ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-12-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Rear Lower Control Arm Replacement

Going to have a go at this *BIATCH* and I hear it's a bit of a pain in the arse crack....... especially the drivers side due to the diff. There seems to be NOTHING documenting the labourious nitemare. I will try and see what I can post up and take some pictures.

I will be doing this in my garage (no lift) with DIY-er tools........ laying on my back..... likely cursing.

IF anyone has found a good resource for this job, please do link it. I'm going to have a look at the BMW E46 forums this evening to see if there is anything.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #2
AK72
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 m Coupe

this should help
https://blog.bavauto.com/14044/bmw-e...ll-how-to-diy/
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The driver's side looks to be a real bear on the Z4M. The diff on these cars is setup differently than the e46 3-series, although I still want to check the E46 M3. they keep talking about "jimmy-ing" up the diff after loosening up the two top bolts and removing the third if memory serves me right. On our Z4M there looks to be a bolt to the subframe on the passenger side at the front and two higher up on the rear. That front one does not look easy to access either.

And from eye-balling it, even if the diff was loosened up, there doesn't look to be enough vertical to push it up to give room to remove that driver's side bolt in the lower camber arm as there's subframe up there in the way.

I've also heard about loosening up the diff and with a pry bar, moving it towards the back of the car. I assume that means the driveshaft has to be released and the diff moved backward on a jack. But I don't know.

I'm still digging through this and not seeing the light yet without taking a LOT of parts down. There has to be an easier way or the designer needs to be shot.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #4
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Spent another hour or so poking around the internet and "sleeping" under the car looking up at this setup. The driver's side diff mounting bolt on the back....... even if the entire diff was loose, has barely a finger width of play to move upwards. So I don't think that this is possible like is done on the E46 cars. The only thing I can think of now is side to side play but I still don't believe there is going to be enough room to get those bolts out.

I'm sadly believing the diff may have to come out........ but I don't want to believe it. I wish someone could chime in here that's been down this road and advise. It has to have been done of course as people have aftermarket lower control arms........ but I just can't find any instruction anywhere on the install.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Spent another hour or so poking around the internet and "sleeping" under the car looking up at this setup. The driver's side diff mounting bolt on the back....... even if the entire diff was loose, has barely a finger width of play to move upwards. So I don't think that this is possible like is done on the E46 cars. The only thing I can think of now is side to side play but I still don't believe there is going to be enough room to get those bolts out.

I'm sadly believing the diff may have to come out........ but I don't want to believe it. I wish someone could chime in here that's been down this road and advise. It has to have been done of course as people have aftermarket lower control arms........ but I just can't find any instruction anywhere on the install.
I just put in new arms but I had the subframe out to do it. I am pretty sure you can replace the arms without fully removing the diff. You would need to at least at remove all three bolts holding the diff and also the bolts for the drive shaft to the diff. This should allow you to slide the diff back and tilt it down a bit to the left or right. It will be tight but I think you can get the bolt out then. At this point you're only the 12 torx bolts away from just disconnecting the axles and just removing the diff fully which might just be easier.

The front bolt on the diff is easy to get to and so are the rears when the exhaust is removed. Just make sure you have a ratcheting 12 point wrench for rear diff bolts. They are a external torx but the space is tight so you use the torx socket to break the bolt loose then a ratcheting 12 point to get them fully out.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 1
Vanne1620.50
      07-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Ok, how about some pictures!! Everyone likes pictures.

First Picture:

Wheels off, exhaust removed, heat shielding down and all the other junk as shown. Blue arrows sort of point out where to look for the diff mounting points. Two on the top back and one on the passenger front.

Red arrows note the passenger side rear lower control arm mounting points.

Yellow arrows note the two upper exhaust bolts that will make you want to kill yourself. More on that..... next
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #7
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

picture 1 that didn't attach.

Also looks to be some sort of leakage/spray off the driveshaft onto the fuel tanks that I need to look closer at to see where that is coming from........ both sides.
Attached Images

Last edited by tominizer; 07-15-2020 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Picture #2

This little guy I used to remove the top exhaust bolts that are painful to get to (yellow arrows on the previous picture). Just slip him over and hold it there as it will not turn eventually as it presses up against the exhaust wall/flange area and Bob's your uncle
Attached Images

Last edited by tominizer; 07-15-2020 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 2
Finnegan701.00
kaybat125.50
      07-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Another look at the control arm pointing out the attachment points with red arrows.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #10
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

This is a shot of the worst part of this. The bolt attaching the control arm to the subframe on the driver's side. Red arrow is points to the bolt and the yellow star is the tiny gap you are left with to remove this bolt. There is absolutely no room. This is why I've had to pull everything down on the back end on this car making what should be a 20 min job into a huge marital affair.

The passenger side is a bit better but still a problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #11
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Here's where I'm at right now. I'm going to remove the two upper bolts on the back of the diff and the one bolt of the front passenger side. Then disconnect the main drive shaft from the diff in hopes of being able to move the diff backwards enough.

A few things to note here. A socket and wrench do not fit to get those rear upper diff bolts out as there is a subframe support wall just behind the diff and makes the gap too narrow (see yellow arrows). F360C's notes above are 100% correct. I got the first one out using an 11mm ratcheting wrench. Second guy on the drivers side is not cooperating and I don't want to strip the head off. So off to the tool store to look for options.

Anyways, hopefully heading in the right direction here. What a stupid pain in the arse.

And on a funny/sad note, wish I had the $5K CAN to do the 4.10 diff while I'm in here. Such a tease. Sucks to be poor.

