ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
Naiart
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M

I don’t know how to wash my car

So I took my Z4 to the wand wash where I spent 10 min high pressure soap washing, rinsing and even using the “spot free” rinse and wax. The car came out like utter garbage, salt and dirt stains everywhere. So I wanted to know if I can take my car through the Shell touchless automatic wash. I had really good results with my previous car (hardtop vert). I’ve done a search and the consensus seems to be split between absolutely fine and big no-no. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Try a valet car wash.
You pay a premium but they do a good job.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
Emmrbee
Retired
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiart View Post
So I took my Z4 to the wand wash where I spent 10 min high pressure soap washing, rinsing and even using the "spot free" rinse and wax. The car came out like utter garbage, salt and dirt stains everywhere. So I wanted to know if I can take my car through the Shell touchless automatic wash. I had really good results with my previous car (hardtop vert). I've done a search and the consensus seems to be split between absolutely fine and big no-no. Thanks!
Try washing it by hand, your own hands.

http://www.fw1shine.com/images/FW1-Pack.jpg

This stuff works very well
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I only wash mine by hand using a low pressure hose and a foaming soap dispenser. I'm careful not to direct the water at the roof / body interface, particularly just rear of the door side windows - to avoid flooding the power top motor.

A buddy of mine washed his car with a pressure washer last year and soon after, his top motor died. He is adamant the two are coincidences and not related. Sure.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
mziggy16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '01 911 C4 Cabriolet

I can't comment on the verts, but my move in the winter when it's too cold to wash in my driveway is to spend about 10 minutes slowly power washing the whole car (body, wheels, underside) in a local heated bay, then either:

1. If there's no line, hand wash with my soap and mitt in the bay and then dry with waffle weave towel.

2. If there's a line, drive home (2 miles) wet and use Optimum No Rinse to hand wash and dry the car.

In either case, hand wash.
      12-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #6
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
The thread's title made me LOL. Anyway, I never let anyone wash my car simply because they won't put the same love into it as I would, and I understand why they don't; it's not their car. I'm not saying they wouldn't do a good job, I'm just not willing to pay money for the risk of someone swirling up the paint or flooding the top motor. IF I did allow someone to wash it, it'd be this self employed man that travels throughout Texas. An appointment has to be booked because he's always busy washing exotics and hyper cars, (yes, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Koenigsegg, you name it). Every now and then he'll do M's & AMG's. I am too cheap to pay for paint correction and car wash so I do it all myself. The last paint correction I did was about 2 months ago, took me 18 hours but the car looked flawless. A week later, I washed it again because it rained. I created swirl marks on the hood, should've thrown away the microfiber mitt...

Always start from top to bottom, ALWAYS. And NEVER go to a machine car wash.
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
I'm another one of those - hand-wash only (by my own hand) because I don't trust most others, and don't want to risk bringing it to somebody ignorant or careless.

Have you thought of a ceramic coating? Bring it to somebody (reputable) once for a wash and paint correction, then they apply a coating. It helps keep the car clean, and makes a big difference in cleaning (dirt lifts off easier and I found it was much easier to dry afterwards). With a good coating most washes apparently only need a power washer and a leaf blower.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

I take mine through the touchless. Use to do it by hand and finally got the nerve up to go through one...no issues at all. Mine is just a 2.5 but if it was an M I might worry more.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Self taught detailing expert here- U dont say what color your car is but if its dark its never going to look clean from high pressure wash. Hand wash is the only way, with horizontal strokes only and clean wash buckets. Im in TO too and took my wifes Benz GLK thru a petro canada wash and I thought roof was caving in from brush pressure lol. Touchless wash in emergency or hand only!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #10
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

In between hand washes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiart View Post
So I took my Z4 to the wand wash where I spent 10 min high pressure soap washing, rinsing and even using the “spot free” rinse and wax. The car came out like utter garbage, salt and dirt stains everywhere. So I wanted to know if I can take my car through the Shell touchless automatic wash. I had really good results with my previous car (hardtop vert). I’ve done a search and the consensus seems to be split between absolutely fine and big no-no. Thanks!
https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/...26-26-oz-spray

My beloved Red Roadster doesn't see rain anymore (yes, even though I'm in Seattle)....and I use this product in between hand washes - works as advertised.
      12-15-2018, 05:01 AM   #11
Kazansky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Always by hand, with proper auto shampoo, top to bottom, using 2 buckets (clean and dirty water).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #12
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

If your car is salty/crusty and dry then high power anything can be a disservice since you might just be embedding and/or dragging the particulates into/across your clearcoat (hopefully not the paint). You need to soak and soap that stuff.

Also note that it can be trickier to get a clean rinse and dry in colder weather. Some of what you saw on your car could also be soap residue.

Lots of people take their cars to touchless car washes. Personal preference.
      12-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #13
Diesel_d66
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I only wash mine by hand using a low pressure hose and a foaming soap dispenser. I'm careful not to direct the water at the roof / body interface, particularly just rear of the door side windows - to avoid flooding the power top motor.

A buddy of mine washed his car with a pressure washer last year and soon after, his top motor died. He is adamant the two are coincidences and not related. Sure.
+1. Yup, if you have the roady be very careful about flooding the motor. I learned that the hard way - did the same thing as your buddy, took to high end hand wash place and they killed the motor by using power washers.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 12:57 AM   #14
StigJ
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe & '14 F30

12-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #15
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigJ View Post

Holy sh*t it looks like a herd of elephants jizzed all over your car.

Here's mine...There's a blue car underneath all that creamy white foam somewhere.
Attached Images

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.

Last edited by The HACK; 12-18-2018 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #16
primm907
Private
Rep
Drives: Cayenne GTS

Just a thought, but definitely plan ahead if any kind of new construction is in your future! We finished up a new home build about a year ago. I intentionally designed the garage to be double deep with an 18' foot ceiling, 10' garage door, center drain, and hot/cold faucet. It's VERY handy to have the option of washing cars by hand inside during the winter now. Eventually we'll have the ability to put a lift or two in if desired or even pull in a class B RV. Attached pic shows the handy dandy drain.
Attached Images

M2 - Ordered
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #17
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by primm907 View Post
Just a thought, but definitely plan ahead if any kind of new construction is in your future! We finished up a new home build about a year ago. I intentionally designed the garage to be double deep with an 18' foot ceiling, 10' garage door, center drain, and hot/cold faucet. It's VERY handy to have the option of washing cars by hand inside during the winter now. Eventually we'll have the ability to put a lift or two in if desired or even pull in a class B RV. Attached pic shows the handy dandy drain.
Nicely done!
      01-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #18
abelgonzaleZ4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 SilvrConvert 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigJ View Post
I've always wanted to Power wash my engine bay, but i'm too scared of messing something up.

Are there any components that should be covered up before power washing?

Thanks
Appreciate 0