ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-12-2020, 03:27 AM   #1
Mr. Monday
Rep
Drives: Z4C 3.0si 6mt

Upgrading suspension to be more supple?

I have a 45k mile 3.0si coupe and I find the ride quite harsh. I know that most suspension upgrades improve handling but are there any suspension mods that will improve comfort?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 08:15 AM   #2
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

If youre on old rubber then fresh Michelin Pilots make a world of difference!I was originally on old continentals on my M and they rode like hockey pucks.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Is it still on runflats? Going to "real" tires is a MASSIVE improvement.
      11-12-2020, 08:22 PM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Ditto both of the above.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:25 AM   #5
Mr. Monday
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
If youre on old rubber then fresh Michelin Pilots make a world of difference!I was originally on old continentals on my M and they rode like hockey pucks.
The run-flats are long gone, I'm currently running a set of Ventus V12 Evo2 and I'm pretty happy with them.

Are there any suspension mods that will improve handling with equal comfort?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

With 45k on the clock, the suspension should not be tired. However are the springs/shocks showing any signs of aging?

Perhaps a refresh would be in order.

What size wheels? 19" wheels will produce a harsher ride due to the shorter tire sidewall.

My non M is lowered with poly bushings everywhere and it is not a harsh ride.
Subjective I suppose.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #7
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Bilstein PSS9 coilovers have had some commentary indicating they can add suppleness. I have no personal experience, but they are currently at the top of my list when I get around to that part of things.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 02:39 AM   #8
Mr. Monday
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
With 45k on the clock, the suspension should not be tired. However are the springs/shocks showing any signs of aging?

Perhaps a refresh would be in order.

What size wheels? 19" wheels will produce a harsher ride due to the shorter tire sidewall.

My non M is lowered with poly bushings everywhere and it is not a harsh ride.
Subjective I suppose.
The springs/shocks feel like new. The wheels are the same size as stock and I actually went for tires with more sidewall than stock. The ride isn't that harsh, but if I could improve it I would. The car gets upset by mid-corner bumps and doesn't feel that planted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Bilstein PSS9 coilovers have had some commentary indicating they can add suppleness. I have no personal experience, but they are currently at the top of my list when I get around to that part of things.
Thanks for the suggestion, those look perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 08:55 AM   #9
westunion2007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I just got a Z4C 3.0si as well, and I also found the ride to be quite harsh especially on the long drive home. It's got 77k miles and the PPI did not note any suspension items that were worn out.

I can't tell if it's the early electric power steering or what, but there's a lot of play at speed going over bumps. Not really sure how to describe it -- the previous owner thought it was tramlining, but to me it just feels like the steering is too loose.

And yeah, the bumps are quite jarring compared to my C6.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Suppleness is quite subjective. The e85's short wheelbase will be a bit jittery on undulation during mid-corners. I would ease the gas and progressively throttle-in after the apex. I once spun the rears (was able to recover no probs) when I was early apexing with the 3.0i.

I don't find the e85 a rackety car like a Mitsu EVO or old Miata. If you are experience such harshness, I am wondering if your car was a rebuilt? Chassis compromise due to a major accident will result in all sorts of scuttle and harshness over time.

Taller side wall tires will help with soaking in road imperfection.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #11
Mr. Monday
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westunion2007 View Post
I just got a Z4C 3.0si as well, and I also found the ride to be quite harsh especially on the long drive home. It's got 77k miles and the PPI did not note any suspension items that were worn out.

I can't tell if it's the early electric power steering or what, but there's a lot of play at speed going over bumps. Not really sure how to describe it -- the previous owner thought it was tramlining, but to me it just feels like the steering is too loose.

And yeah, the bumps are quite jarring compared to my C6.
Agreed, I would like to switch to the Z4M hydraulic rack at some point since the steering is pretty vague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Suppleness is quite subjective. The e85's short wheelbase will be a bit jittery on undulation during mid-corners. I would ease the gas and progressively throttle-in after the apex. I once spun the rears (was able to recover no probs) when I was early apexing with the 3.0i.

I don't find the e85 a rackety car like a Mitsu EVO or old Miata. If you are experience such harshness, I am wondering if your car was a rebuilt? Chassis compromise due to a major accident will result in all sorts of scuttle and harshness over time.

Taller side wall tires will help with soaking in road imperfection.
It's not terrible but I'm wondering if it can be improved with better coilovers. We're basically sitting on the rear axle so that can't help.

I am rubbing slightly under high compression since I switched to tires with more sidewall than stock.

Last edited by Mr. Monday; 11-14-2020 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 07:41 PM   #12
meh92
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Roadster

Simply ditching the run-flats and installing Michelin PS 4S tires really made a difference in comfort on my '07 3.0si.
Appreciate 0