ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
unagi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
help - what is this brake problem?

Hi,

Could you help me identify what this might be and how much it might cost to fix?

Basically, they don't engage completely smoothly. Instead, when you are coming to a stop, everything's fine until just at the point right before it stops, then from a slow roll (1-2 MPH) to the stop, they grab suddenly. It feels almost like they stick at that point.

Also, when you let up on the brakes, if you do it very slowly, when you reach a point where the brakes are just barely engaged, they make a grinding sound as the car begins to slowly roll forward while there is still some brake pressure.

It's not a huge problem. I've been driving it like this for a year, but it's just not a totally smooth engagement. Some drivers may not even notice it. I am planning to sell this car soon and wondering if I should fix it now or let the next owner deal with it. If it's a small problem, I'd fix it though before trying to sell it.

Thanks for any tips!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Sounds exactly like my wifes e90 wagon, except for the grinding. Its especially bad when the car/brakes are cold.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
unagi
Private
Rep

Garage List
Yep, exactly!

Did you ever diagnose it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
Sounds exactly like my wifes e90 wagon, except for the grinding. Its especially bad when the car/brakes are cold.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Its been like that since new. Sticky calipers? The brake calipers used for the daily driver? Throw some racing brake pads on it and it wont do it again. I find it mostly annoying when backing out of the driveway at start up, but like I said, its been there since new.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
unagi
Private
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The dealer said it's normal and even took me out in a 750 and a Rolls to show me they make the same sounds. I said my M Coupe doesn't do this and he said it's different brakes. He said perhaps if I sanded the brakes it would lessen the sound, but it wouldn't go away.

So, since I'm planning to sell the car, I think the next owner can do it if he or she wants, not me...

Anyway, it's helpful to hear that even new BMWs make that sound and that racing brakes would make a difference, as I had wondered why I didn't hear that on my ///M.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0