ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-06-2021, 02:45 PM   #23
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If you apply automotive paint directly to plastic, the paint can damage the plastic. You should first apply a scratch filling primer. I use Duplicolor.
Appreciate 1
wdb4716.50
      05-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #24
capt.pancakes
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
If you apply automotive paint directly to plastic, the paint can damage the plastic. You should first apply a scratch filling primer. I use Duplicolor.
Good to know, thank you! I have some primer that I'll be putting down - just to fill some of the pits and scratches in the plastic - good to know that it's a safety precaution as well!

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:01 PM   #25
capt.pancakes
Rep

As promised here are some progress photos.
I’m letting it dry for the next few hours and will take a stab at wet sanding and polishing them in a little bit.
First photo is of them sanded down (mostly), second photo is the primer, third is with paint and clear coat.
Got some pitting in the plastic that I’m hoping I can smooth out, but it not, it’s not so bad that I can’t live with it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 08:25 AM   #26
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Are you located in the southern hemisphere?

Great effort so far.
Appreciate 1
pungo877.00
      05-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #27
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

@wdb very clever
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #28
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I thought it was a new painting technique to prevent dust from settling onto the wet paint
Appreciate 1
wdb4716.50
      05-09-2021, 02:11 PM   #29
capt.pancakes
Rep

Quote:

Great effort so far.
Hahaha for what it’s worth, the photos look fine on my phone... so idk why they’re upside down here... I’ll see if I can edit the post on my computer when I get home tonight.
Thanks! I’m happy with it, of course it doesn’t look new, but it is such a huge improvement from where it was before that I couldn’t be happier. I’ll post a pic once it’s all reassembled.
I’m about to tear into the dash to see if I can get that blend door actuator out to replace it. Wish me luck on that!
Appreciate 1
wdb4716.50
      05-10-2021, 11:46 AM   #30
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.pancakes View Post
Hahaha for what it’s worth, the photos look fine on my phone... so idk why they’re upside down here...
I know another guy who has the same issue when posting from his phone. No idea why it happens, seems weird to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 10:21 PM   #31
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
That console is a PIA to remove(I have to remove mine, not looking forward to it)
I had that exact same car(03 2.5i). Once sorted, its alot of fun.

Keep up the good work!
      06-02-2021, 08:01 PM   #32
apascutia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.pancakes View Post
Hey Everyone!

I just picked up a 2003 Z3 2.5 today for a steal (or maybe not...?) and I have somewhat of a list of parts that are either missing or broken. So this is sort of an 'introduction' post, but also a "Hey - if you know anything about this stuff... maybe share your thoughts!". I'm still in the research phase but in my previous projects I've found it helpful to get a thread going as well to bum ideas off other owners!

So the good:
She's a 2003 2.5 with 140k miles. Black/black. 5spd. I haven't seen a drop of oil underneath her. Engine feels strong, steering feels planted, and gears go through smoothly. Got her for $3900(!!)

But the bad...
Convertible doesn't work - in the center between the sun visors is a big hole with some wires dangling - I see there is some sort of motor that goes here that probably handles the latching and unlatching of the top. Odd that it's missing, right?
A handful of interior pieces missing (passenger door handle cover, a few speaker grills, and the 'glove box' between the seats doesn't have a button to open).
A lot of the hard plastic bits are supposed to be gray/silver but are scratched up so you can see the plastic underneath.
A/C doesn't work, and there's an extra compressor in the truck? Gotta figure that one out... haha

Radio doesn't work - you turn it on, it displays a message, then shows a radio station #... but no audio - I'm guessing the pre-amp in the head unit could be bad, or maybe the car has an amp? I don't know, and if it does - that amp could be bad I suppose... more to research

Finally, a few of the body panels are loose and a bit scratched - no major body damage just pieces that aren't very well attached.

All in all - I still think I got a good deal, but I know have a laundry list of things to fix before she'll be perfect.

But as a post script, she's a blast to drive - even with the smaller engine she's a lot of fun and I am quite happy with the driving experience!

