ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-02-2021, 07:34 AM   #1
J-Thurm23
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 3.0

Broken gas cap,small plastic piece broke off..

I have a 2007 BMW Z4 Coupe with 32,000 miles on it. I've owned it since it was new and I've never had an issue with the gas cap. I noticed the check engine light popped on and the gas cap wouldn't screw back into place like it normally does, it was just stuck and wouldn't turn. I guess I forced it too hard and broke off the small plastic piece when I tried to shut the gas door as well. I wish I had a picture, but I don't, I'll try an add one soon. Once the plastic piece broke off, the gas door shut, but the gas cap still won't tighten correctly and that piece is broken. Has anyone had to replace all of this before? Any help on how to get this fixed properly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:11 AM   #2
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Thurm23 View Post
I have a 2007 BMW Z4 Coupe with 32,000 miles on it. I've owned it since it was new and I've never had an issue with the gas cap. I noticed the check engine light popped on and the gas cap wouldn't screw back into place like it normally does, it was just stuck and wouldn't turn. I guess I forced it too hard and broke off the small plastic piece when I tried to shut the gas door as well. I wish I had a picture, but I don't, I'll try an add one soon. Once the plastic piece broke off, the gas door shut, but the gas cap still won't tighten correctly and that piece is broken. Has anyone had to replace all of this before? Any help on how to get this fixed properly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Here ya go.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/gas-cap/16116767740/
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #3
J-Thurm23
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 3.0

It’s the small plastic piece that sticks out as well that’s not part of the gas cap, I guess it makes the gas cap lock when the doors lock? Not sure how to describe it really, but when I closed the gas door this particular piece broke off as well..appreciate the link though
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=16_0537

Other than that we're gonna need pictures.

On second thought, the car is irreparably broken! But I will offer to take it off your hands for, oh, $20K.

kidding
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 09:02 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So you are trying to solve two issues, but didn't clearly state it as such. Problem A (check engine light) can probably be resolved by purchasing a new fuel cap. It appears the gas cap has lost its sealing capability. P/N is: 16116767740

Problem B sounds like you broke the fuel door locking mechanism. Below is the parts schematic from Realoem.com. Item 22 is the electronic module that actuates the locking mechanism that locks the fuel door (on the right rear fender). You must have pushed hard on the fuel door when the car was locked, which extends the locking pin and makes it susceptible to breakage. Item 18 looks to be the actual pin that resides in the fuel cap cavity, which is the part that interacts with the fuel door when the car is locked. Item 18 might be just the part you broke. I've not taken this part of the car apart, so I can't say for sure how to access the Item 18 pin to replace it; you may be able to get to it from the rear tire wheel well after removing the inner wheel well trim, or you may need to remove the right-side trunk interior panel.

Later today I'll go look at my car and investigate and if I have a better solution, I'll update this post.
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-22-2021 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
Texaz3194.50