ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Bahrain unrest - hope this doesn't mean...

folks there is a lot of unrest in Bahrain. we are awfully close to the season opener. I hope these unrest doesn't get out of hand before the race or at least lets hope the shit hits the fan after the race. as much I support all the freedom fighters around the world I hope we can have our race before they get their revolution. I know I may sound a bit glib but hey they waited all this time a few more weeks won't make a difference.
      02-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Hate to say it, but could care-less on Bahrain GP.
Which normally ends up to be a bore-fest...ZZZzzz...

Bernie did express his concern about the season opener...but the organizers guarantees the safety of all participants...

Quote:
Sheikh Salman bin Isa Al Khalifa, Bahrain International Circuit CEO, says the safety of everyone involved remains their top priority.

"The safety of all Bahraini nationals, expats and overseas visitors is a priority at all times in the kingdom and, at the Bahrain International Circuit, our focus at the present time is on delivering another successful event in the form of the Bahrain Grand Prix," he said.
http://planet-f1.com/driver/18227/67...ain-resolution

Also, GP2 is running at Bahrain this coming weekend and will continue as scheduled...

Quote:
Red Bull team boss Christian Horner acknowledged the threat but said there was no alarming news about the situation emerging from the venue at present - his GP2 team Arden is competing in Bahrain this weekend. "I spoke to the team yesterday and they didn't mention any concerns and hopefully that race will go ahead as planned," he told Reuters.

A GP2 spokesperson told the Guardian: "The teams at the track have reported nothing shocking. There is no concern and GP2 will be running this weekend."
http://en.espnf1.com/bahrain/motorsp...ory/40954.html
      02-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
the main city is built like a citadel keeping the "peasants" out. last years race wasn't exactly a nail biter but hey got the F1 fever and I need a fix so bring it on where ever it may be. after the race is over I say to the peasants "CHARGE!"
      02-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
although i agree its not the most exciting race but its still the first bit of F1 we are getting in the last 4 months
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
although i agree its not the most exciting race but its still the first bit of F1 we are getting in the last 4 months
Move Australian GP to be the First race in the calender....and delay Bahrain GP later in the season when things settled....maybe even all the way towards the end of the season...near Abu Dhabi GP....save some logistics cost and distance...
      02-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

I doubt it will be delayed guys. So far they are peaceful protests and nobody there is trying to harm anyone. It will calm down in a few days and im pretty sure F1 will still start in Bahrain.

At the end of the day the country and the people are more important than the F1, so if it gets delayed then so be it. But here's to having a great F1 opener
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
I doubt it will be delayed guys. So far they are peaceful protests and nobody there is trying to harm anyone. It will calm down in a few days and im pretty sure F1 will still start in Bahrain.

At the end of the day the country and the people are more important than the F1, so if it gets delayed then so be it. But here's to having a great F1 opener
Two died already...hope this will end soon and bring the region back to peace...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/...sts/index.html
      02-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Two died already...hope this will end soon and bring the region back to peace...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/...sts/index.html
The first person that was killed was taking part in a peaceful protest when they got attacked by riot police and shot. The second one was killed while attending the funeral of the first person who died..Also by riot police. The protests are peaceful, the aggression is form the police only. I hope this ends soon and well too. Thanks!
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
The first person that was killed was taking part in a peaceful protest when they got attacked by riot police and shot. The second one was killed while attending the funeral of the first person who died..Also by riot police. The protests are peaceful, the aggression is form the police only. I hope this ends soon and well too. Thanks!
Are you from Bahrain? If so I hope your family is safe, and that things are resolved peacefully.

I was planning on attending the Bahrain GP this year, but had to cancel due to a conflict with my schedule. However, I'd love to visit and watch a race in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Who else would have guns but the police. Something to be said about our second amendment rights. These oppressive governments won't last a day if the people had the same rights. I am not a big gun person but sometimes it comes handy. Can't believe I just said that...
      02-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Are you from Bahrain? If so I hope your family is safe, and that things are resolved peacefully.

