ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: red z4

Getting the z4mc back from carbahn after the new year

I haven't posted in ages since the car has been a work in progress but it looks like I finally will be able to enjoy the car with my track setup to hopefully keep up with some of the modern gt3 class cars.

Steve dinan's motor builder been working on it the past month to build the stroker and heads. I was supposed to post pics but I thought it would be done sooner since they had their shop working on their own team cars so it's been there since sept. I never thought the wait would feel so long for this.

Il post the specs on this build when it we get it on the dyno for tuning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
3798j11350.50
pyshin110.50
      12-30-2019, 04:19 AM   #2
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Can't wait, his outfit makes one helluva motor! Squeaky clean Z32 and BMW wagon in the background, gotta love the temperate CA climate...
Appreciate 1
Lucky1647.00
      12-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Awesome!
The aero bits look fantastic; tell us about the brakes....and it appears the hubs are upgrades as well??
      12-30-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Wow, I'd love to hear more about this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 11:23 AM   #5
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Awesome!
The aero bits look fantastic; tell us about the brakes....and it appears the hubs are upgrades as well??
Thanks. The brakes are stop tech trophy line front and rear. The size in front are 380mm and355mm in the rear. They came with 2 piece rotor assemblies slotted and zinc plated.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Wow, I'd love to hear more about this car.
Thanks I will have it back around the middle of jan so I'll start posting results and things I learned about this project.
Appreciate 1
Rekla105.00
      01-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #7
cbecker33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

What are the side splitters/skirts?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:29 AM   #8
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbecker33 View Post
What are the side splitters/skirts?
They are Agt. A set are on sale on ebay here

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F28 2719907517
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #9
cbecker33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rueyme View Post
They are Agt. A set are on sale on ebay here

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282719907517
Bad link.

The CF ones? http://agtstyling.com/index.php/onli...-skirts-detail
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:15 PM   #10
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbecker33 View Post
Yes. I used the share link from ebay and it wasn't working. It is also for sale there for 350usd a pair.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #11
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

Got the car back yesterday after some minor delays getting the csl style airbox installed due to connectors not fitting or the proper ones missing. I was supposed to have a dyno tune right after but Steve Dinan heard my plans and told me I should break the engine in and have the oil changed before I run it that hard on the dyno. One thing not complete is the airbox didnt allow me to retain the existing strut bar I had since the box sits too high and hits the bar, so I'm looking for a suitable one or maybe need to find a better csl style box

Basically on break in period for the next month before I can see the output the configuration is doing.

I must say I was quite pleased working with Carbahn on this build and I will look forward to working with them again if i ever do another build again. Steve Dinan is a really passionate guy about his cars and the work their shop does. Cant say I've ever had so much confidence and comfort in having my car in any builder shop like I did here.

Here's what Carbahn had done for my engine:

Installed 97mm stroker crank
Angled valve job and ported heads
Super tech valves and Achilles springs
Port matched heads to dinan throttle bodies
288/280 shrick cams with 14mm lift dlc coated
CP pistons 11.5 compression
Carrillo Rods
Underdrive steering and water pump
Csl intake airbox
Vanos upgrade kit and limited intake to restrict valves from hitting pistons

Currently running a ttfs tune with alpha n config tuned to the closest config I have and we will dyno to dial in the numbers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Steeler2427.50
wdb4718.00
      01-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #12
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Nice build.
Hit up Josh aka pokeybritches to get the most out of your setup.

http://www.severntuning.com/
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #13
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Can't wait for the dyno!

How does she sound?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:30 PM   #14
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
One thing not complete is the airbox didnt allow me to retain the existing strut bar I had since the box sits too high and hits the bar, so I'm looking for a suitable one or maybe need to find a better csl style box
Which CSL box did you go with? Hitting on the OEM strut brace or an alternate design?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #15
steffenme1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MCoupe

That wheel/tire combo look great.. what setup are you running?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 08:51 PM   #16
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Nice build.
Hit up Josh aka pokeybritches to get the most out of your setup.

http://www.severntuning.com/
Thanks for the tip. I am currently working with Frank Smith on the tune but if I feel theres issues later I will check them out. I'll check the forum for threads on josh.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #17
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Which CSL box did you go with? Hitting on the OEM strut brace or an alternate design?
I was going with a replica csl box from prinzip out of Germany. It looks good but apparently the part that connects prefilter where the snorkel connects is too high and slightly bigger than what I need. Maybe they test fitted on the e46 but on the z4 it's too big. I ordered a karbonius since I cant stand being so close to having this perfect and incomplete. It should be in a few weeks ready for the dyno. For now I'm limited to driving this locally just to get the break in done.
Appreciate 1
86Zed932.00
      01-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #18
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffenme1 View Post
That wheel/tire combo look great.. what setup are you running?
I got Michelin pilot sport 4s running 275 30 19 in back and 245 35 19 in front. I actually had to raise the car a bit from my previous setup bec the offset vorsteiner sold me for the front was for the e46 m3 and it sticks out a few mm too much on the front. I had rubbing issues with no wheel gap, so I had to raise the car about 1 inch. Or 2 finger gap
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #19
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Wheel clearance

