trip to the dealer. But could they have disconnected something or a programming issue (I know wishful thinking)? Roof latches and unlatches fine, windows go down ½ way.

Did the motor just give up after 13 years?

Is there a way to trouble shoot and confirm it’s the motor?

Pretty sure I now have a manual top car… but figured I ask. Been picking through the DIY section, doesn’t sound like a fun weekend job!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Could just be an ugly coincidence. Buuut:

Did the dealer provide a complimentary wash of your car?

Did they use a power washer, perchance?

If so, then I think you can argue that they may have damaged the top motor. I say this because A friend of mine used a power washer on his 2008 3.0si and within a week or so of doing that, his top motor had died. He called me one night in a panic wile I was out for a leisurely top down spin to tell me. Since then, I have told my dealer that under no circumstances are they to ever wash my car, regardless of whether it is a power wash or hand wash. And I know that they use power washers at my dealership because I have seen them being used there. Chances are, they are used at your dealership too.

If you get a response like "oh its just a bit of water, it can't hurt", remind them that water is more resistant to being compressed than steel, which is why cars use antifreeze in them so that the coolant won't expand upon freezing in cold weather and crack the metal block. Back in mechanical engineering school, I vividly recall our machine design prof demonstrating that if you hammer a metal pin into hole drilled part way through a plate, spec'ed for an interference fit, with a small drop of water at the bottom, the plate will split when the pin gets to the water because the water will not compress. Fire that stuff at high pressure at your top motor and voila.

Hail Mary suggestion - I assume that you have checked the little black knobs in the trunk, near the trunklid hinges, to be sure that the tray that the roof sits on when its down is in the all the way down position?

Scary - I had this exact same recall and an oil change done on my car back in June.

By the way, there is great info on the UK forum about this (www.z4-forum.com). The guys over there commonly bring the dead motors back to life and relocate them to the trunk where they are much safer. See also https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215892

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 09-04-2019 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

potential other solution

In all likelihood your motor/pump is the issue. In that, since you slightly hear it running when you push top down. It is much easier on the pump when going down. However, you hear nothing when top up is engaged. It is much harder lifting the top (weight & gravity).

Simply washing these cars to often will, over time cause top motor failure. The plastic case in which these motors/pumps are placed aren't really waterproofed and given time water, from simply washing will seep into the case. The motor is wrapped in a sponge which retains the water that gets into the case.

I changed my top motor out using the European thru the trunk method. I didn't have a choice, other than using this method. Pulling the motor this way isn't pleasant.

However, I recently came across a youtube Z4 top repair video in which the guy doing the repair was able to gain access to the Motor/pump by removing a few bolts, the rubber seal and two clips. He then was able to fold the back section of the roof where the window is located up and had total access to the pump area.

Here is the youtube video

At the bottom of this video he included step by step instructions.

Again. I used the tru the trunk method of pulling my motor so I have no hands on with this method. However, this honestly looks like it might actually work. The only area I found a little tuff to understand was removing the clips everything else was straightforward.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
RickS
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0SI

The service writer asked if I wanted the complimentary wash and I declined she said most Z owners do. I told her my top works fine and wanted to keep it that way... little did I know!

"Hail Mary suggestion - I assume that you have checked the little black knobs in the trunk, near the trunklid hinges, to be sure that the tray that the roof sits on when its down is in the all the way down position?"

When I bought the car I read the owns manual and it mentioned those. My top worked fine regardless of the position of those, however I did leave them down.

Well time to start studying up on motor removal options!

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0