ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-30-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
WayneS
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Lamp out warning

So I've had a lamp out warning for awhile now and haven't been able to find anything out except the light circled in the attached. Both went out at or close to the same time? Are these what's considered the Parking Light? (63127170858)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
That "light" is just a dummy. for cosmetic purpose only, no bulb there. It has to be a different light somewhere on the car.
K66 ///M1000RR - Competition
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #3
WayneS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonblitz View Post
That "light" is just a dummy. for cosmetic purpose only, no bulb there. It has to be a different light somewhere on the car.
Ok, i thought that might me the case. I've gone through everything on the car and can't find one out, must be one going.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 04:24 PM   #4
PbFut
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Could also be the ballast or exciter if you have the xenon option. I went through a issue with one. It requires removing front bumper to access and is sort of a PITA without a lift if you are an old guy like me. The access port won't allow the unbolting of the can on the bottom of the light housing so bumper removal makes things very easy. They can be pricey but a Amazon search will come up with some China made options that were 1/10 the price and worked perfect. It also provides a chance to tighten up the panel alignment if needed. I took my time and netted a very satisfying Saturday project result.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 04:46 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneS View Post
So I've had a lamp out warning for awhile now and haven't been able to find anything out except the light circled in the attached. Both went out at or close to the same time? Are these what's considered the Parking Light? (63127170858)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonblitz View Post
There IS a bulb in there. It's used as the day time running light (DRL). It takes a BA9S 10w Halogen bulb. If they are original, you'll have to file a little on the black plastic holder to remove the bulb. Many people swap them out for LEDs, though that would require coding so you don't get an error. Search for BA9S, in this forum for additional details.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      08-31-2021, 06:47 AM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
There IS a bulb in there. It's used as the day time running light (DRL). It takes a BA9S 10w Halogen bulb. If they are original, you'll have to file a little on the black plastic holder to remove the bulb. Many people swap them out for LEDs, though that would require coding so you don't get an error. Search for BA9S, in this forum for additional details.
That’s correct. But they are quite dim and really just cosmetic. If you are interested in having a daytime running light to make your car more visible in traffic, these are quite useless. A better option is to get the car programmed for the Canadian spec daytime running light option where the main xenons will light up regardless of the dash switch position - full lights come on with the switch in auto and when it starts to get dark.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
That’s correct. But they are quite dim and really just cosmetic. If you are interested in having a daytime running light to make your car more visible in traffic, these are quite useless. A better option is to get the car programmed for the Canadian spec daytime running light option where the main xenons will light up regardless of the dash switch position - full lights come on with the switch in auto and when it starts to get dark.
Agreed, the stock AE rings are a joke, but the OP wants to turn the error off and replacing the failed AE bulbs will do that which is the reason for this thread.

Just so you know, the Xenon bulbs put out a lot of heat and running them full time day and night can deteriorate the internal wiring around the projector causing the insulation to crumble. I've see many headlights where the insulation was falling off, several were from running them as DRLs. YMMV

For better AE output, install dual AE LED rings.

someone tried repairing one with electrical tape

Name:  IMG_1726.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  461.4 KB

Name:  before after.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  343.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1761.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  531.7 KB

Name:  AE close.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  134.2 KB

This type of LED bulb can replace the stock AE bulb and improve the output (will need to code out the error)

• KALTUEBERWACHUNG_FL - COLD MONITORING OF HIGH BEAMS= nicht_aktiv
  • WARMUEBERWACHUNG_FL - HOT MONITORING OF HIGH BEAMS=nicht_aktiv
Name:  ba9s.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  87.6 KB

Last edited by pungo; 09-06-2021 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 11:32 AM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I wasn’t aware of that but it’s good to know. All cars sold in Canada are coded to run their zenons constantly to meet Canadian drl regulations so that must be an issue here re degraded insulation. My car came from Florida and still has the US drl coding. If I turn on the park lights I can use fog lights as drls without lighting the zenons.

Who installs those neat halos and how costly is it?

Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #9
WayneS
Rep

So to follow up on this pungo was correct, that was the bulb that was causing the problem. I bought a new one from BMW but once I got it out I see that it would have been easy to just replace the bulb and not the entire bulb/holder.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 07:31 PM   #10
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneS View Post
So to follow up on this pungo was correct, that was the bulb that was causing the problem. I bought a new one from BMW but once I got it out I see that it would have been easy to just replace the bulb and not the entire bulb/holder.
That's what I tried to tell you, it takes a BA9S bulb. Well, at least you got it sorted, even if you bought the holder from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #11
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
That's what I tried to tell you, it takes a BA9S bulb. Well, at least you got it sorted, even if you bought the holder from BMW.
LOL!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #12
meh92
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Roadster

I just replaced my DRL last month bulb and WOW, that was an expensive bulb! Just my luck, one of the headlight ballasts died not too long afterwards.
Appreciate 0