ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Tips for being comfortable while working on suspension

I'm new to working on my car, and found that it's always a bit of a PITA. A lot of awkward angles to reach, pushing, shoving. For example, getting the rear springs out, loosening the rear shock to hub assembly bolt, tightening it back on, these things sound simple but are a PITA in reality.

You could call me naive for thinking that working on cars is not a PITA. But maybe you have some general tips for making it less of a pain. Specifically I was thinking about maybe doing RTAB limiters while I'm adjusting my rear ride height, but I know it's going to be another pain, so I'm feeling lazy about it.

Any tips for creature comforts while doing this stuff?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I find that if you find yourself exerting yourself or in an awkward position, it means you probably don’t have the right tool (or there’s a better tool out there). But if the car’s on jack stands it shouldn’t be too bad as long as you have the thin wrenches, quality impact gun, spring compressor, and knuckle spreader. You may want to hit some of the known stubborn bolts with WD40 a day or two in advance.
      10-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
True. An impact would help me out a lot. For now, I'm breaking bolts loose with a wrench with a pipe on the end, and using a power drill with a 3/8 drive adapter to speed it up a little. Not sure how long this fad of mine will last so I haven't bitten the bullet on an impact wrench or electric ratchet.

One specific instance of annoying: I'm finding that to adjust the rear height, I have to disconnect the shock to unload the spring. If I try to twist the adjustment ring on the spring perch while the spring preload is on it, the entire perch moves. Then reconnecting the shock is annoying because you have to align the shock with the knuckle, and the screw will only thread in at exactly the right angle. Am I just complaining too much?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 10:01 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtercoffee View Post
True. An impact would help me out a lot. For now, I'm breaking bolts loose with a wrench with a pipe on the end, and using a power drill with a 3/8 drive adapter to speed it up a little. Not sure how long this fad of mine will last so I haven't bitten the bullet on an impact wrench or electric ratchet.

One specific instance of annoying: I'm finding that to adjust the rear height, I have to disconnect the shock to unload the spring. If I try to twist the adjustment ring on the spring perch while the spring preload is on it, the entire perch moves. Then reconnecting the shock is annoying because you have to align the shock with the knuckle, and the screw will only thread in at exactly the right angle. Am I just complaining too much?
You need proper tools, what you’re doing now sounds really painful. Even taking wheels off with hand tools would annoy me lol.