ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Garage List
Question Coilovers Ordered; Requesting Advice

I finally pulled the trigger on a set of coilovers, something I wish I had done a while back, but better late then never.

I plan on replacing the rear shock mounts with an upgraded set from ECS that come with reinforcement plates, as well as new OEM front strut mounts.

Is there anything else related to the install that I should consider replacing that would be be helpful or make the install easier?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
These are the items I'm planning on replacing; anything you think would be unnecessary? Anything I'm overlooking?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 12:24 AM   #3
CTMP4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4MC, '71 240Z with S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion_2 View Post
I finally pulled the trigger on a set of coilovers, something I wish I had done a while back, but better late then never.

I plan on replacing the rear shock mounts with an upgraded set from ECS that come with reinforcement plates, as well as new OEM front strut mounts.

Is there anything else related to the install that I should consider replacing that would be be helpful or make the install easier?

Cheers!
If you aren't planning to track the car and don't need extra camber / caster adjustability, what you have planned is great - keep the OEM quietness, drop the ride height using the coilovers. Get the rubber RSMs (IIRC "e30 convertible spec" as Bimmerworld calls them), they're quiet.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 12:54 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Looks good if you're not going in for front camber plates. I just installed a set of Bilstein B6s and the list was essentially the same. The only thing I added was an E36 bolt/camber washer kit (15 bucks) which lets you get -.1.5 —2.5 up front without camber plates.

You'll lose a bit of clearance between strut and wheel/tire, but unless you're running 255s or 265s up front it's unlikely you'll experience rubbing on the springs, strut, or spring perches. And it's easy enough to check before torquing everything to spec.

Running very little toe-in (or zero toe) sharpens the turn in and reduces understeer without eating tires. Not for everyone but I like it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 07:28 AM   #5
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Looks good if you're not going in for front camber plates. I just installed a set of Bilstein B6s and the list was essentially the same. The only thing I added was an E36 bolt/camber washer kit (15 bucks) which lets you get -.1.5 —2.5 up front without camber plates.

You'll lose a bit of clearance between strut and wheel/tire, but unless you're running 255s or 265s up front it's unlikely you'll experience rubbing on the springs, strut, or spring perches. And it's easy enough to check before torquing everything to spec.

Running very little toe-in (or zero toe) sharpens the turn in and reduces understeer without eating tires. Not for everyone but I like it.
Do you have a link for where you sourced the kit? I considered an adjustable set of camber plates, but don't track hard enough to justify the extra cost, just once or twice a year on average.

My stock shocks/springs were just toast and needed replaced, anyway, so I figure might well get the H&R coilovers since they barely cost more than replacing with all OEM parts, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Disregard Finnegan I tracked them down on ECS. Just ordered the bolts along with all the replacement pads/mounds/perches/etc. Coilovers finally shipped, so hopefully I’ll be able to get them out on here in about two weeks!

Thanks for all the input everyone, I’m definitely looking forward to having a refreshed suspension, and a bit of drop will of course be a nice bonus. ��
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00