ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-26-2021, 11:15 AM   #1
AustinZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i SMG

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [0.00]
What do I need for this? (Ugly pics inside)

Gotta lead with that ugly pics notice.

I bought my first z4 for crazy cheap. But I'm happy with the purchase and knew it was going to require some work to get it back to decent shape. Last weekend I got the car in the air for the first time and began to poke around.

Obviously the underbody needs help. I've been roaming around on realoem and parts site to size up what I could need but thought maybe you guys know better. Looking at the pics below, what parts are needed to get it back to somewhat decent shape? Belly pan, weld for the exhaust (so it can pass emissions and thus state inspected), under engine cover maybe? I figured the car would need $2-3k to get up to par. And I'll be doing most of the work myself.

Driving the car the 2.5 hours home, I know it was a good purchase. Car drives amazing and handles great. Pull is strong, transmission doesn't slip, paddle shifters work, and sport mode is functional.

Thanks! It's such a fun car 😁😁😁
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 02:21 PM   #2
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

I'd look for some oil leaks while you're in there. Probably valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket.

Looks to be rode hard and put away wet. Welcome to the party, pal!
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17286.50
      08-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Lots of parts need looking at.
Looks like the front end has been involved in a shunt seeing the condition of the AC condenser and the rad.
Oil leaks and cooling system would be my first concerns.
Then new tires.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 08:29 PM   #4
AustinZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Definitely cleared a big rock or something. It has a clear VIN though and no airbags deployed.

Already replaced the valve cover gasket with a victor reinz one. No oil filter housing leaks. Did a cleaning of the engine bay with a cleaner and the underbody with a hose. TON of mud came off. The car was parked for about a year at least before I got it. The plastics inside are breaking under the most mild pressure so those I got from a junk yard and are replacing. And I'll be doing a CF 5 layer vinyl wrap on the dash.

The car was definitely driven and then just left outside in the rain. Still pulling out pine tree needles.

Definitely getting new tires and then an alignment and oil change.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 05:17 AM   #5
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Good thing it was priced right! Sounds like you relish a project, and this car is definitely that. Worth it? As long as you don't find any true horrors, my money is on 'yes'.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
AustinZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Can you share any underbody pix so I know about what to look for from my next junkyard trek?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:14 PM   #7
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinZ4 View Post
Can you share any underbody pix so I know about what to look for from my next junkyard trek?

Here's a shot of the front with Splash shied and oil plug access door installed.
Attached Images

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17286.50
      09-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #8
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinZ4 View Post
I think there's an '07 Z4 at the wrench-a-part yard off of Hwy71 east of the airport (if you're in Austin).

Regardless, if you're salvaging parts, try to grab a replacement aluminum subframe in addition to the plastic oil drain cover (your subframe looks pretty beat up in the photos - not sure how structural that thing still is).

Good luck. Not too easy finding Z4's in salvage yards.
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #9
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Depending on mileage, radiator expansion tank, the hoses, thermostat and water pump. While you're in there, accessory belt and the tensioner. If you get these from fcp euro, they come with life time warranty. Fluids too.
      09-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #10
AustinZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Been out to the wrench a part already. Heading out to the one in belton this weekend.

Thanks for the pic! I'll be ordering some stuff this weekend too, what I can't find out there.

And soon I'll be getting the car in the air and drop the exhaust manifold to weld it back solid. That should solve my engine error code and get it legal to drive. And I'll be welding the strut tower braces as those are broken too.

But first I'll be getting some rear shock mounts as the car drives hard over bumps. Any suggestions?

Also, I think some bilsteins all around. Any better choices?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 08:51 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Okay. So that car went off road somewhere. Jezus. New radiator. I guess the horn pigtail got ripped apart. The N52 eventually leaks oil at the Oil Filter Housing Gasket (search the net for N52 OFHG); the oil pan, and valve cover. The valve cover is known to crack at higher mileages as well. It looks like your engine has at least 2 of the 3 oil leaks. Now what is important is the OFHG. Bad leaks of the OFHG will leak onto the serpentine belt and eventually cause the belt to slip off the pulleys. If that happens, there is high risk of the engine ingesting the belt through the front crank seal; yes it can get behind the crank pulley. You don't want that to happen. You didn't post any pic of the top of the engine; you should so we can see what's going on with the VCG and OFG.

I've not done the pan gasket on the N52 in the Z4, but I've done it on the E90. You probably need to drop the front subframe like is required on the E90. Once the subframe is out of the way, the pan gasket is easy to replace. You should install the new gasket with some gasket maker product because the gasket design sucks; I use Permatex Ultra-black.

There are a bunch of new parts you need obviously in the underbelly of the front end, such as the aluminum reinforcement plate, and the front plastic underbelly pan, and some of the cladding from the bumper cover back that tie into the wheel wells. The pics are too close to really see. Using realoem is the correct path to get your car back in shape.

Regarding the N52, the E90 post DIY subforum has about every DIY covered for the engine.

Good luck with the restoration.

And you are right, it is ugly.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
wdb4718.00