Quote:
I got Michelin pilot sport 4s running 275 30 19 in back and 245 35 19 in front. I actually had to raise the car a bit from my previous setup bec the offset vorsteiner sold me for the front was for the e46 m3 and it sticks out a few mm too much on the front. I had rubbing issues with no wheel gap, so I had to raise the car about 1 inch. Or 2 finger gap
Is it possible Vorsteiner can replace the front E46 M3 setup with the E86 M setup? Raising the ride height 1 inch negatively affects center of gravity - just a thought.
      01-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #20
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Is it possible Vorsteiner can replace the front E46 M3 setup with the E86 M setup? Raising the ride height 1 inch negatively affects center of gravity - just a thought.
Vorsteiner has their wheels all pre cut from factory in universal sizes and unfortunately in this bolt pattern they didnt have a higher offset wheel. They recommended I can shave a few mil off the backplate but ibut I didnt want to open a can of worms if it shimmies a bit or risk metal fatigue on intense use. I plan on getting custom hre wheels later on instead.

With regards to the ride height I actually am still lower than factory, originally I lowered it around 1.6 inches all around, and then raised it back 1 inches up. Contrary to what others believe slammed cars improve handling, sometimes having more suspension travel is recommended hence why dinan springs usually hardly lower the car. Actually looking at the motorsport z4m setups they dont look so low.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 12:05 AM   #21
Z4M85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Update:

Got the car back yesterday after some minor delays getting the csl style airbox installed due to connectors not fitting or the proper ones missing. I was supposed to have a dyno tune right after but Steve Dinan heard my plans and told me I should break the engine in and have the oil changed before I run it that hard on the dyno. One thing not complete is the airbox didnt allow me to retain the existing strut bar I had since the box sits too high and hits the bar, so I'm looking for a suitable one or maybe need to find a better csl style box

Basically on break in period for the next month before I can see the output the configuration is doing.

I must say I was quite pleased working with Carbahn on this build and I will look forward to working with them again if i ever do another build again. Steve Dinan is a really passionate guy about his cars and the work their shop does. Cant say I've ever had so much confidence and comfort in having my car in any builder shop like I did here.

Here's what Carbahn had done for my engine:

Installed 97mm stroker crank
Angled valve job and ported heads
Super tech valves and Achilles springs
Port matched heads to dinan throttle bodies
288/280 shrick cams with 14mm lift dlc coated
CP pistons 11.5 compression
Carrillo Rods
Underdrive steering and water pump
Csl intake airbox
Vanos upgrade kit and limited intake to restrict valves from hitting pistons

Currently running a ttfs tune with alpha n config tuned to the closest config I have and we will dyno to dial in the numbers.
Congrats OP! That setup from Carbahn should be amazing.

Two things I wanted to mention about the setup is the airbox and the tune. I saw that you mentioned that you will be replacing the current one with a Karbonius unit. The Karbonius one fits the Z4M far better than the current one which seems to have pretty awful build quality and fitment. Also word of caution with TTFS. They did a remote CSL tune with MSS54HP on a local E46M and there were some glaring issues with over-fueling and pinging at low RPM. After 4 years of issues with that car, the tuner was changed and many aspects of the tune were corrected by the new tuner. PM me if you need a good recommendation for a tuner that does fantastic remote/dyno tunes and heavily tracks their own M3 (csl airbox, shricks 288/280, full SS exhaust).
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #22
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCB View Post
Congrats OP! That setup from Carbahn should be amazing.

Two things I wanted to mention about the setup is the airbox and the tune. I saw that you mentioned that you will be replacing the current one with a Karbonius unit. The Karbonius one fits the Z4M far better than the current one which seems to have pretty awful build quality and fitment. Also word of caution with TTFS. They did a remote CSL tune with MSS54HP on a local E46M and there were some glaring issues with over-fueling and pinging at low RPM. After 4 years of issues with that car, the tuner was changed and many aspects of the tune were corrected by the new tuner. PM me if you need a good recommendation for a tuner that does fantastic remote/dyno tunes and heavily tracks their own M3 (csl airbox, shricks 288/280, full SS exhaust).

Thank you. Yes carbahn did excellent work and through my interactions with them I can tell they did quality work and paid great attention to detail. I've always known steve dinan to care about reliability and they just didnt take my project to get it in and out of the shop.

I did get the karbonius intake installed and it is much higher quality. The strut bar is back on so now the hood is complete. One thing however was I had difficulty connecting the mount at the bottom of the box to the engine block, perhaps they had to bend the bracket in order to get the other box to mount up, so that's a small quirk I need to get fixed in the near future.

I will check out your tuner to see the difference if I have issues with ttfs. I have a dyno run to be scheduled around 2 weeks which is after I get the car corner balanced and 1200 mile oil change. Supposedly the mss70 ecu is more advanced according to ttfs so it handles alpha n better than the mss54. I'll see what we get on the dyno in a few weeks and go from there. The can tune he gave me to run on so far seems to have no issues as far as smoothness but I do on occasion on idle hear pinging. How would over fueling be detected?
Appreciate 0