ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-29-2023, 06:01 AM   #1
zoomnad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4si "M" suspension

Too many bells and whistles?

First of all, this is my second BMW car, and I rode BMW motorcycles for over 200K AND worked at a BMW motorcycle dealership for years (over 20 years) as a Parts Manager. I have Blue and White running through my veins! I have even gone to Germany to tour the motorcycle plant twice. But I saw a trend happening to the cars and motorcycles each year that made the do-it-yourself a thing of the past! The machines are way too complicated meaning dealer involvement which meant $$$$ to the owners! Since having bought my BMW Z4si, (41K) I have had nothing but problems! The first SES light was on, couldn't find anything wrong with my Indy dealer. Now the code 5E40 DSC light and brake light are on in yellow! And yes, it is a 15-year-old auto! I bought the car in October this year. Sure, I could have kept the VW GTI (no problems in 4 years) but driving the BMW is so much fun, when the lights stay off! And yes, I will fix it because, like all of you, I have Blue and White running in my veins!
      12-29-2023, 07:26 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Sorry bud, get a BMW specific scanner.
      12-29-2023, 08:24 AM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

It sounds like your DSC module might need a rebuild. I've had two done, both at Module Masters.

And, trust me, a Z4 is not a complicated vehicle. I worked on a Mercedes S65 AMG Coupe, and when I removed the trim panels in the trunk there were computer modules, fuse/relay complexes, servo motors, cables and wires everywhere. I mean, EVERYWHERE. I won't even get started with what's under the hood. Or with the fact that any hybrid is probably at least as complex as that AMG.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
XMetal1136.00
      12-29-2023, 05:05 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
IDK, if you think 1st gen Z4s are complicated, the newer stuff makes them seem pretty basic. With the proper diagnostic equipment (I use ista+ and or inpa) to troubleshoot issues makes it easier, but without it, yeah, it will be difficult to diagnose electrical problems, just like any modernish vehicle
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 08:55 PM   #5
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

+1 on what others have said.

I’d assume bike parts are just like car parts. Plenty of inline changes by both manufacturers and outsourced suppliers. Google the common issues with the e85 facelift. The dsc changed for 06+ so pre don’t have the same issue and Bosch had an inline production change of the dsc google the trifecta will show you what it’s all about. There’s a YouTube video if you’re adventurous enough to even rebuild it yourself. My e86 has 36k on the clock with the trifecta (5DF0,5DF1) have had the car for 2.5 years and plan to send it to module masters for rebuild when I swap in a bbk. It’s not really that bad you just gotta know how to drive without abs and traction control if the trifecta is lit. No biggy hey no driving Nannie’s there to hold you back. Anyway continuing on.

Shortly into getting my 03 z4 almost 13 years ago the first code I had was for upstream bank 1 O2 sensor aging. Not that it was bad yet just old and that was at 70kish miles now at 109k. Thing hates NTK so swapped that to Bosch. Cars finicky on cheaper sensors go figure. You really need to get a bmw specific scanner even the most basic peake will read and clear it once resolved but generic readers won’t tell you squat. Do a lot of reading and research it’s not terrible really. If you’ve only had it since October there’s possibly a good bit that could’ve been neglected by the previous owners in not keeping on top of things the way they should’ve and it’s catching you now. Check all the aged suspension components if nothings been done. Mileage doesn’t mean much if the owners kept the garage queen neglected.

Last edited by Piper1; 12-29-2023 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 04:57 AM   #6
zoomnad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4si "M" suspension

Hey, I'm not complaining at all. I'm 73 now but came from the old "points and condensers" when a carburetor, cam, and headers made cars run fast and mpg was 4! I love the new cars with technology, mpg, handling, and fuel injection. I don't want to go back! I need to learn new ways of working my car with scanners and I'm setting up ISTA+ soon. I look forward to learning new things. To Piper1, BMW motorcycles were terrible at inline production changes and VIN was your only hope......maybe!