ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #1
BimmerBren
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i GT, 2007 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
E85 roof not activating (no lights, no motor noise)

Hey everyone! I just picked up my 2007 e85 Z4 a few days ago, and the roof seems to only work some days. When I got it the roof worked fine, and on the second day it didn't function. The third day the roof was able to open but now we can't close it.

When I press the open roof/close roof button, no lights come on, and I do not hear any roof motor noises. I've checked for blown fuses (12,31,55), and I'm still unsure what the issue is. I don't think it's a micro switch issue because there is no amber light. I've checked the car battery with a voltage meter, scanned the car for codes, and can't diagnose the issue. I think that it must be some electrical issue as I know the motors function properly. Perhaps there's an issue with the buttons relaying the signal to the roof? Does anyone know what I can do?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 04:40 PM   #2
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

First, you can operate the top manually (i.e., dropping or lifting by hand) by pulling the release cable in the trunk (red tab). Handy for situations like the top getting stuck open.

Secondly, top issues are plenty and very common with these cars. I'd start by checking the ambient temp sensor (is the temp reading accurate and A/C working?). Next stop is the motor/lines. When the top was operating, did it open and close without hesitation and at the normal speed?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 06:46 PM   #3
BimmerBren
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
First, you can operate the top manually (i.e., dropping or lifting by hand) by pulling the release cable in the trunk (red tab). Handy for situations like the top getting stuck open.

Secondly, top issues are plenty and very common with these cars. I'd start by checking the ambient temp sensor (is the temp reading accurate and A/C working?). Next stop is the motor/lines. When the top was operating, did it open and close without hesitation and at the normal speed?
Quote:

Hey thanks for the reply! The AC works fine and the temperatures are accurate. When the top was operating, it worked fine and at normal speeds. The only other possible solution that I can think of is by getting a new micro switch although if that was the problem there should have been an amber light right? I can maybe unplug the battery and wait 30min to possibly "reset" the computers.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 11:04 PM   #4
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Yeah the microswitch throws the light, plus it wouldn't be working at all, unless you moved the shelf between the two days. Does the top move up/down manually w/o any issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #5
BimmerBren
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah the microswitch throws the light, plus it wouldn't be working at all, unless you moved the shelf between the two days. Does the top move up/down manually w/o any issues?
Yea there's no issues moving it manually. I was thinking about how the windows don't even roll up/down when I press the button. I think the that maybe there could be an issue with the button wiring but I'm not sure how to take apart the trim to check.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #6
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Try resetting your windows. Yea, it more than likely isn't this, yet the windows are tied into the roofs operation and a reset is free/quick and worth a shot.

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196

PS: Originally, your top was stuck down. Now that your moving it manually is it working in either direction (up/down).
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
This happened to me when I bought my E85.Top worked fine for about 2 weeks, then wouldn't open. The previous owner warned me the motor was on its way out(he was right)
:-(
      06-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
BimmerBren
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS1169 View Post
Try resetting your windows. Yea, it more than likely isn't this, yet the windows are tied into the roofs operation and a reset is free/quick and worth a shot.

PS: Originally, your top was stuck down. Now that your moving it manually is it working in either direction (up/down).
I just tried resetting the windows but unfortunately nothing changed. We can manually lift the roof but we can't get it to latch because the button won't activate the motor to latch onto the roof. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #9
BimmerBren
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybat View Post
This happened to me when I bought my E85.Top worked fine for about 2 weeks, then wouldn't open. The previous owner warned me the motor was on its way out(he was right)
:-(
That's a bummer I just don't think there's an issue with my roof motors because I'm not getting any blinking lights when I press the button... and the roof function flawlessly 2 days ago. It moved at normal speeds and there weren't any weird noises.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #10
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep

Here is a go-by for removing the panel with the top up/down buttons.

Your removal starts at about 1:20. I'd hose down the area around these up/down buttons, both front/back with Electrical contact cleaner and hope for the best.

However before i did anything I'd look over the micro switch in the trunk. Don't rely on the amber light, it may have failed. Although I never had to deal with a bad micro switch, I've read postings in prior years that there is a way of by-passing this switch. (There might be info on youtube regarding the micro switch)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:08 PM   #11
BimmerBren
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is a go-by for removing the panel with the top up/down buttons.

Your removal starts at about 1:20. I'd hose down the area around these up/down buttons, both front/back with Electrical contact cleaner and hope for the best.

However before i did anything I'd look over the micro switch in the trunk. Don't rely on the amber light, it may have failed. Although I never had to deal with a bad micro switch, I've read postings in prior years that there is a way of by-passing this switch. (There might be info on youtube regarding the micro switch)
Wow! Thank you for sending that video! I'll definitely look into taking apart the trim... I just gotta find some time. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #12
BimmerBren
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

WOOOHOO! Just tried resetting my windows again using a different method I found online. IT WORKED! Thanks everyone for providing me with various suggestions to fix the top. I'll attach a picture of the method I used. The roof function flawlessly and you definitely just saved some serious $$$
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 08:40 PM   #13
BimmerBren
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Link that helped me

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104699
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #14
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep

1st, good for you, and yes you saved some $$$.

