ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
hammerhead
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

Shipping a Z4M

Has anyone here ever had a car shipped? Is there anything that I need to look out for when shipping a Z4? It's being shipped by a dealership, and the transit time I was told will be 7-8 days (do they make stops along the way?). TIA.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
I purchased my Z4 four months ago in Michigan and had it shipped to Florida, No Issues. Find out the name of the shipper that the dealer is going to use and see if they are listed at www.transportreviews.com .
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
hammerhead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetMan View Post
I purchased my Z4 four months ago in Michigan and had it shipped to Florida, No Issues. Find out the name of the shipper that the dealer is going to use and see if they are listed at www.transportreviews.com .
Cool, thanks MetMan, I definitely will get the name. How long was the transit time?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Three days from Farmington Hills to Jacksonville. I was lucky in that I was the first drop off once they reached Florida. Is dealer picking up the tab for shipping?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
hammerhead
Private
Rep

No, I'm paying for shipping.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Where is the car coming from? Going to? As a reference, shipper wanted $750 to go about 850 miles. I negotiated $650.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
hammerhead
Private
Rep

California to Illinois, and it's taking 8 days. Should I be concerned about the long transit time?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Boulder z4m
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC,'64Vette,'16 991 GTS

I used Fed Ex to ship my car from Wash DC to Colorado. Fed Ex is a known entity which calmed concerns I had about entrusting care of my coupe during transport. I was extremely pleased with the service I received. Covered transport with a vertical lift system which eliminated worries about scraping the front end of my car while off loading. I was quoted $1300 and paid $1200.

Randy Davis was the Fed Ex Truck Driver who transported my vehicle. He understands our passion with cars.

Randy's cell number is 314-409-1583...I believe you can schedule through their main switchboard @ 800-325-4267.

Feel free to tell Randy that Todd from CO recommended them. I will be using them again once I locate a Z8 to my liking.

Todd
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
hammerhead
Private
Rep

Thanks Boulder. I will certainly use your contact in the future, if I have another one shipped. Unfortunately this one is already en route.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
hammerhead
Private
Rep

LOL - sorry Todd, just noticed that you had typed your name at the bottom of your post!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

I have shipped several cars including two BMWs across the country. I can state with certainty that a covered car carrier is the way to go. Also, you'l want to pre-install the tow hooks front and rear to use as tie-downs during transit. Make sure to get your tow hooks back as they are not inexpensive to replace. i recommend removing any portable electronics such as radar detectors or ipods from the car and photographing the car prior to loading for insurance purposes.

good luck!

regards
rob
Appreciate 2
      09-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
hammerhead
Private
Rep

Thanks Rob,

Fortunately I did happen to take a few pictures of the car before it was loaded. It should arrive by Tuesday or Wednesday, and I'll give you an update when the car arrives.

One other question that comes to mind - should I have a mechanic accompany me when the car arrives and is unloaded, in order to have the car fully inspected prior to my signing and releasing the driver? I understand that once the car is turned over to me, the shipping company is no longer responsible for anything that may have happened to the car. Is there any risk of major components or mechanicals being swapped out? Or, is this an unfounded concern?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #13
GregMiller
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4

Angry Shipping car from New Mexico to LA! SOS

Anyone have any recommendations for shipping your car across the country? I don't mind paying extra to have it enclosed. My last experience shipping a car was HORRIBLE. I paid money to the director of this company and they promised me to send my new beautiful car in 2-3 days with no problems cause they ate a cake on this topic. But as u can understand by my impression of this "company" they didn't answer the phone and no one hadn't pick up my car from the ex owner. And that was really good for me , that i still had my car . After that, in a few weeks they called me back and gave me some sob story about how they were actually losing money on the deal.And the company was closed and they lose all contacts. But it was 3 weeks ago and i just asked them to give me back money. Nevertheless the problem is still on.
There must be a better way?? I was planning on just doing the drive after my last experience but I'd at least like to know if there are some better alternatives out there? Car needs to go from New Mexico to Los Angeles.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #14
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I've shipped cars twice, and had issues both times. BE CAREFUL WHO YOU HIRE! If the price is low, there's a reason for it.

Suggestion: Use EAG (yes, THAT EAG) as broker and let them handle the whole thing. They offer this service now that they've been shipping cars around the country for 20+ years. They have the contacts and know what they're doing. I shipped my Z4MC home from New Jersey 2 years ago and they were fantastic to work with.
      10-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #15
GeorgeDouglass
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Hey. I have work experience with some companies and almost everywhere similar principle. There are many factors that we should take into consideration. Look at this site I think that help you. And more detail right here https://www.shipvehicles.com/

And, if you wanna know more, just ask me
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #16
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List

I have now shipped three cars - twice with a broker and once with a carrier. Use the carrier if you want to skip the headache and extended timelines, most prices are slightly negotiable but don't expect the lowest bidder to be excellent.
Appreciate 0