ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
snowmirage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Excessive Noise? My first drilled / slotted rotors

This past weekend I replaced the OEM rotors and pads on the front end with the following..

Bavarian Autosport Ultimate Brake Rotor Set - Front (Part # 34 11 1 164539U if anyone wants to know)

And a set of EBC Redstuff brake pads

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/redstuff-brake-pads/

I under stand to expect more than ordinary noise during initial brake in but at the moment its enough to make me wonder if something is "off"

Under gentle braking as I slow down to a crawl the dragging is well beyond noticeable. Enough that someone who didn't know what was going on might speak up and ask what was wrong with my car.

Once I'm up to speed (45+ MPH) I can't really notice it anymore but it may just be being over come by road noise

The guide with the brake pads recommended ~200 miles of stop and go driving under normal braking then going through a bed in procedure (3 hard stops from about 60 MPH to 20 MPH)

I'm wondering if not having done the bed in yet is just causing the pads to sit forward in the caliper and drag excessively, does this sound like a likely hypothesis?

If this is correct then I would suspect once things are worn in they'd make roughly the same amount of noise under braking just not drag as much all time?

I've changed a couple sets of pads and rotors over the years but I've never driven a car with drilled / slotted rotors or with a pad similar to this so I'm not sure what an expected level of noise is.

Anyone with experience have any guidance?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
Geauxkart
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe Sepang

It's the pads. Mine do it too.
Appreciate 0