Yea, you'd never think the stupid windows could totally screw up the top. Although unusual they can. This is another reason why I never advise adding any new electrical item to one of these cars.
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3853.50
      06-23-2022, 04:20 AM   #15
mattgc13
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Competition

Quote:

Hey Spiff, I just picked up a 2004 Z4 a couple of days ago, and it is definitely fixer-upper. I however have all three issues that you stated in the beginning of your second part of your comment. The A/C doesnt blow cold, ambient sensor is all out of whack, and the top doesnt do anything (no light no motor noise) when pressed. Are you saying that a faulty ambient air temp sensor will restrict the top functionality and the a/c??? I was able to find some documentation on the a/c being affected by it, and I have one ordered, but cant find much about the top. I will be VERY pleasantly surprised if this fixes them both.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 12:43 PM   #16
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep

Hey

1st, I'd get a good code reader on your Z4. Since the car is new to you, running a code reader on it should give you a good start at where to begin.

Because your ambient sensor is faulty the car's main computer might believe it's below zero outside.

Although, I can't confirm this, I can recall reading a post in the past that either the convertible controller unit or the main computer will stop the convertible top from operating below a certain temp, I think it was 40F. Again, I can't confirm that this is true but, it sort of makes sense as a way of preventing the canvass top from getting damaged.

Maybe the AC system is tied into this same safeguard system and will not engage the AC below a certain Temp. A good code reader should give you an idea of what's happening
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 06:06 PM   #17
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgc13 View Post
Hey Spiff, I just picked up a 2004 Z4 a couple of days ago, and it is definitely fixer-upper. I however have all three issues that you stated in the beginning of your second part of your comment. The A/C doesnt blow cold, ambient sensor is all out of whack, and the top doesnt do anything (no light no motor noise) when pressed. Are you saying that a faulty ambient air temp sensor will restrict the top functionality and the a/c??? I was able to find some documentation on the a/c being affected by it, and I have one ordered, but cant find much about the top. I will be VERY pleasantly surprised if this fixes them both.
Correct. If the ambient sensor is faulty (which you can verify by the very low outside temp reading in the cluster) it prevents the A/C from working and the top from opening. On the Ms the sensor is on the driver side of the bumper at the bottom IIRC, but I am not sure if it's the same placement in non-Ms.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 06:18 PM   #18
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Correct. If the ambient sensor is faulty (which you can verify by the very low outside temp reading in the cluster) it prevents the A/C from working and the top from opening. On the Ms the sensor is on the driver side of the bumper at the bottom IIRC, but I am not sure if it's the same placement in non-Ms.
Ambient air temp sensor is in the same position on non M
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 06:18 PM   #19
mattgc13
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the quick feedback. Again, this is a major fixer-upper. It was hit slightly in the driver front where the ambient air temp sensor was, and the sensor was completely gone and the connector looked like it was dragging for awhile. I replaced it and that works correctly now and gives accurate readings. However it did not help with the top or the a/c.

I have Carly and another high end tester (forgot the name but am going to try it soon) and there are no codes related to top or air conditioning. The only codes I have now are 0027A4 (EWS Interface 3.3 - DME), 002737 (EWS 3.3 tamper protection), and a few instrument cluster codes (also working on an issue where the air bag light is on all the time and blinkers are insanely delayed on the cluster). I have been spending the last couple days doing a cooling system refresh, so I haven't been able to look into these EWS codes and am not very familiar in what they can affect. It does have an aftermarket headunit, which may affect the EWS module? I was also just able to successfully link a new key fob to it.

I have also checked the 3 aforementioned fuses and they all seemed fine, even switched them around just to double check. I briefly tried the screenshotted window reset and it didn't do anything but I think I'm going to try that again.

Sorry for the barrage of info, but just trying to throw all factors out there because I am honestly just looking for the best path to start diagnosing some of these issues, and if they are linked that would not surprise me.

Last edited by mattgc13; 06-29-2022 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 06:29 PM   #20
mattgc13
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBren View Post
WOOOHOO! Just tried resetting my windows again using a different method I found online. IT WORKED! Thanks everyone for providing me with various suggestions to fix the top. I'll attach a picture of the method I used. The roof function flawlessly and you definitely just saved some serious $$$
To clarify, on the number 2 instruction where it says "press the switch" is that referring to pushing the window switch down(rolling window down)?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 05:32 PM   #21
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep

Well, at least you ruled out the temp sensor.

Given your facts try this:

It won't cost you any $$ and actually given your facts might be the roof problem.
Appreciate 0