ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
thielepr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M, 11 M3, 17 230i

Are all exhaust loud?

I got my Z4M earlier this year and I was thinking on putting an exhaust on it but all I’ve seen in YouTube are extremely loud. From Remus, SuperSprint, Stromug, ect eveything seems to crank the volume to 11.

Any options for something better than stock but not loud?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
There's options all over the spectrum depending on what you want.

On the quieter side you have Eisenmann Sport, Stromung, Remus, Supersprint Powerloop.

If you don't want loud you'll want to avoid RPi, Rogue Engineering, Supersprint Race.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
There's options all over the spectrum depending on what you want.

On the quieter side you have Eisenmann Sport, Stromung, Remus, Supersprint Powerloop.

If you don't want loud you'll want to avoid RPi, Rogue Engineering, Supersprint Race.
Agreed. I'm not sure which video the OP had watched, but listening to exhaust loudness on YouTube is very misleading since every microphone used will be normalized, that is, the automatic gain adjustment on the MIC will always try to set the gain to it's maximum level without clipping the sound. So, YouTube is not a good way to judge how loud an exhaust would be in real life.

I've had Remus, Eisenmann Sport, and Supersprint Race on my car and have heard Stromung and RPi in real life.
  • Remus have a nice deep tone, but is barely any louder than stock. Most people don't even noticed the Remus until either me mentioning it or they see the tips.
  • Eisenmann Sport is just slightly louder than Remus. I had to add an RE x-pipe to wake it up a bit and is currently my best setup.
  • Supersprint Race is LOUD and droney. I took it off after only a week with it.
  • Stromung is the next step above Eisenmann Sport. It's almost like the Eisenmann Sport/RE x-pipe combo, but not quite there.
  • RPi is even LOUDER than Supersprint Race, but does sound RACECAR!

So, if you don't like loud exhausts, but wants a deeper tone, then start out with Remus. Then add an RE x-pipe if that isn't enough for you. The Remus and RE x-pipe combo would still be cheaper than an Eisenmann Sport setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #4
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 X3 2.5i, '06 z4M, '17 M2

When making this decision, it is really important to also take into consideration if you will be doing any other exhaust mods (headers, x-pipe) in the future as well.

When I first got my car, I had the RE Diablo exhaust with oem headers and x-pipe. It was loud-ish, nice deep growl with occasional pops and bangs, little drone in low rpm, but no rasp and no where near RPi loud. I was happy! But then... I got euro headers.

The addition of the euro headers made my car near race car loud. While it did sound great when blasting country roads, the drone was nuts (1.5k-3k rpm) and it SUCKED for daily use. So I switched to the stromung exhaust. It is way quieter than the diablos, and IMO compliments the euro headers very well - no rasp, low down growl, pops and bangs when you want them, and only drones between 1900-2100 rpm.

Exhaust choice is like brake pads and oil, everyone has their favorite/preference. Best thing to do is to hear the exhaust in person before buying, otherwise you may end up spending a lot of money chasing what you will ultimately want!

2017 M2 - Camber Hubs, MPE, and some other goodies
2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Eventuri CAI / Euro Headers / Stromung / FA 500 / AS SSK / Arc 8s
2004 Z4 3.0i - Gone, but not forgotten!
Appreciate 1
XMetal1096.50
      11-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jns_e85 View Post
When making this decision, it is really important to also take into consideration if you will be doing any other exhaust mods (headers, x-pipe) in the future as well.

When I first got my car, I had the RE Diablo exhaust with oem headers and x-pipe. It was loud-ish, nice deep growl with occasional pops and bangs, little drone in low rpm, but no rasp and no where near RPi loud. I was happy! But then... I got euro headers.

The addition of the euro headers made my car near race car loud. While it did sound great when blasting country roads, the drone was nuts (1.5k-3k rpm) and it SUCKED for daily use. So I switched to the stromung exhaust. It is way quieter than the diablos, and IMO compliments the euro headers very well - no rasp, low down growl, pops and bangs when you want them, and only drones between 1900-2100 rpm.

Exhaust choice is like brake pads and oil, everyone has their favorite/preference. Best thing to do is to hear the exhaust in person before buying, otherwise you may end up spending a lot of money chasing what you will ultimately want!
Agreed on everything. Unfortunately, these cars are low in numbers and even lower with modifications...so being able to hear it in person would be tough. How do you think I got to muffler option #3 and exhaust option #4?

I would like to add that there's also a difference between the coupe and roadster as well in terms of cabin drone...coupe being more prone to it with the closed cabin.

Last edited by XMetal; 11-14-2019 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #6
VindieselJetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4m

Will add that Stromung is moderate until you add euro headers, then its drone town.

FYI - not sure Remus is available anymore IIRC
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindieselJetta View Post
Will add that Stromung is moderate until you add euro headers, then its drone town.

FYI - not sure Remus is available anymore IIRC
I concur with XMetal.

FWIW Remus is so quiet without headers, x-pipe, and other mods the only reason to do it is to save a bit of weight and get rid of the look of the stock cans while keeping stockish volume and sound.

I've had Eisenmann Sport, Eisenmann Sport + x-pipe, Remus, RPI, Rogue Diablo, Stromung, KKS TI. Out of all those I like the Stromung with remaining parts stock best from a sound and cost perspective. KKS + headers is good too, but not cheap, and I think there's only one set in the US. Eisenmann + x-pipe is about as good, but Stromung is much cheaper than Eisenmann + X-pipe or other combos.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Z4 M Roadster

I have stromungs and it's ever so slightly louder then stock. Any less volume and it wouldn't be noticeable IMO. I added catless headers and now it's properly "modded sports car" loud but not obnoxiously racecar loud. Sounds great and no rasp but it does drone however especially when I have the top closed in my roadster. Top down no problem. Trying to go louder honestly but afraid of more drone
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #9
CaptainCalf
CaptainCalf
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Good info here and just wondering what the OP decided to go with?

Also, does anybody know how much louder the Eisenmann Race mufflers are over their Sport mufflers on an otherwise stock Z4M exhaust system?
      01-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #10
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCalf View Post
Also, does anybody know how much louder the Eisenmann Race mufflers are over their Sport mufflers on an otherwise stock Z4M exhaust system?
Dug up some information off an old thread https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1078199

Looks like there is not a stock-to-stock comparison, instead a Rogue X-Pipe is thrown in the mix. I'd wager a 7-10dB increase from Sport to Race with a shift in tone as well.
Appreciate 0