Awful pic - but I snapped this while she was in the garage... it's been raining so much lately that it hasn't really mattered that the top doesn't work! haha
Hello,
Congratulations on the new car! I'm seriously considering an E85 Z4 2.5i with the 5 speed manual. My question is about the steering feel. I'm also considering a 986 Boxster. I haven't driven the Z4 yet, but I have driven the Boxster. I adore the steering feel of the Boxster. I had an F30 328i, and I absolutely hated the steering feel on that car. How is the steering on the Z4? Is it completely devoid of feedback, or is there still information coming from the road? In the F30, the weighting was all wonky and there was very little road information filtering through (unless you were driving like a hooligan). The Z4 is appealing to me because I think it looks better than the Boxster, has a much more simple engine, has significantly shorter gearing, and it would be cheaper to maintain. But I loved the steering on the Boxster.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #33
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apascutia View Post
Hello,
Congratulations on the new car! I'm seriously considering an E85 Z4 2.5i with the 5 speed manual. My question is about the steering feel. I'm also considering a 986 Boxster. I haven't driven the Z4 yet, but I have driven the Boxster. I adore the steering feel of the Boxster. I had an F30 328i, and I absolutely hated the steering feel on that car. How is the steering on the Z4? Is it completely devoid of feedback, or is there still information coming from the road? In the F30, the weighting was all wonky and there was very little road information filtering through (unless you were driving like a hooligan). The Z4 is appealing to me because I think it looks better than the Boxster, has a much more simple engine, has significantly shorter gearing, and it would be cheaper to maintain. But I loved the steering on the Boxster.
If it’s all about steering feel get the Boxster.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:12 PM   #34
apascutia
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If it’s all about steering feel get the Boxster.
Right, but the Boxster isn't perfect. I had no idea how long the gearing is in those cars. Really saps the fun. All the power is up top (which is fine), but to get there takes forever. I can tell that the Z4 has significantly shorter gearing. Z4 2.5i is in 3rd gear by 60 mph, and in the Boxster you're still in 2nd at 73-75 mph. Also, the engine is stupidly complicated in the 986. If the steering in the Z4 is somewhat similar to how the steering feels in the E90 BMWs, I'd be fine with that. I really liked the steering in the E90 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #35
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Electric steering in all E8x except M’s. It has no feedback. Never bothered me because I feel the car through my butt and steer it with my hips. But a lot of folks gripe about it.

I buy BMWs for their lovely inline 6 engines so no argument there.

EDIT: E90s have hydraulic steering. Get them now while they’re cheap.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:29 PM   #36
apascutia
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Electric steering in all E8x except M’s. It has no feedback. Never bothered me because I feel the car through my butt and steer it with my hips. But a lot of folks gripe about it.

I buy BMWs for their lovely inline 6 engines so no argument there.

EDIT: E90s have hydraulic steering. Get them now while they’re cheap.
I see. I'll still try a Z4 out to see, as I'm in the same camp as you that loves BMW's inline 6. Interestingly enough, I'm also thinking of an E90. I absolutely adore the E90 for so many reasons. I wrote a thread about it a few months ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:31 PM   #37
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by apascutia View Post
Right, but the Boxster isn't perfect. I had no idea how long the gearing is in those cars. Really saps the fun. All the power is up top (which is fine), but to get there takes forever. I can tell that the Z4 has significantly shorter gearing. Z4 2.5i is in 3rd gear by 60 mph, and in the Boxster you're still in 2nd at 73-75 mph. Also, the engine is stupidly complicated in the 986. If the steering in the Z4 is somewhat similar to how the steering feels in the E90 BMWs, I'd be fine with that. I really liked the steering in the E90 3 series.
Do the hydraulic steering conversion if it’s a M54 engine 03-05 (if I remember right with n52 on z4s you can’t or not see it done but sure someone will correct me) and electric steering problem solved.

For me I’ve never minded the steering feel EDIT: in sport mode. I also have a e82 128 with hydraulic steering and being in my Z4 longer I’d say I’d be happiest with a steering feel in between the two.

Last edited by Piper1; 06-02-2021 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:58 PM   #38
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

I’ll also add that when modifying suspension it helps feed back. I have koni yellow adjustables with eibach springs adjustable camber plates power flex poly lca bush and stanced on 18x9 255/35 square there’s much more feed back than just stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #39
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

E90 steering is real nice and like mentioned is hydraulic. No comparison to Z4 electric. The only thing with E90s is that different models come with different steering ratio. My E90 335xi was something like 18:1 or close to it. Steering was kind of slow for my liking but still such a great car overall. I miss it. It was like birthday every day

I also agree with above statement about suspension. Had KW V1s on the E90. Just pure awesome!

Having said all that regular Z4 with Sport button turned on makes it quite decent and does add some heft to the feel.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #40
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by belcom View Post
E90 steering is real nice and like mentioned is hydraulic. No comparison to Z4 electric. The only thing with E90s is that different models come with different steering ratio. My E90 335xi was something like 18:1 or close to it. Steering was kind of slow for my liking but still such a great car overall. I miss it. It was like birthday every day

I also agree with above statement about suspension. Had KW V1s on the E90. Just pure awesome!

Having said all that regular Z4 with Sport button turned on makes it quite decent and does add some heft to the feel.
I have a '06 E90 w/sport package and a '08 Z4 3.0si Coupe w/M-sport package. Both car are manuals. Both are N52's obviously.

I think the Z4 steering, while electric assisted, still provides decent feed back and is nearly comparable to the E90's hydraulic system. The Z4's electric assist design I think is ideal since it applies power assist to the steering shaft rather than the steering rack, so essentially it's a manual steering rack. Now what I don't notice is ANY change in steering feel/input between the sport button activation on or off. I know the button works because the throttle mapping changes, which screws with my clutch actuation (i.e. my left foot).

The E90 has either non-variable steering assist (my car), or variable steering assist, so that's the ration change. The E90 M3 has a different ratio all together.

I also have an E46 330Cic and a '97 Z3, plus I ran a '89 E30 for 18 years, so a lot of 3-series seat time. All 5 of my BMW variants have had good steering feel, and WAY better than any EPS system starting with the POS F30 EPS system. IMO of course.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #41
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

Great effort so far.
I bet the OP's Z4 left-side wheels rotate clockwise and the right-side spin counter-clockwise...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0