ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-03-2024, 08:31 AM   #1
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Strange failure of ignition coil

My Z4MC has been in storage for the last four months of winter without the battery installed. A couple of days back the weather was good so reinstalled the fully charged battery and started the car up, the engine sounded and felt rough
like it had a misfire.
I checked the codes and yes #4 cylinder was missing.
I removed the plastic cover and jiggled the coil connection with no change so I removed the #4 coil and replaced it with one of the original coils that luckily I hadn't thrown away.
That fixed it, it's running perfectly now.
I replaced all of the coils with new Bosch coils from ECS about 2,500 kms ago and the car was running perfectly when I put it away last fall.

Would there be any reason for that other than new parts aren't made to the same quality standards that they use to be?
Thanks
      04-03-2024, 10:38 AM   #2
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

Last season I had misfires on cyl 6 at the track. I have Dinan ignition coils from ECS that I bought from them and I believe one has been malfunctioning.

Strange thing though, as I was accelerating engine goes limp all of a sudden, dash lights came on etc. Car barely moving and shaking. I limped along for a bit, moved to the side safely. Then while still rolling I just shut down the car, restarted, lights went away, back to full power. Finished couple more laps and all was ok. Then it happened again later in the day. I scanned the car before I went out and at that point knew that it was a misfire so wasn't worried too much. But basically restarting the engine helped resolve it on the spot. And I did not experience it on the way home, and also had another track day and it did not happen.

I tried to contact ECS for replacement but they started asking for logs etc for proof. I had cleared the errors already. Not sure it was worth pursuing warranty exchange. I just recently ordered a new spare coil to have in my track bag. If it goes again I'll just swap it onsite. But it would definitely be nice for ECS to make the exchange a little easier. Its not rocket science. I bought 6, trying to exchange a single coil. Not like I am trying to return all 6 used up coils for a refund damn it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:45 AM   #3
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by belcom View Post
Last season I had misfires on cyl 6 at the track. I have Dinan ignition coils from ECS that I bought from them and I believe one has been malfunctioning.

Strange thing though, as I was accelerating engine goes limp all of a sudden, dash lights came on etc. Car barely moving and shaking. I limped along for a bit, moved to the side safely. Then while still rolling I just shut down the car, restarted, lights went away, back to full power. Finished couple more laps and all was ok. Then it happened again later in the day. I scanned the car before I went out and at that point knew that it was a misfire so wasn't worried too much. But basically restarting the engine helped resolve it on the spot. And I did not experience it on the way home, and also had another track day and it did not happen.

I tried to contact ECS for replacement but they started asking for logs etc for proof. I had cleared the errors already. Not sure it was worth pursuing warranty exchange. I just recently ordered a new spare coil to have in my track bag. If it goes again I'll just swap it onsite. But it would definitely be nice for ECS to make the exchange a little easier. Its not rocket science. I bought 6, trying to exchange a single coil. Not like I am trying to return all 6 used up coils for a refund damn it.
I have 5 more good old ones, you're welcome to one if you need it.
      04-03-2024, 11:12 AM   #4
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
I have 5 more good old ones, you're welcome to one if you need it.
Thank you for the kind offer my friend. I do have my old ones as well kicking around. Dinan's coils are supposedly slightly more "energetic" than stock. Not sure how true that is but I didn't want to mix them anyway. Which is why I got a spare.
Appreciate 0