ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #45
Nitzujay
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbored View Post
I'm wondering if there is anyone withing the Washington DC area that may want to assist or meet up or anything really.
I'm in the DMV area with a broken top, two hands, and some tools.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #46
Donkman
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4

Garage List
I am trying to find the 2008-2014 correct Ford convertible Assemble.
Will this one work? HB80068-005D
https://www.ebay.com/itm/08-14-FORD-...QAAOSwEPBdg4ol

Last edited by Donkman; 09-22-2019 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: added link
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #47
Donkman
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkman View Post
I am trying to find the 2008-2014 correct Ford convertible Assemble.
Will this one work? HB80068-005D
https://www.ebay.com/itm/08-14-FORD-...QAAOSwEPBdg4ol
Can anyone help with what I need??
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #48
mas3423
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Great find! I am in the processing of sourcing one of these motors/pumps. This might be a dumb question, do they come with fluid already in the tank, or do we have to add it? The one I found, is missing the hydraulic line bolts and the tank looks empty. They are asking $125 for this.

19" Beyern Mesh Wheels / Dinan Exhaust / Dinan Stage 2 Software / AFE Intake / Umnitza LED License Plate Bulbs / Apexcone 3000k HID Fogs / Yellow Laminex / ZHP Short Shift Knob / Color Matched Stubby Antenna / 35% Tint / Valentine One Radar Detector
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #49
golfmanpat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadaclue View Post
I just finished up my roof top motor relocation this weekend as well, I utilized the Ford Mustang motor/pump assembly too.
I'm attaching pictures of the pump assembly I used in case it helps other people out. I received the assembly with some of the wiring attached, including a disconnect so I reused that as well.

Some basic info on the pump I used:
  • Purchased for $180 off ebay.
  • It was listed being for 2008-2014 Ford Mustang.
  • Made by Hoerbiger (same as the Z4).
  • Pump assembly showed part numbers S109024 and HB80069-002P.
  • Electric motor shows part numbers 3M5042, 1090069, and HB80006-019C.
  • For wiring, Mustang red to BMW green/grey and Mustang yellow to BMW blue/grey.
  • The banjo bolts on the mustang pump are the same size as the BMW, however the inlet/outlets are on the opposite side. Meaning the holes in the bolts are on the bottom when screwed in instead of the top. I'm not sure if this matters but I reused the BMW bolts just in case.
  • The pump outlets were labeled 11/13 on one and 12/14. This runs backwards from BMW's setup! I initially plumbed it per the numbering on the pump and it ran in reverse, the open button closed and vice versa. So I had to switch the hydraulic lines so the 11/13 were attached to the pump at 12/14 position, and the bmw lines 12/14 were at the 11/13 position on the pump. Once done, it runs correctly.

I also did not notch the plastic, but used a 1.5" circular saw drill bit to drill a hole in the plastic to the left of the storage shelf, there's a picture below showing the location I put it in. Then the wires and hydraulic lines were easy to run and I zip tied the pump to the grounding spot on the left side of the trunk. Be sure the hydraulic lines are on the top as I'm fairly certain the pump pickup for the hydraulic fluid is on the opposite side.
Does this still give the manual override option?
Appreciate 1
Foo0.00
      09-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #50
golfmanpat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtercoffee View Post
Replaced the motor with the ford mustang motor, and it works!!! I've never been so happy. The new motor is a lot faster than stock!

One of hydraulic lines was a bit short, it just barely accommodates moving the motor to the trunk. I can see why Jack made the strain relief now. Instead of having that line do a turn at the metal outlet, I bent the metal so the line goes straight out.

The mustang motor tip was amazing. Also putting the C channel back in was easy once I removed the aluminum clips. Putting the weather stripping back in was much easier than taking it out. Thanks so, so much Jack!
Do you still get the manual override option with the Mustang motor?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 08:44 AM   #51
FigureItOut
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmanpat View Post
Do you still get the manual override option with the Mustang motor?
The mustang pump alternative does not include a manual bypass valve. Once you plumb the new pump in your top will either function or remain static, no manually wrestling it into place.

Because of this it's wise to have the top in partially open state when you do your initial function testing. This will give you a fighting chance to avoid getting it stuck in fully open or fully closed condition if you plumbed it up wrong.
Appreciate 0