ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #23
Ubermensch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: white 07 Z4MC

I'm now thinking about the Pilot Sport A/S Pluses as a replacement for my OEM Contis. We get light snow here so I need at the very least All-Seasons at some point, but I unfortunately don't have a dedicated garage nor room to keep an extra set of wheels. So year-round A/Ses are looking like the way...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #24
16thBMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [7.00]
Thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Rain isn't as much an issue as most, Star Spec, PS2s, Vredesteins, all seem to work fine in the rain. The question is temperature. Extreme Summer Performance tires simply turn into hockey pucks as the temp gets lower. The cutoff rule of thumb is about 40 or below--from there on it's really risky. Many folks with PS2s over on the M3 section found that out, much to their chagrin, last winter. Rain + cold = wreck. For example, I found PS2s to be fine in the rain at 50-60 degrees; same with the Star Specs. But running in colder temps is just asking for trouble based on the sad experience of others. So, are you looking for cold wet weather tire advice or warm wet weather tire advice?
Do you know where the thread is for the M3 folks' problems. I searched the forum and couldn't find it.

Freude am Fahren (ohne Verunfallen)...

Driving: 15th(F25/2017 X3); 16th(E89/2016 35is) BMW's
Retired: 14 BMW's (1968 1600-02, 1972 2002, E30x3, E34, E36x2, E39x2, E46, E83x2, E85)
Current: 8 BMW's in Family
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #25
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Again, I would recommend against that. The Zed loses traction easily without some dedicated winter tires. I just didn't even bother with it after seeing how incredibly horrible my stock tires were. I am still skeptical but some winter tires work very well apparently.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #26
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Rain isn't as much an issue as most, Star Spec, PS2s, Vredesteins, all seem to work fine in the rain. The question is temperature. Extreme Summer Performance tires simply turn into hockey pucks as the temp gets lower. The cutoff rule of thumb is about 40 or below--from there on it's really risky. Many folks with PS2s over on the M3 section found that out, much to their chagrin, last winter. Rain + cold = wreck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14th BMW View Post
Do you know where the thread is for the M3 folks' problems. I searched the forum and couldn't find it.

Freude am Fahren (ohne Verunfallen)...
Here are a few of many....

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...light=PS2+Cold

From TireRack:

"The Pilot Sport PS2 is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

"....Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec summer tires are not intended to be driven through snow, on ice or in near-freezing temperatures."

"Near freezing", from what I can gather, is dry. "Near freezing" when wet means ~40 degree F. But that's not a hard and fast rule, and I'm not saying they're fine at 41 degrees. I think it's safe to say that as the temp decreases grip decreases with this class of tire and rainy/wet conditions exacerbate those problems.

Another thing to note: wider rubber has benefits in dry conditions, but makes the car more prone to hydroplane in wet conditions (think about how a snowshoe works and it makes sense). This is why a true snow tire and winter tire setup will be narrower than stock performance/summer sizes--so the tire cuts through the snow and doesn't snowshoe on top of it. So, a if running stock sizes or plus sizes in the same brand, the stock sizes will perform better in wet conditions than the plus sizes. (That's per my discussion with Tire Rack.)

Caveat: All statements above are given as opinion, not fact, and ultimately we're all responsible for selecting the right tool for the job.

Last edited by Finnegan; 07-16-2010 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0