ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Eson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Z4M Coupe Race Seat Install

Hi fellas,

After much deliberation, I ordered a pair of Brey Krause seat mounts and Sparco Rev II for my M Coupe. I went into this knowing full well that the Sparco's shoulder "wings" would rub the door card, but the interference is much worse...

With the seat properly fastened to the mounts and the mounts properly fastened to the floor, my seats hit the door card so much so that the door can barely close. I've played with the seat's tilt and height, and while it gets better at some angles, it does not alleviate the issue. I refuse to install them offset enough to clear the doors (would rather trim seats than sit off-center), which doesn't leave me with many options.

Someone has to have ran into this issue before. Can someone shed some light on what I can do to remedy this problem? Perhaps I'm overlooking something painfully obvious? Don't think so, but I've been wrong plenty before...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Trim the seat. I've had to do this in other track cars. In my last race car I had to carve out a good sized chunk to clear the cage door bars. Just pull back the fabric and dremel or rasp file the needed amount for clearance.

You want to optimize the seating position, so don't compromise on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
zurus
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: IB M coupe

You need the VAC mounts and sparco seat sliders. The VAC mounts give you the most adjusments and the sliders give you more height so it clears the door card. Without seat sliders my status seats hit the door.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 12:20 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Do your BK mounts reuse the existing oe sliders or did you install without?
      04-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
Eson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
Trim the seat. I've had to do this in other track cars. In my last race car I had to carve out a good sized chunk to clear the cage door bars. Just pull back the fabric and dremel or rasp file the needed amount for clearance.

You want to optimize the seating position, so don't compromise on that.
My thoughts too. How'd you re-attach the seat cover after trimming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurus View Post
You need the VAC mounts and sparco seat sliders. The VAC mounts give you the most adjustments and the sliders give you more height so it clears the door card. Without seat sliders my status seats hit the door.
The only additional adjustability the VAC mount will give me is horizontal adjustability, which I don't want. I'd rather trim the seat than be off-center to the steering wheel. How far above the door cards do your shoulder wings sit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Do your BK mounts reuse the existing oe sliders or did you install without?
I installed without. Although I'm not tall, I didn't want the additional height of the slider. The top holes of the BK mounts were even a little too tall, but still didn't clear the door cards.
Appreciate 0