ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

hating my M.....

i posted a couple of weeks ago that my car had seemingly developed the 'vanos noise issue'.. and that my dealership handed me a bulletin from BMW stating it was a known issue, that is caused no harm to the engine, and that it was acceptable to them and there is no fix. BS.. i don't know if anyone else here has had this issue, but let me tell you... it has taken my favorite car of all-time and turned into something i LOATH to drive. i actually had someone tell me today my car sounded like a diesel! i am giving it another shot next week at another dealer with a head tech i am friends with. if they can't find a solution, the fucking car is GONE! $58,000 car that sounds like a clunker... it's a freaking joke... totally unacceptable. other than trading it in, i see no option. a private sale would be a disaster... there is no way not to notice the noise...RANT!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 ///M COUPE

Garage List
I particularly love the noise. Makes the thing seem so mechanical and raw. Definetly is a known issue though , the only reason you dont hear it in an E46 ///M3 is that they have insulation under the hood and we dont. Also im not sure but i know stock Z4's have a sound pipe into the cabin. But for some reason think the ///M's might have had it blocked.

Man you wanna talk about diesel? GO hear an E9x ///M3 cold start. chug chug chug chug... sounds crasy.

BUt again i love it. Sorry to hear.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bammered View Post
I particularly love the noise. Makes the thing seem so mechanical and raw. Definetly is a known issue though , the only reason you dont hear it in an E46 ///M3 is that they have insulation under the hood and we dont. Also im not sure but i know stock Z4's have a sound pipe into the cabin. But for some reason think the ///M's might have had it blocked.

Man you wanna talk about diesel? GO hear an E9x ///M3 cold start. chug chug chug chug... sounds crasy.

BUt again i love it. Sorry to hear.
the rasp that started i could deal with... the loud 'tapping' is unbearable... i'm not kidding. i pulled up to my coffee shop this morning... the waiter asked 'what the hell was wrong with the car... sounds like a diesel engine???" it came out of nowhere.. all of a sudden the car was making noises it never had before. the 'check engine' light came on tonight ... and the car went into 'limp mode'.... i shut the engine off, then cranked it back over and it went off... i was hoping it would stay on... at least then i'd know there was something the dealer would have to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
onebluemcm
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Doesn't matter if the CEL is not currently on - if it came on the on board diagnostics will have recorded a code that does not go away when the light goes off. Take it in, have them scan it for error codes and see what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
Doesn't matter if the CEL is not currently on - if it came on the on board diagnostics will have recorded a code that does not go away when the light goes off. Take it in, have them scan it for error codes and see what is going on.
will do... thanks. it really sucks... i LOVE this car. have been on the fence about trading kit in... i trade every three years... i was starting to reconsider keeping it for a fourth until now. i barely use the radio... have always loved just listening to the engine and exhaust note.... now i HAVE to turn the radio on to tolerate the noise... no exaggeration... it's down-right embarrassing in daily traffic.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
mike87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

make a video and youtube it? i would like to hear
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoB View Post
will do... thanks. it really sucks... i LOVE this car. have been on the fence about trading kit in... i trade every three years... i was starting to reconsider keeping it for a fourth until now. i barely use the radio... have always loved just listening to the engine and exhaust note.... now i HAVE to turn the radio on to tolerate the noise... no exaggeration... it's down-right embarrassing in daily traffic.
If it is just a tapping sound, then the valves probably need re-shimming. How far from Inspection are you?

I was surprised how noisy my valve tappets had become until I had them re-shimmed at Inspection I, this week. Engine is quieter than I ever remember, now. Also idles smoother and seems to have a bit more power at the top end.

The VANOS rasp should only occur after 3000RPM and before 3500RPM.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bammered View Post
.... Also im not sure but i know stock Z4's have a sound pipe into the cabin. But for some reason think the ///M's might have had it blocked.
The Z4M did not come with a sound generator.
      05-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
If it is just a tapping sound, then the valves probably need re-shimming. How far from Inspection are you?

I was surprised how noisy my valve tappets had become until I had them re-shimmed at Inspection I, this week. Engine is quieter than I ever remember, now. Also idles smoother and seems to have a bit more power at the top end.