I was planning on attending the Bahrain GP this year, but had to cancel due to a conflict with my schedule. However, I'd love to visit and watch a race in the future.
Yes, I am from Bahrain. Everyone is fine, it is not as chaotic as it seems on tv. Thanks for your concern! Hope you can make it to the next GP in Bahrain, we would be glad to have you
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #12
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep

I take it all back..Forget F1 in Bahrain this season, there is 0 percent it will stay on schedule
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I take it all back..Forget F1 in Bahrain this season, there is 0 percent it will stay on schedule
this sucks...stay safe mate!!!
      02-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #14
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
sorry your people are going through this difficult time. I hope calmer minds prevail and the differences can be resolved amicably. there is always next year to host the F1 season opener. stay safe and peace to all
      02-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
GP2 race cancelled due to escalated situation...however, the first F1 testing in Bahrain from March 3-6. Hopefully Bahrain will be back to peace in two weeks.

http://en.espnf1.com/bahrain/motorsp...ory/41087.html

Quote:
The future of next month's Bahrain Grand Prix was thrown into doubt after this weekend's scheduled GP2 Asia race at the Sakhir circuit near Manama was cancelled because of escalating political tensions in the country.

Bahrain has been rocked by violent anti-government protests in the last week, and more than half a dozen people are believed to have been killed. It is reported that journalists are being stopped from entering the state while internet access is limited, and eyewitnesses report worrying accounts of widespread violence, injuries and deaths.

The GP2 Asia practice scheduled for today was cancelled on Wednesday because medical staff due to be at the track had been rushed to help at local hospitals. But hours later, despite hung-ho rhetoric from the organisers, they were forced into a complete about-turn and scrapped the entire weekend.

The protests began as part of a "day of rage" on Sunday and are expected to continue over the coming days and into the weekend. Various sporting events, including a charity marathon and a local rugby match, have already been cancelled.

FIA president Jean Todt has tried to play down the situation. "I always try not to overreact on breaking stories," he told the Irish Independent. "Of course the essence of the FIA is safety; safety on the racing car, safety on the road, safety in our organisation. So that's what we are claiming, but at the moment there is no reason to have unnecessary concern."

''The safety of all Bahraini nationals, expats and overseas visitors is a priority at all times,'' a spokesman for the Bahrain International Circuit said. ''We are monitoring the situation very closely indeed in association with the relevant authorities and will respond appropriately to any further developments.''

However, CNN reported the last 24 hours have been particularly violent, involving clashes with rubber bullets and tear gas and at least three more people killed.
      02-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
FOM/FIA will decide next week if the Bahrain Testing and Grand Prix will be held as scheduled

Quote:
Bernie Ecclestone has said a decision on whether the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead will be made next week. His comments come in the light of overnight violence in the state and the cancellation of the GP2 Asia race at the weekend.

Less than 24 hours after appearing relaxed about the situation, Ecclestone was forced to admit that it "doesn't look good".

"We'll have to keep our eye on things and make a decision quickly," he told the Press Association. "I spoke to the Crown Prince this morning. He doesn't know any more than you or I, but they're monitoring exactly what is going on. Next week we will make a decision on what we are going to do."

There was also a marked change of mood within the FIA. Yesterday, Jean Todt, the president, said he tried "not to overreact on breaking stories," adding there was "no reason for unnecessary concern". But today an FIA spokesman admitted "the president is looking at the matter closely and when there is something to announce we will let everybody know".

The decision could well be taken out of their hands as the teams are due to meet on Friday when they might agree to stay away.

The comments of two GP2 personnel in Bahrain - Team Air Asia's Davide Valsecchi and Racing Engineering team principal Alfonso- might well help some of them decide.

"My hotel is just 800m away from the centre of the riot and I could hear shots of machine guns," said Valsecchi, while d'Orleans-Borbon commented: "There are Saudi tanks everywhere, and during the night we heard shots."

The pre-season testing, scheduled to begin on March 3, looks increasingly unlikely to go ahead.