BTW, not sure why there's a red-ish tint to my pictures. I live in Canada and not the red sands. Also you'll note that the underside of my ride is NOT pristine. She's a driver, not a princess !!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #12
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

tominizer check the boots on the halfshafts. That "spray" on the tanks may be the start of those deteriorating/cracking and flinging the internal bearing grease.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #13
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

If anything, coming off the main driveshaft, not the halfshalfs. I'm seeing it (as in picture #1) forward of the diff. So this diff may have to come down at the end of the day regardless.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 12:39 AM   #14
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's where I'm at right now. I'm going to remove the two upper bolts on the back of the diff and the one bolt of the front passenger side. Then disconnect the main drive shaft from the diff in hopes of being able to move the diff backwards enough.

A few things to note here. A socket and wrench do not fit to get those rear upper diff bolts out as there is a subframe support wall just behind the diff and makes the gap too narrow (see yellow arrows). F360C's notes above are 100% correct. I got the first one out using an 11mm ratcheting wrench. Second guy on the drivers side is not cooperating and I don't want to strip the head off. So off to the tool store to look for options.

Anyways, hopefully heading in the right direction here. What a stupid pain in the arse.

And on a funny/sad note, wish I had the $5K CAN to do the 4.10 diff while I'm in here. Such a tease. Sucks to be poor.

BTW, not sure why there's a red-ish tint to my pictures. I live in Canada and not the red sands. Also you'll note that the underside of my ride is NOT pristine. She's a driver, not a princess !!
I forgot to add... Its not the norm but I usually take the exhaust off as one piece. I unbolt it at the headers and remove the exhaust with the hangers stil attached. I do this because I find it easier to get to the front 4 bolts that hold the exhaust to the headers then trying to get to that bitch of a bolt on top of the xpipe. Also since I leave the exhaust hangers on the exhaust I dont have to mess with realigning the exhaust tips when I reinstall the cans.

As far as getting the one diff bolt out.. I cant see if its hitting the frame of the car or the sway bar? If its the frame you might be able to loosen the bolts for the subframe and slide it down a bit. I think you could get it down a 1/4 inch with out fully removing the bolts

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 2
kaybat125.50
      07-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #15
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
I forgot to add... Its not the norm but I usually take the exhaust off as one piece.
^^^^ This. I didn't really read up on the "right" way to drop it, but those bolts in the center looked like too much trouble so I just dropped the whole works. Although I chose to leave the mufflers hanging in place; I thought it was easier to reattach the pipes at that point rather than undo/redo the hanger bolts.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #16
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Job is done and the lower adjustable control arms are in. A few notes:

• That bolt on top of the exhaust x-pipe area is not too bad to get undone if you use that piece of tool I showed earlier. I took the exhaust down from the x-pipe back to the tips.
  • The main drive shaft has to be unbolted at the diff.... 6 bolts.
  • The diff has to be unbolted completely from the subframe in all 3 places and the bolts taken right out so you can shift it backwards. Use a nice thick and long flathead screw-driver to prop up the diff on the subframe when removing these bolts as that diff is heavy.
  • The chassis reinforcement bars and plates all have to come out. They just all get in the way. I left the driver's side in as a safety for that loose diff but it just got in the way. So out came the 2x6 lumber with a jack as needed.

All the above makes access to all the necessary lower control arm hardware really easy to get at AND...................passenger side bolt comes out super easy.

BUT the driver's side is still a biatch. It does come out but you have to play with it a lot (or a little if you get lucky). Diff has to be moved right back up against the body/sway bar and jostled left and right a bit. Eventually you will get there. BUT, you will want to kill the dumb-arse F*ker that designed this thing. This should be a 20 min job from wheels on the ground to finish. It's absolutely insane that this much work has to be done to get this done.

On another note, I was unable to find any documentation on this job ANYWHERE for the Z4M. So I hope that what I've posted here does help someone and let me know if I left anything out or more info is needed somewhere. This wasn't a precise walk-thru with a tools list, etc..... that I know. But reality is that it's do-able but you may hate it. And ALWAYS when working under your car, think SAFETY FIRST. I had redundant jackstands and always thought through thoroughly about what I was going to do before grabbing tools. Car isn't worth your life or getting badly hurt over. And also, if you car is anything like mine, a pile of crap falls of the underside, so wear some protective glasses !! Anyways, have fun. DIY-ing brings a lot of satisfaction to ownership........ even if you break shit once in a while !!

Last edited by tominizer; 07-16-2020 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 3
wdb4716.50
Finnegan701.00
e46IX108.50
      07-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #17
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Nice work! Glad to hear you succeeded.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 06:02 PM   #18
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

How many hours would you say this took?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #19
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJW2OO4 View Post
How many hours would you say this took?
Depends... i would say if your decently mechanically inclined and its your first time doing its probably about 4 hours after the car is on jack stands. I could probably do it in 2.5 now.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #20
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Quote:
Also looks to be some sort of leakage/spray off the driveshaft onto the fuel tanks that I need to look closer at to see where that is coming from........ both sides.
The rearmost driveshaft joint is a constant velocity joint. There is a gasket that is supposed to keep the grease for that joint in place. It doesn't do a great job. I replaced the one on my car, so far so good. My diff input shaft seal was also leaking, seeping is more like it. That did not fling anything around.
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      07-19-2020, 09:46 AM   #21
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

wanna come over and do mine? but when you get here, were just gonna drop the whole subframe, i recon thats way easier that what you did

beers on me