ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
westunion2007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Anyone have the Power Stop brake kit for 3.0si?

Hey all, just bought a 2008 3.0si coupe which I'm picking up on Tuesday. The only issue the PPI noted was that it is due for brakes & rotors all around.

While I'm upgrading, I thought I would go for drilled/slotted rotors. I mainly do spirited weekend drives, but in the future I will likely do autocross or HPDE eventually. I figure I can buy separate pads for those occasions, so I'm mostly concerned with on-street characteristics.

Anyone bought the Power Stop Z23 Evolution Sport kit before? I found it on RockAuto for like $385. If so, could you provide some reviews of it?

Thanks!!!

Link for reference: https://www.jegs.com/i/Power-Stop/419/K935/10002/-1
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I bought the power stop kit for my 3.0i about 4 years ago.
Basically an OEM quality kit with drilled rotors.

Still going strong after many spirited drives.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #3
westunion2007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
I bought the power stop kit for my 3.0i about 4 years ago.
Basically an OEM quality kit with drilled rotors.

Still going strong after many spirited drives.
thank you! did it feel any different from stock?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

The only difference from OEM parts would have been the pads.
The rotors are the same size and the calipers are rebuilt and powder coated OEM.
I don't have a baseline to compare the power stop kit to OEM due to my stock brakes being at end of life.
I felt confidence immediately as I remember.

I will say that the pads that came in my kit produce extremely low dust.

For the price you can't go wrong.

Edit: just noticed you linked the kit without the calipers. I needed a complete overhaul at the time so went with their calipers as well.
Summit Racing was the best price at that time.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 11-09-2020 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #5
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Have a plan b, I order from amazon on prime day. had a huge discount, they all said in stock, amazon got delay for 3-4 month, I originally didn't need it and was expecting a 2 months wait. BY 4th month, it was getting cold so I didn't want to change them out in mid-winter, so I order from summit which also said in stock and it got delay for a month, I email csr and they actually told me it will be a couple of month, brake pads they got but not rotors, I'm like wtf, how long does it take to make a set of rotors. Been back order since prime day 2019. End up cancelling all of it and got something else.
      11-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
westunion2007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
The only difference from OEM parts would have been the pads.
The rotors are the same size and the calipers are rebuilt and powder coated OEM.
I don't have a baseline to compare the power stop kit to OEM due to my stock brakes being at end of life.
I felt confidence immediately as I remember.

I will say that the pads that came in my kit produce extremely low dust.

For the price you can't go wrong.

Edit: just noticed you linked the kit without the calipers. I needed a complete overhaul at the time so went with their calipers as well.
Summit Racing was the best price at that time.
yeah the car I'm buying has 75k~ miles so I assume the calipers are still in good shape. it's a southern car too, so there shouldn't be winter rust issues. I do wish I could get an opportunity to clean and maybe paint the calipers, but since I'm having a shop do the brakes, I can't imagine that would be possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #7
westunion2007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ended up getting the Z26 kit because Amazon had it on sale for $340 for front/rear rotors & pads etc. Will update this thread in a month or so after they are delivered and I get them installed!
Appreciate 1
wdb4718.00
      08-19-2021, 09:45 PM   #8
FigureItOut
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i

I swapped the brakes in my 3.0i as soon as I got it. I did full rotors, calipers, and pads from Powerstop along with braided lines from UUC motorwerks. I was a little skeptical on the "cheap" option for brakes but i saw a lot of positive reviews on other forums.

Honestly I love these things. They perform adequately with almost no noise and almost no dust. I bought another kit for my wife's car when she needed new brakes and kicked myself for putting a Centric kit on my daily before finding these.

I'm sure the premium offerings outshine these, but dollar for dollar I think these are the best option out there. I've also gotten several compliments on how nice and "sporty" the kit looks post installation. These are one of the few visually obvious upgrades I did and I'm very happy I took the gamble.
Appreciate 0