ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-20-2021, 01:59 PM   #1
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Solid FCAB options for Z4M

Hey guys and gals, moving over from F82 and going full track mode on my Z4MR. Gonna do solid bushings wherever possible, and wanting to start at the FCAB. Did a quick search and it seems like most of what I saw was PU. What have you gone with? Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 07:17 PM   #2
Coi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M40i, 07 Z4MR

Hello and welcome. My recently-acquired Z4MR is in need of both FCAB and RTAB so I've been looking into some options. Because it's a street car I'm going with mild PU FCAB and OEM RTAB w/shim kit, so I can't speak from experience on what's good for track.

Most important things to know are that Z4M uses offset FCABs and shares controls arms with E46 ZHP, not E46 M3. This limits choices because many options wrong size (those for m3) or are not offset (those for e46 non-M). Many websites will list centered bushings are compatible with Z4M but this is not correct. A non-offset bushing will cause loss of caster, obviously not acceptable for a track car.

In terms of polyurethane, Powerflex seems to be the most popular choice. Most people seem to have positive impressions but one forum member did have it fail due to track use. Lots of people have these on their track cars without issue though. I'm going with Whiteline pu offset bushings on my car even though there aren't many reviews out there. They're a very good price and I know people who are happy with WL bushings on other cars. They're not even as stiff as powerflex so maybe not the best for track. Other options include Condor Speed offset bushings, which I guess are technically UHMW rather than PU if that makes a difference.

There aren't many options for solid bushings with spherical bearings that fit our cars. Need the bearing because the control arm rotates inside the bushing. The only option I saw are the SLR Speed adjustable billet lollipops. These might actually allow you have more caster than possible with a normal bushing, but it's also another adjustment you'll have to factor in to your alignment. I've not familiar with this company or the quality of their products, so maybe that's worth looking in to before purchasing. There might be other options available if you search more.

Edit: Just wanted to update and say that I decided against the Whiteline poly offset FCAB because I'm worried it reduces caster compared to the OEM Z4M bushing. (Forums say the Z4M bushing increases castor by 1 deg compared to a centered one but Whiteline claims theirs only does so my 0.5 deg. This could result in my caster on my Z4M being reduced by 0.5 deg. Now this may not actually be accurate but no one seems to actually have bought or reviewed the offset Whiteline to say otherwise.)

Last edited by Coi; 01-05-2024 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      07-20-2021, 11:37 PM   #3
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coi View Post
Hello and welcome. My recently-acquired Z4MR is in need of both FCAB and RTAB so I've been looking into some options. Because it's a street car I'm going with mild PU FCAB and OEM RTAB w/shim kit, so I can't speak from experience on what's good for track.

Most important things to know are that Z4M uses offset FCABs and shares controls arms with E46 ZHP, not E46 M3. This limits choices because many options wrong size (those for m3) or are not offset (those for e46 non-M). Many websites will list centered bushings are compatible with Z4M but this is not correct. A non-offset bushing will cause loss of caster, obviously not acceptable for a track car.

In terms of polyurethane, Powerflex seems to be the most popular choice. Most people seem to have positive impressions but one forum member did have it fail due to track use. Lots of people have these on their track cars without issue though. I'm going with Whiteline pu offset bushings on my car even though there aren't many reviews out there. They're a very good price and I know people who are happy with WL bushings on other cars. They're not even as stiff as powerflex so maybe not the best for track. Other options include Condor Speed offset bushings, which I guess are technically UHMW rather than PU if that makes a difference.

There aren't many options for solid bushings with spherical bearings that fit our cars. Need the bearing because the control arm rotates inside the bushing. The only option I saw are the SLR Speed adjustable billet lollipops. These might actually allow you have more caster than possible with a normal bushing, but it's also another adjustment you'll have to factor in to your alignment. I've not familiar with this company or the quality of their products, so maybe that's worth looking in to before purchasing. There might be other options available if you search more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spun Crankhub View Post
Hey guys and gals, moving over from F82 and going full track mode on my Z4MR. Gonna do solid bushings wherever possible, and wanting to start at the FCAB. Did a quick search and it seems like most of what I saw was PU. What have you gone with? Thanks!!!
This is closest you will find to solid. I have them.

https://www.millway.se/eccentric-con...-z4m-66mm.html
Attached Images

Coi288.50
      07-22-2021, 01:54 PM   #4
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coi View Post

This is great info! I have used Whiteline adjustable sway bar end links with good success previously, so I will have to check them out. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 01:59 PM   #5
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriuSen View Post

Definitely saw those while doing my research. Did you notice any improvement in feel or lap times after installing?
Thx
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 09:04 PM   #6
lelandr
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, E30M3, E90330i, Z3MC

Per Mike's recommendation, I ordered the Condor bushings. They installed pretty easily and look to be well made. My only concern is rotation of the outer bushing, but hopefully the inner sleeve will alleviate that problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 12:39 AM   #7
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spun Crankhub View Post
Quote:

Definitely saw those while doing my research. Did you notice any improvement in feel or lap times after installing?
Thx
Feel yes.
Laptime impossible to say. Too many variables at the track
      07-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #8
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Feel yes.
The Millway FCAB looks like it is for round control arms. Do they work with the hex arms?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:41 PM   #9
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
Quote:
Feel yes.
The Millway FCAB looks like it is for round control arms. Do they work with the hex arms?
Have been working for me.
I used in my previous track car for over 40 track days.