^WHS

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 03:50 AM   #10
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
If a check engine light came on, that is definitely not normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 05:39 AM   #11
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post

i just hit 32K... so i have a while.... but i will ask about 're-shimming'.
the rasp happens al the way from 1000-3500 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #12
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike87 View Post
make a video and youtube it? i would like to hear
i'll see what i can do... my iphone has a audio recorder. i just need to see if i can pull the sound clip off it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #13
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Did you see this thread,
camshaft gear bolts loose
and O-cha's & Serious's comments @ posts #9 & #10

It could be the early stages of this same problem.

Are there any good indies in your area, it might be worth the small investment to get another opinion.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #14
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

I haven't had my car for long, but a few days ago I noticed some sounds that match some of the descriptions of your problem, but not all.

I get this weird, almost reedy resonance between 3000-4000 RPM -- seems to happen more when I drive it in the morning than when I take it out for lunch or on the drive home, so I wonder if it's more prone to happening when it's cold. My thinking is that there's something a little loose somewhere, and as the car warms up in the sun it tends to go away.

I don't think there's a tapping or marble-in-can sound, but I would characterize it as a little "raspy." I brought it to the dealer to check out when I got my oil change, but it was in the middle of the day and the noise had gone, so they didn't find anything. They told me to stop by next time it happens and they'll send a tech out on a drive with me. FWIW I also asked them to check the engine mount bolts, and they reported that they were fine.

All the reports of engine-related failures scare the crap out of me. I love the M, despite its idiosyncrasies.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:26 AM   #15
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 M coupe

my car didn't even have any noise and the fucking bolts snapped off.... take apart the vanos and look as the screws on the cam gears, probably loose. my valves were bent. now the valves replace, there is some sound from the engine, but i'm running it in and bmw will adjust some shit. my engine light has been on for over a week... whatever, car is still warranteed and pulling as before... if the engine blows! can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #16
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Did you see this thread,
camshaft gear bolts loose
and O-cha's & Serious's comments @ posts #9 & #10

It could be the early stages of this same problem.

Are there any good indies in your area, it might be worth the small investment to get another opinion.
yes... i pray that is it... so at least they can diagnos the issue, and fix it. but i'm sure i won't get that lucky. i'm going to a different dealer here in boston. one of the head techs is a friend of mine. i am taking everyones comments from this post, making a 'check' list, and bringing it with me to have him look them over and get his take... so thank you everyone that has offered feedback and suggestions. good news is the dealer is a BMW/porsche dealership.... i kid you not, i'll be trading the car in on the spot if they say they can't solve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #17
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
I haven't had my car for long, but a few days ago I noticed some sounds that match some of the descriptions of your problem, but not all.

I get this weird, almost reedy resonance between 3000-4000 RPM -- seems to happen more when I drive it in the morning than when I take it out for lunch or on the drive home, so I wonder if it's more prone to happening when it's cold. My thinking is that there's something a little loose somewhere, and as the car warms up in the sun it tends to go away.

I don't think there's a tapping or marble-in-can sound, but I would characterize it as a little "raspy." I brought it to the dealer to check out when I got my oil change, but it was in the middle of the day and the noise had gone, so they didn't find anything. They told me to stop by next time it happens and they'll send a tech out on a drive with me. FWIW I also asked them to check the engine mount bolts, and they reported that they were fine.

All the reports of engine-related failures scare the crap out of me. I love the M, despite its idiosyncrasies.
That is the normal VANOS sound if it is in the 3-4K range. I have it too.

To the OP- you say the car has 32K on it. Have you had the valves adjusted? Most seem to do it in the 25K range so maybe this would fix your problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #18
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

how do you upload sound clips? i have one now... but can't figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #19
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
yes... i pray that is it... so at least they can diagnos the issue, and fix it. but i'm sure i won't get that lucky. i'm going to a different dealer here in boston. one of the head techs is a friend of mine. i am taking everyones comments from this post, making a 'check' list, and bringing it with me to have him look them over and get his take... so thank you everyone that has offered feedback and suggestions. good news is the dealer is a BMW/porsche dealership.... i kid you not, i'll be trading the car in on the spot if they say they can't solve the issue.
The Boxster S is a nice option for sure....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #20
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
The Boxster S is a nice option for sure....
yes... they have an atlas gray one.. 19" wheels, black interior....here i come!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #21
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
how do you upload sound clips? i have one now... but can't figure it out.
If it's a digital video recording you can upload to photobucket or youtube
Then post the link here.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #22
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

it's a 'm4a' file... youtube doesn't recognize it
Appreciate 0