ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-25-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
mcaden
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Roll Bar Pictures Z4 M Coupe

I don't think the prior owner ever posted pictures of the roll bar installed in my 2007 Z4 M Coupe. It was fabricated and installed in 2008 by Piper Motorsports in Sterling, Virginia. The prior owner requested an X-roll bar without interior alterations.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
CTMP4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4MC, '71 240Z with S54

Not tying the cage to the rear shock towers seems like a missed opportunity to reinforce them and maybe run a rear coilover setup.

The Classic Car Club of Manhattan Z4MC has a nice cage design: https://classiccarclubmanhattan.com/...o-part-review/

as does this example: https://www.panjo.com/buy/2006-bmw-z...ack-car-346814.

Both of these have been around for a while and have build threads as near-top results when you image search for caged Z4M coupes.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMP4me View Post
Not tying the cage to the rear shock towers seems like a missed opportunity to reinforce them and maybe run a rear coilover setup.
The shock tower is not structural and should not be used as a mount point for the down bars unless it is reinforced and tied into the frame rail. Most I have seen fail to do this, including the second car you reference. Putting a cap on the shock tower does not make it a structural point on the chassis.

There's no benefit to running coilover rear shocks on a Z4MC. An adjustable articulating perch for the spring is all you need.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
mcaden
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

@Michael9218 is correct, which is why the rear mounting points of my roll bar are attached the rear frame rails.

Note also - it is a roll bar and not a cage.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: red z4

is the center console still usable on this setup? I am contemplating getting a roll bar, but do not want to start cutting up the interior pieces. I thought you had mentioned that the owner didn't want the interior altered, was it you who put the forward braces through the center rear storage?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 11:02 PM   #6
CTMP4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4MC, '71 240Z with S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rueyme View Post
is the center console still usable on this setup? I am contemplating getting a roll bar, but do not want to start cutting up the interior pieces. I thought you had mentioned that the owner didn't want the interior altered, was it you who put the forward braces through the center rear storage?
Unless you run the seat suuuper far forward, you won't have enough room for the harness bar portion of the roll bar without losing the between-seat storage. IIRC inTgr8r ran a version of his harness setup where the anchors for the clips bolted through the bulkhead behind seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 08:48 PM   #7
lelandr
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, E30M3, E90330i, Z3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
The shock tower is not structural and should not be used as a mount point for the down bars unless it is reinforced and tied into the frame rail. Most I have seen fail to do this, including the second car you reference. Putting a cap on the shock tower does not make it a structural point on the chassis.

There's no benefit to running coilover rear shocks on a Z4MC. An adjustable articulating perch for the spring is all you need.
You have to admit that it's better than that bolt in monstrosity in my car.

I think that people think that just because you want to reinforce the pickup points that it is structural. One must remember, that it is the springs, not the shocks which support the weight of the car.
Appreciate 0