ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-15-2024, 09:15 PM   #1
z4-06-e85-driver
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2006 3.0si Roadster

Coilovers back to OEM

Hey, I have a few questions on returning to OEM shocks on my Z4. Before I knew what I was doing, my car had OEM shocks that were falling apart. Not having enough money to go BMW route i chose to work through a guy i know who worked on BMW’s. The guy ended up scaming me for cheap coilovers that are NOT damper adjustable. The current ride quality is very stiff and uncomfortable. I contacted BMW to go back to OEM but some of the parts they needed were out of stock and I could not buy OEM parts from them and it could not be done. I also cannot find a complete list for strut front/rear assembly components with OEM part numbers. If someone could provide that it would help a ton. I also dont see any full shock/spring/dust boot/mount/bump stop kit. I cannot afford expensive coilovers with damper adjusters and also cannot afford to go through BMW as i wanted to install the OEM suspension myself to save money. I am open to any suggestions on how to soften the unbearable ride. I do not want to sell the car because i really love it. Im not sure what to do, some help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:09 AM   #2
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2024, 01:55 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Go to rock auto. They should have Monroe’s OEM premium stuff ($) that for dirt cheap. It should be as good as factory original, just don’t know if they’ll last as long. Alternatively you can see if Bilstein offers a B4 ($$) or B6 ($$$) application.
      01-19-2024, 02:40 AM   #4
Coi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M40i, 07 Z4MR

Here are the pages you need from realoem.

Front suspension:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0648

Rear suspension:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_1143

All you probably need are shocks, springs, and bump stops. Can try to buy springs from a junkyard or dismantler with a crashed 3.0si (unless the rear springs have the same cracking issue as the Z4M then might want to go with new).

It's very likely that whatever is on your car retained the stock front top hat and stock rear shock mount. Probably uses stock spring pads in the rear too. Might be a good idea to replace some of those parts anyway because they're cheap and fresh ones will increase ride comfort. Go with Lemforder instead of BMW OEM on any parts you can. Lots of options for upgraded rear shock mounts like Bimmerworld (OEM design fails quickly). Would be best to jack up the car and take the wheel off to check what's still OEM and what's in good shape before ordering parts.

Rather than OEM dampers you can get Bilsteins for the 3.0si. There's a very reasonable B4 set that's close to OEM with the part num 22-164568KT. If you want an upgrade to a slightly sportier and better damper can get the B6 but those are quite a bit more expensive. May be worth it for a 3.0si though. I would not recommend the B8 or lowering springs because ride quality and comfort are major priorities for you.
Appreciate 1