More details are emerging of violent clashes which left four dead and 300 injured in the capital Manama. Reports suggest around 2000 people in the city's main square, many of whom were asleep, were set on by around 200 security personnel using batons, tear gas and rubber bullets.
http://en.espnf1.com/bahrain/motorsp...ory/41111.html
      02-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #17
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep

Thanks for ur concerns guys. Unfortunately, it wont take 2 weeks to have peace in bahrain. This is a very big thing happening in Bahrain and it is just the beginning. The closest you will get to see a Grid Start in bahrain is in the form of tanks the government released on its own people..

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #18
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
That's f#cked up! Of course all the arsenal provided by the good 'ol US of A. I'm sure that goes a long way winning their hearts and minds
      02-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #19
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for ur concerns guys. Unfortunately, it wont take 2 weeks to have peace in bahrain. This is a very big thing happening in Bahrain and it is just the beginning. The closest you will get to see a Grid Start in bahrain is in the form of tanks the government released on its own people..

I can't believe the police attacked the protester at 3am while they were sleeping without any warnings. I don't understand why would you do this to your own people, especially when they were SLEEPING or protesting peacefully, not vandalizing or hurting anyone.
Inshallah it will end soon with no more people getting injured or killed!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
FOTA is considering to replace Bahrain Testing with Barcelona (which they are all there now anyways). Unless the situation in Bahrain comes to a peace.
Logical and sensible decision, as well as ease on logistic between testing.

FOM/FIA will decide if Bahrain GP will be held as scheduled sometime next week.

Quote:
The Formula One Teams Association (FOTA) is considering staying in Barcelona for the final pre-season test as the situation in Bahrain remains uncertain.

With talk of the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix being cancelled due to anti-government protests in the country, the March 3-6 test the week before is also awaiting the go-ahead. However, the teams still need to complete their testing programmes ahead of the first race and have approached the Circuit de Catalunya, where they are testing from Friday to Monday this weekend, about the possibility of another week's running if the situation does not improve.

"FOTA has asked us what dates we have available at the prospect of being unable to go to the last test, but there is no formal request yet," Vicenc Aguilera, the new president of the Circuit de Catalunya consortium, is quoted by El Pais newspaper.

Aguilera said the circuit is booked on some of the days between the end of this week's test and early March. "But if F1 asks us something, we will do our best to please," he insisted.

FOTA will meet in Barcelona on Friday, as the four days of scheduled pre-season testing begins.
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/41149.html
Attached Images

02-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #21
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Bemusement at Ecclestone's 'insensitive' Bahrain comments

Quote:
Bernie Ecclestone has given an interview to the BBC in which he said he hoped the Bahrain Grand Prix would still go ahead and that a decision would be taken in "the middle of next week".

But Ecclestone has been slammed by many close to the sport for his comments which came across as, at best, insensitive given the major protests in Bahrain which have left a dozen people dead and hundreds more injured.

"I hope we don't have to do anything, I hope things will just carry on as normal," he said. "Obviously some people were killed, nobody's happy with that, I'm quite sure. Let's hope this all blows away. In these parts there's always been skirmishes. Perhaps it's a bit more than that."

"We don't know what the protesting is really about [but] we've never, ever, ever been involved in religion or politics. We don't make decisions based on those things."

Asked about the commercial implications of a cancellation, he said that had not been discussed. "It's not good because TV companies have scheduled to broadcast the race, so it's better than it happens than not."

He also managed to belittle the GP2 Asia series, which cancelled a scheduled race in Bahrain this weekend because of the unrest. "As you know we pulled the GP2 race. It's the Asian series, so it's not terribly important, and it doesn't give a bad message to anybody, and we don't want to take any chances. And that was yesterday we decided to do that.

"Probably today if we had to make the decision on the information I've got, we wouldn't do that. But anyway it seems as if it's quiet, no big problems. I don't know if I was there or you were there we'd say there are problems, I've no idea. But that's what our people said. I'm more hopeful today than I was yesterday."
http://en.espnf1.com/bahrain/motorsp...ory/41200.html
      02-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #22
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Bernie probably thinks they just want to sell Jenson a hat.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0