ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Bilstein HD vs. Koni Yellows vs. ?

It's time to decide on dampers. I've heard good and bad, here and there, on both, but nothing that sways me decisively either way. What are your thoughts?

I already have a Eibach Pro-kit, just need the dampers. I drive it daily and plan to autoX a few times a year.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
dean911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Just bought my car in November, a beautiful low mileage '07 M Coupe, but I digress. It has been hibernating for the winter and while playing with it I found a broken rear spring. I did some research and eventually chose the Eibach/Bilstein HD Combination. I didn’t want to drop it as much as the H&R’s. I contacted Bilstein and asked about the compatibility with the Eibach springs and they said ok. I had a weekend of semi-warm weather about two weeks ago and got the car out for about a 50 mile ride and love the setup. Before installing, I compared the OEM shocks and they offered next to no resistance compared to the Bilstein. My car only has 26,000 miles on it but the shocks were super soft and very quick on the rebound. I have no plans on tracking the car and didn’t really push it while I had it out, so consider this just some additional info in making your decision.
Good luck, Greg
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Thanks Greg! I am leaning toward the Bilstein HDs. It sounds like it would be a good solution for a daily driver. I only plan to autocross once in a while and don't expect to be too competitive since it's a lower power Z4 anyway. But would like a crisp spirited ride. The stock ride is very soft.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

I have the Eibach Pro Kit with the Bilstein HD's and absolutely love it. Hard to explain, but the ride is more planted than stock into and out of corners, and the ride is less harsh (bumps are less jarring) at the same time. I just started tracking (4 track days so far) and did 2 Auto-X days and my setup held up just fine. In fact the car felt great and nowhere near the limit of losing traction (except that one time I spun off but that was driver error not part performance).

I say go Bilstein. I had the Koni Yellows on my E46 and they were ok, but have always liked Bilstein better.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

It looks like I will run with the Bilsteins. Haven't heard/read a single knock on them yet. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: TI Silver 06 Z4 Coupe

I am running the Koni Yellows with Eibach. I love the fact that they are adjustable. I have had these on for about 10000 miles. So far they have been great. The ride on the softest side is very smooth and comfortable. The hardest setting is like a lumber wagon but responsive.
      03-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
I have the Eibach Pro Kit with the Bilstein HD's and absolutely love it. Hard to explain, but the ride is more planted than stock into and out of corners, and the ride is less harsh (bumps are less jarring) at the same time. I just started tracking (4 track days so far) and did 2 Auto-X days and my setup held up just fine. In fact the car felt great and nowhere near the limit of losing traction (except that one time I spun off but that was driver error not part performance).

I say go Bilstein. I had the Koni Yellows on my E46 and they were ok, but have always liked Bilstein better.
I can second the impressions of driving this setup.

It was a magnificent spin from what I hear from my wife, who was right behind gferil when it happened. Turn 5/6 in the bypass configuration can be tricky! Think it must have looked something like this
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I can second the impressions of driving this setup.

It was a magnificent spin from what I hear from my wife, who was right behind gferil when it happened. Turn 5/6 in the bypass configuration can be tricky! Think it must have looked something like this
Hahah...yeah that's pretty close. That sure as hell explains all the grass I had in my trunk. But I went off much sooner than he did, pretty much right where the turn goes straight again. Keep the wheel straight and both feet in!

And damn me for forgetting to turn on my Contour camera during that session, otherwise I'd just show my own footage!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Ha! I'm not sure "epic spin" is a selling point. At least I didn't see it on the brochure.
Appreciate 0