ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-17-2019, 05:23 AM   #1
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

SuperSprint Stepped Catted Section 1 vs Stepped Straight Pipe

SuperSprint Stepped Catted Section 1 vs Stepped Straight Pipe

I've been collecting exhaust parts for a near future upgrade. I have Super Sprint powerloop mufflers.

I am leaning toward the Stepped v1 Headers.

The catteds section 1 is very expensive. I am considering the straight pipe section 1.

How much louder would the straight pipe super sprint section 1 be over the catted section 1 with PowerLoop mufflers?

I believe it would also emit a fair amount of "unburnt fuel" smell. I kinda like that smell

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
Eamonn
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Hey bud, I've got the uncatted straight section 1. Freaking amazing. Go for it.
      08-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hey Vanne,

Thanks for the reply.

How much louder is the non catted Section 1 vs the SuperSprint catted Section 1?

I am assuming a Tune is a must given that even if the 02 sensors were installed, they would throw a CEL light.

I have Super Sprint Powerloop mufflers (not installed, part of the kit I am collecting).

I don't have much experience with this kinda stuff. It's my daily driver and track car, don't want it to be obnoxiously loud.

Cheers,
Eamonn
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, 550i, X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman51 View Post
Hey Vanne,

Thanks for the reply.

How much louder is the non catted Section 1 vs the SuperSprint catted Section 1?

I am assuming a Tune is a must given that even if the 02 sensors were installed, they would throw a CEL light.

Cheers,
Eamonn
You will definitely need a tune to pass emissions if you run catless headers and straight section 1. And you need to your due diligence with tuning as some just prevent the CEL from appearing but it may still throw codes that would prevent you from passing emissions (or OBD monitors not ready).. Only way to pass w/o tuning is you run catted section 1 with proper bungs for rear o2 sensors.

How much louder isn’t easy to answer, depends on what the rest of your exhaust consists of, which is likely different from what Vanne ran. Also Vanne has a coupe so that’s going to be a factor. I find the roadster introduces more cabin noise with the soft top. The hard top on e85 actually makes a noticeable difference and more on par with the coupe if not quieter since the soft top folded down acts as a sound barrier imo.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 08-18-2019 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'm lucky in that we no longer have an emissions check program here (Vancouver, Canada). I'm mostly concerned about volume and drone. I have been tracking the car a fair bit, and plan to do more, but it's still my daily driver.

I was planning to use Epic Motorsports for the tune. From everything I can gather and some brief discussions with Randy he's super knowledgable.

Any idea how much louder the Super Sprint straight pipe section 1 vs the Super Sprint catted section 1?

Is the unburt fuel smell tolerable? (I personally kinda like the smell).

Cheers,
Eamonn
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, 550i, X3

Garage List
Quote:
I'm lucky in that we no longer have an emissions check program here (Vancouver, Canada). I'm mostly concerned about volume and drone. I have been tracking the car a fair bit, and plan to do more, but it's still my daily driver.

Cheers,
Eamonn
So then what was your question in reference to when asking if a tune is needed even if one runs o2 sensors?

Quote:
Hey Vanne,

Cheers,
Eamonn
      08-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
So then what was your question in reference to when asking if a tune is needed even if one runs o2 sensors?
Hehe this is where my cluelessness kicks in

I assume that with a catted section 1 and O2 sensors, you could avoid a SES light, and possibly other engine codes (even with a high flow cat setup).

With a non-catted sectrion 1 and O2 sensors, there would be no way to avoid a SES light, and possibly other engine codes, because the sensor readings would be out of spec.

It's not so much a concern for emissions testing, as it is not wanting to drive around in acar with SES lit up and fault codes being generated.

I want a tune to get the most out of the chagnes to the exhaust, but with a non-catted Section 1, I would need a tune with rear O2 monitoring disabled to avoid engine codeds and an SES light.

Hopefully that makes (some) sense

Cheers,
Eamonn
Appreciate 0